* Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-04 13:18 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-04 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It would be nice to have an interactive org-agenda-set-category
alongside org-agenda-set-tag
in the agenda buffer.

This would allow one to quickly categorize tasks.

Later, it might also be  nice to implement a function that  say
rearranges all todo entries of a particular category under a
common section. I find myself doing this by hand at present, and
Emacs will probably do it better than my fingers.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-04 18:00 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-04 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> It would be nice to have an interactive org-agenda-set-category
> alongside org-agenda-set-tag in the agenda buffer.

I think it doesn't make sense to have `org-agenda-set-category' until we
are able to set the category as a property of the headline.

For now categories (like the archiving locations) are set by looking
*backward* for a line like #+CATEGORY or #+ARCHIVE.

When setting the category with `org-agenda-set-category', where should
such a line be inserted/modified? Just above the headline? Then storing
this headline won't delete the #+CATEGORY line. Just under the headline?
Then the headline itself won't be recognized as belonging to that
category...  See the discussion here:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2898

Please anybody stops me if I'm wrong, but I guess the #+ARCHIVE and
#+CATEGORY instructions are slowly dying and will be set as properties
in the future. We already (as of 5.07) have these new properties when
archiving:

  :ARCHIVE_TIME: 2007-09-01 sam 05:54
  :ARCHIVE_FILE: ~/org/bzg.org
  :ARCHIVE_CATEGORY: nothot

Then, in the new world, where such #+CONSTRUCTS are only used to set
*file* properties (not headlines properties), it will be okay to set
whatever property you want through the column view -- and perhaps the
column view itself would be available in the agenda ebuffer, which
would let you have your `org-agenda-set-category'.

(Of course #+CATEGORY will remain, but only as a way to categorize
files, not headlines.)

> This would allow one to quickly categorize tasks.

Yes, as the column view allows quick selection of *any* property.

> Later, it might also be nice to implement a function that say
> rearranges all todo entries of a particular category under a common
> section. I find myself doing this by hand at present, and Emacs will
> probably do it better than my fingers.

Maybe `org-sort-entries' could group entries that have a property in
common.

--
Bastien

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-05  1:00 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-05  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   It would be nice to have an interactive org-agenda-set-category
   alongside org-agenda-set-tag
   in the agenda buffer.

+1

   Later, it might also be  nice to implement a function that  say
   rearranges all todo entries of a particular category under a
   common section. I find myself doing this by hand at present, and
   Emacs will probably do it better than my fingers.

Also +1. This one is even a must-have for me.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-05  2:16   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-05  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bzg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Putting it immediately after the headline is how I would
implement it.

And it would work depending on ones workstyle --- most features
of org  make sense only in the context of a work style.

@ 2007-09-05  3:40   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-05  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 4, 2007, at 20:00, Bastien wrote:

> "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
>
>> It would be nice to have an interactive org-agenda-set-category
>> alongside org-agenda-set-tag in the agenda buffer.
>
> I think it doesn't make sense to have `org-agenda-set-category' until
> we
> are able to set the category as a property of the headline.
>
> For now categories (like the archiving locations) are set by looking
> *backward* for a line like #+CATEGORY or #+ARCHIVE.
>
> When setting the category with `org-agenda-set-category', where should
> such a line be inserted/modified? Just above the headline? Then storing
> this headline won't delete the #+CATEGORY line. Just under the
> headline?
> Then the headline itself won't be recognized as belonging to that
> category...  See the discussion here:
>
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2898
>
> Please anybody stops me if I'm wrong, but I guess the #+ARCHIVE and
> #+CATEGORY instructions are slowly dying and will be set as properties
> in the future.

I have been thinking in this direction as well.  The only problem is
that properties are quite invisible during normal working.

But I agree that the multiple #+CATEGORY things in a single file are
complex and not very clean, so properties might be better.

> Then, in the new world, where such #+CONSTRUCTS are only used to set
> *file* properties (not headlines properties),

Yes, I'd like to go there, eventually.

>  it will be okay to set
> whatever property you want through the column view -- and perhaps the
> column view itself would be available in the agenda ebuffer

it is!

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-05  5:19     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-05  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>>  it will be okay to set
>> whatever property you want through the column view -- and perhaps the
>> column view itself would be available in the agenda ebuffer
>
> it is!

Argh... I didn't even give it a try, shame on me. But now that I boldly
did, C-c C-x C-c in the agenda buffer complained:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
|   org-get-level-face(2)
|   org-columns-display-here((("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")))
|   #[(x) "Á\b@!ˆÂ\bA!‡" [x goto-line org-columns-display-here] 2]((15 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")))
|   mapc(#[(x) "Á\b@!ˆÂ\bA!‡" [x goto-line org-columns-display-here] 2] ((15 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")) (14 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")) (13 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")) (12 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")) (10 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-07 ven") ("CLOSED" . "2007-09-04 mar 18:38")) (9) (5)))
|   org-agenda-columns()
|   call-interactively(org-agenda-columns)
`----

Looks like `org-columns-display-here' is expecting some *real* headings
with leading asterisks (See (looking-at "\\(\\**\\)\\(\\* \\)")).

