* gnus links not followed, also avl-tree error (org-capture issues)
@ 2022-04-18 15:27 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2022-04-18 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode list

Org captures have become an intrinsic part of my daily workflow, but having just upgaded emacs and orgmode, I suddenly find two errors (which clearly have related causes, at least as far as the upgrades go).

First, when I create a new capture link from a Gnus message, it successfully creates the same orgmode link it ever did, eg:
=[[gnus:mail.pro#DM5PR0801MB3799D6BD01F4178BA5F89EBBF6F39@DM5PR0801MB3799.namprd08.prod.outlook.com][Email from Bonnie Bingham: Fw: Moody approved to work]]
However, when attempting to FOLLOW that link it doesn't take me there, instead prompting me with =No match - create this as a new heading? (y or n)
Second, most of my plain (just me typing entries) captures fail to complete at all.

=org-capture: Capture abort: Wrong type argument: avl-tree-, nil
This is sending me back years to before I developed a nicely tuned org workflow, and it isn't pleasant. Is there something I forgot to include, or have there been breaking syntax changes somewhere?

Org mode version 9.5.2 (9.5.2-ga0755e @ /home/torysa/emacs/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)

GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)

- Tory

* Re: gnus links not followed, also avl-tree error (org-capture issues)
@ 2022-04-18 15:59 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-04-18 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: orgmode list

webdev@toryanderson.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Second, most of my plain (just me typing entries) captures fail to complete at all.
>
> =org-capture: Capture abort: Wrong type argument: avl-tree-, nil
> This is sending me back years to before I developed a nicely tuned org workflow, and it isn't pleasant. Is there something I forgot to include, or have there been breaking syntax changes somewhere?

Thanks for reporting! Are you able to reproduce with emacs -Q?
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

Best,
Ihor

* Re: gnus links not followed, also avl-tree error (org-capture issues)
@ 2022-04-18 16:54   ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2022-04-18 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: orgmode list

> webdev@toryanderson.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:
>
>> Second, most of my plain (just me typing entries) captures fail to complete at all.
>>
>> =org-capture: Capture abort: Wrong type argument: avl-tree-, nil
>> This is sending me back years to before I developed a nicely tuned org workflow, and it isn't pleasant. Is there something I forgot to include, or have there been breaking syntax changes somewhere?
>
> Thanks for reporting! Are you able to reproduce with emacs -Q?

Thanks! I am not sure what an emacs -Q would mean in cases like this, since they are custom written capture templates in the first place, so -Q would lose them.

Important update: By including all of org-contrib the two problems go away, although other problems are introduced. But trying to search the contrib for which things in particular are solving these errors has not been successful.

@ 2022-04-19  3:03     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-04-19  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: orgmode list

"Tory S. Anderson" <webdev@toryanderson.com> writes:

>> Thanks for reporting! Are you able to reproduce with emacs -Q?
>
> Thanks! I am not sure what an emacs -Q would mean in cases like this, since they are custom written capture templates in the first place, so -Q would lose them.

Please refer to https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html
Basically, you can create the minimal possible config containing your
problematic custom capture template and whatever it takes to trigger the
problem and share it + steps to reproduce.

Otherwise, it is very difficult to debug the problem on our side.

> Important update: By including all of org-contrib the two problems go away, although other problems are introduced. But trying to search the contrib for which things in particular are solving these errors has not been successful.

You may try to bisect your config. I have recorded a video explaining
how to do it:
https://open.tube/videos/watch/4d819114-43bf-42df-af94-f94fc53dd0d9

Best,
Ihor

* [RESOLVED] Re: gnus links not followed, also avl-tree error (org-capture issues)
@ 2022-04-21 17:31       ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2022-04-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: orgmode list

The avl-tree error was an issue with vertico, which I updated and it went away.

The Gnus Links error seems to have gone away with that updgrade, too.

Thanks!
- Tory