* [BUG] Incorrect fontification of src blocks for indentation sensitive language modes
@ 2022-08-16 17:47 Bhavin Gandhi
From: Bhavin Gandhi @ 2022-08-16 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In the following Org mode file, the Ledger mode source block is not
highlighted correctly.

How to reproduce:
1. Clone Ledger mode: git clone
https://github.com/ledger/ledger-mode.git /tmp/ledger-mode
2. emacs -Q -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp
3. Evaluate the following in the *scratch* buffer.

(add-to-list 'load-path "/tmp/ledger-mode")
(require 'ledger-mode)

4. Create an Org mode file test.org with following content
* Some heading
- Option one
  #+begin_src ledger
  2022/08/16 Buy books
      Expenses:Books                              ₹299
      Assets:Cash
  #+end_src

5. The block is not fontified.
6. Now go to the src block and do C-c ', you will see the block
   correctly fontified, and after doing C-c ' again, we are back to
   incorrect fontification.

I tried to debug this and found the function
org-src-font-lock-fontify-block. Turns out that the code block is
actually being fontified, but Ledger mode seems to get the block with
indentation. I found this by adding a (message string) in this function.

  2022/08/16 Buy books
      Expenses:Books                              ₹299
      Assets:Cash

Notice the extra indentation at the beginning of year 2022. This block
is not valid Ledger mode content, so it just keeps it grayed out,
instead of having colors. If we remove the indentation from the src block in
the Org mode file, it gets fontified correctly.

Setting org-adapt-indentation to t didn't make any difference. Value of
org-src-fontify-natively is t by default. I even tried
https://github.com/yantar92/org/tree/feature/org-font-lock-element, it
had the same issue.
I think the language mode should get the block without the extra
indentation. Or am I missing something here?

PS: I haven't looked at the code of org-src-font-lock-fontify-block in
detail, so I could be wrong with this analysis.

--
Bhavin Gandhi (bhavin192) | https://geeksocket.in

* Re: [BUG] Incorrect fontification of src blocks for indentation sensitive language modes
@ 2022-08-17  9:39 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-17  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhavin Gandhi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bhavin Gandhi <bhavin7392@gmail.com> writes:

> In the following Org mode file, the Ledger mode source block is not
> highlighted correctly.
>
> How to reproduce:

Confirmed.
Another example is
https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/wi0jq9/highlight_doesnt_work_for_src_block_of_diff_with/

> PS: I haven't looked at the code of org-src-font-lock-fontify-block in
> detail, so I could be wrong with this analysis.

`org-src-font-lock-fontify-block' is indeed the culprit. It copies the
text between begin/end markers verbatim without adjusting the
indentation. The proper way would be using an approach similar to
`org-edit-src-code', but it may be tricky to map the fontification back
into the original block without a need to delete/re-insert the code into
Org buffer. Editing during fontification is a bad idea, so some kind of
smarter approach should be used in order to fix this.

P.S. I am genuinely surprised that this bug is only revealed now.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Incorrect fontification of src blocks for indentation sensitive language modes
@ 2022-08-17 11:42   ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2022-08-17 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Bhavin Gandhi, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 17 Aug 2022 at 17:39, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> P.S. I am genuinely surprised that this bug is only revealed now.

I'm not.  Is there any other language whose fontification is indentation
dependent?  Python is indentation based but the fontification doesn't
get affected (generally speaking) as it's keyword based.

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.4-737-gd3a9c4 in Emacs 29.0.50