Nicolas, Nicolas Goaziou writes: >> OK. I can prepare a patch. > > Great. Thank you. > >> In LaTeX the floating would be kind of odd, I think. At the very >> least math floats shouldn't be Figure or Tables (IMO); unfortunately >> the Internets seem to suggest that you usually create additional >> floats via packages such as newfloat of "caption". HTML should also >> be considered... > > IIRC there is a "caption" package that can add captions to objects > without making them floats. We could support it, but without requiring > that package by default. Attached is a simple patch that works by silently drops the caption in a sneaky way. I didn't experience any problems when testing it, but you might have more insights as to whether this approach have latent issues. I think we had the discussion with leaving out packages earlier, when discussing things like wrap-float etc. As I recall, the consensus was to include the necessary packages. Thus, I think solution (iii) would require adding caption to the default package alist. Caption is a package that's very good, so I wouldn't mind it. But, I'm still not convinced that non-floating caption for equation is the correct behavior. –Rasmus -- ツ