* Feature in org-move-item-down
@ 2007-03-17  3:15 Mike Newman
From: Mike Newman @ 2007-03-17  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It appears org-move-item-down treats blank lines as part of the
preceding list item (whereas I use them to separate a list from
subsequent text).

So given

- a test
- b test
- c test

test

with point on line b, M-x org-move-item-down gives
- a test
- c test

- b test
test

Thanks
--
Mike

* Re: Feature in org-move-item-down
@ 2007-03-18  7:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-18  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Newman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 17, 2007, at 4:15, Mike Newman wrote:

> It appears org-move-item-down treats blank lines as part of the
> preceding list item (whereas I use them to separate a list from
> subsequent text).
>
> So given
>
> - a test
> - b test
> - c test
>
> test
>
> with point on line b, M-x org-move-item-down gives
> - a test
> - c test
>
> - b test
> test

The problem with is this is following.  Suppose I made the item end
before the
empty line, as you suggest.  Then consider the following case:

- a test

- b test

- c test

If I now move "b" up, I get

- b test
- a test

- c test

I don't think there is a good solution to this problem - if you
know one, I would be interested.

- Carsten

* Fwd: Feature in org-move-item-down
       [not found]     ` <b71b18520703182004s36dc1102ibef10f215b135fb0@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-03-19  3:22       ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-03-19  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Once again, it hit reply instead of reply-all.

Edd

From: Mike Newman @ 2007-03-19  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

--

@ 2007-03-19  5:20     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-19  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Newman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 19, 2007, at 4:26, Mike Newman wrote:

> The manual (section 2.8) says
>
> "Indentation also determines the end of a list item.  It ends before
> the next line that is indented like the bullet/number, or less."

Yes, you are right, I am treating an empty line as a line with a large
indentation.

Suppose I did what you suggest, treating it as a line with no
indentation:

- one

- two
   - two a
   - two b
   - two c

- three

Now "- three" will not be treated as third item in the list
started by "- one", but it will be starting a new list...

Whatever I do, this is very fragile, and I would have to require
to never put any empty line between items.  What we have
now is at least stable.  I agree that making empty lines
always close all levels of items would be another stable
implementation.  Hmmmmmm.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Feature in org-move-item-down
@ 2007-03-19  7:37       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-03-19  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I agree that making empty lines always close all levels of items would
> be another stable implementation.  Hmmmmmm.

I think the current implementation is okay, leaving the possibility for
list items to contain empty lines.  Great for long list items, and more
publishing-oriented org files.

Bastien

* Re: Feature in org-move-item-down
@ 2007-03-19 12:13         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-19 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 19, 2007, at 4:22, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

> Once again, it hit reply instead of reply-all.
>
> Edd

If at all, this may make a difference in visibility cycling (and
then only in Emacs 21), certainly not in the items.

- Carsten