Alan Dove writes: > In my work, I often take notes at a meeting while simultaneously > taping it. Same here. In addition to what Adam sent, i see two solutions: 1. Use org-clock-in, org-clock-out and org-clock-report. Put the time report (C-c C-x C-r) at the beginning of the first level of your writing, then clock (out and) in each time you insert a new sublevel. Make sure clock-out is not a member of `org-log-done' so that you won't be prompted for a log entry each time you clock out. 2. Use an `Elapsed_time' property. Here is a quick hack that could help: