* Emacs master, faces with :extend t let cursor vanish at EOL?!
@ 2019-10-22 19:52 Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2019-10-22 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am writing to the org-mode list first, because I have only been able
to reproduce this problem in org-mode.

With a recent Emacs master build, faces can have the :extend t property
to indicated that they should extend after the newline.  This is useful
for a user to customize, eg, for `org-block', and it also applies to
default faces like `region', `highlight' or `secondary-selection'.

Using this with a current elpa pkg of org-mode, and setting :extend t on
faces like `org-block`, "often" the cursor vanishes at the EOL of a line
using such a face.  It reliably happens for `org-block', only sometimes
for `secondary-selection'.

Has anybody else experienced that as well, or do you have any pointers
on how to further investigate this?  I think I remember that org-mode does
something with text overlays, but I can't relate that to what I see.

There might also be an issue with face inheritance and the new :extend
attribute --- I might post on emacs-devel to get a better idea of that
as well.

Thanks,
Ingo

* Re: Emacs master, faces with :extend t let cursor vanish at EOL?!
@ 2019-10-22 20:17 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2019-10-22 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers; +Cc: emacs-org list, Ingo Lohmar

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 3:52 PM Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net> wrote:

> I am writing to the org-mode list first, because I have only been able
> to reproduce this problem in org-mode.
>
> With a recent Emacs master build, faces can have the :extend t property
> to indicated that they should extend after the newline.  This is useful
> for a user to customize, eg, for `org-block', and it also applies to
> default faces like `region', `highlight' or `secondary-selection'.

Hello,

I have been seeing this issue too, but I haven't found time to create a
proper bug report for it.

But now that you have this email, I am forwarding this to the Emacs devel
list too.

The issue occurs because of the new :extend feature for faces to extend
till end of lines.

With that enabled, I have also seen that the cursor "hides" automatically
only at end of lines inside the Org source blocks. i.e within

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(message "hello")X
#+end_src

Above: X is where the cursor would be, but it would not be visible (with
the :extend t added to the org-block face). The cursor would show up again
on doing C-b i.e. bringing it to any column position other than the EOL.

@ 2019-10-23 16:06   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-10-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-devel, emacs-orgmode, ingo.lohmar

> From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 16:17:04 -0400
> Cc: emacs-org list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
>  Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net>

I suggest not to cross-post to 2 mailing lists.

> The issue occurs because of the new :extend feature for faces to extend till end of lines.
>
> With that enabled, I have also seen that the cursor "hides" automatically only at end of lines inside the Org
> source blocks. i.e within
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (message "hello")X
> #+end_src
>
> Above: X is where the cursor would be, but it would not be visible (with the :extend t added to the org-block
> face). The cursor would show up again on doing C-b i.e. bringing it to any column position other than the
> EOL.

I tried to reproduce this, but couldn't.  The OP says "often", so I
understand the problem is not 100% reproducible and the exact
situations in which it arises are not yet known.

So I suggest to find a reproducible recipe and then report it with
report-emacs-bug, so that the problem could be debugged and solved.

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs master, faces with :extend t let cursor vanish at EOL?!
@ 2020-02-04 10:07 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-04 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net> writes:

> Using this with a current elpa pkg of org-mode, and setting :extend t on
> faces like `org-block`, "often" the cursor vanishes at the EOL of a line
> using such a face.  It reliably happens for `org-block', only sometimes
> for `secondary-selection'.

can you keep track of this issue and related discussions?

I doubt there is anything we can do in Org itself, but perhaps a hint
in a docstring could help.

Let us know, thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs master, faces with :extend t let cursor vanish at EOL?!
@ 2020-02-04 19:27   ` Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2020-02-04 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 04 2020 11:07 (+0100), Bastien wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Using this with a current elpa pkg of org-mode, and setting :extend t on
>> faces like `org-block`, "often" the cursor vanishes at the EOL of a line
>> using such a face.  It reliably happens for `org-block', only sometimes
>> for `secondary-selection'.
>
> can you keep track of this issue and related discussions?
>
> I doubt there is anything we can do in Org itself, but perhaps a hint
> in a docstring could help.
>
> Let us know, thanks,

Hi Bastien,

I am confused, I thought this was fixed, but I have a really hard to find
the bug..

Some time later: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38330

Best,

@ 2020-02-04 23:16     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-04 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net> writes:

> I am confused, I thought this was fixed, but I have a really hard to find
> the bug..
>
> Some time later: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38330

Yes, it is fixed, I couldn't find the reference for this bug.

--
 Bastien