Hi Eric, >> Is it possible to disable fetching remote files by some setting? > > I would not want automatic retrieval of URLs without confirmation. This already occurs with #+setupfile. I think this is a good point to raise, but a slightly separate one as it concerns the pre-existing behaviour of org-file-contents. A new patch set introducing a defcustom with three values (t, prompt, nil) and accompanying modification to org-file-contents (it’s the only use of `url-retrieve-synchronously' other than org-feed I see) would probably be a decent idea. If nobody makes such a patch in the next week or so I’ll take a punt at this. All the best, Timothy