Or did I miss something?

--
Bastien

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-05  6:08       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-05  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, a minor thing, fixed now.

- Carsten
On Sep 5, 2007, at 7:19, Bastien wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>>>  it will be okay to set
>>> whatever property you want through the column view -- and perhaps the
>>> column view itself would be available in the agenda ebuffer
>>
>> it is!
>
> Argh... I didn't even give it a try, shame on me. But now that I boldly
> did, C-c C-x C-c in the agenda buffer complained:
>
> ,----
> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument
> number-or-marker-p nil)
> |   org-get-level-face(2)
> |   org-columns-display-here((("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")))
> |   #[(x) "Á\b@!ˆÂ\bA!‡" [x goto-line org-columns-display-here] 2]((15
> ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")))
> |   mapc(#[(x) "Á\b@!ˆÂ\bA!‡" [x goto-line org-columns-display-here] 2]
> ((15 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")) (14 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08
> sam")) (13 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-08 sam")) (12 ("SCHEDULED" .
> "2007-09-08 sam")) (10 ("SCHEDULED" . "2007-09-07 ven") ("CLOSED" .
> "2007-09-04 mar 18:38")) (9) (5)))
> |   org-agenda-columns()
> |   call-interactively(org-agenda-columns)
> `----
>
> Looks like `org-columns-display-here' is expecting some *real* headings
> with leading asterisks (See (looking-at "\\(\\**\\)\\(\\* \\)")).
>
> Or did I miss something?
>
> --
> Bastien

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-06  3:43     ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-06  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm perfectly happy to do this with properties rather than
categories. But I suggested categories because that is what
agenda  views are using at present in the left column.
Could we perhaps introduce a special property that is used by
org-agenda to build the left column?

@ 2007-09-06  5:34       ` Bastien
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-06  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> Could we perhaps introduce a special property that is used by
> org-agenda to build the left column?

What about:

  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: general
  :ARCHIVE: archives::
  :END:

as a future replacement for #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?

--
Bastien

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-06  9:25       ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-09-06  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

T. V. Raman <raman <at> users.sf.net> writes:

> I'm perfectly happy to do this with properties rather than
> categories. But I suggested categories because that is what
> agenda  views are using at present in the left column.
> Could we perhaps introduce a special property that is used by
> org-agenda to build the left column?

If you are just trying to change the layout of the agenda entries you might want
to look at org-finalize-agenda-entries or org-agenda-highlight-todo to see if
you could make the output for one agenda line somehow customizeable.

HTH
Christian

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-06 13:25         ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-06 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bzg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

That would get some level of consistency  in which sounds like a
good idea.

@ 2007-09-07  8:04         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-07  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 6, 2007, at 7:34, Bastien wrote:

> "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
>
>> Could we perhaps introduce a special property that is used by
>> org-agenda to build the left column?
>
> What about:
>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :CATEGORY: general
>   :ARCHIVE: archives::
>   :END:
>
> as a future replacement for #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?

I think this is exactly how it should be - I am only
hesitating because many people have come to rely on the other
behavior.

- Carsten

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-09 14:21           ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2007-09-09 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2007, at 7:34, Bastien wrote:
>> "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
>>> Could we perhaps introduce a special property that is used by
>>> org-agenda to build the left column?
>>
>> What about:
>>
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :CATEGORY: general
>> :ARCHIVE: archives::
>> :END:
>>
>> as a future replacement for #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?
>
> I think this is exactly how it should be - I am only
> hesitating because many people have come to rely on the other
> behavior.

If this would mean that the category setting like this is for only
that subtree, instead of every entry after that category setting, I
support this feature immensely (same for archive ofcourse).

I can not use categories at all at the moment, since for most entries
I just have a "default" category which will do, but some things should
get a special category - and I hate littering #+CATEGORY lines under
entries which clearly should not have them, like:

#+CATEGORY: Common

* TODO Item 1
* Job tasks
#+CATEGORY: Job
** TODO Task 1
** TODO Task 2
#+CATEGORY: Common
* Todo Item 2

This is just ugly, compared to:

#+CATEGORY: Common

* TODO Item 1
* Job tasks
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Job
  :END:
** TODO Task 1
** TODO Task 2
* Todo Item 2

-- Naked

* Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-10  1:00         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-10  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

   > Could we perhaps introduce a special property that is used by
   > org-agenda to build the left column?

   What about:

     :PROPERTIES:
     :CATEGORY: general
     :ARCHIVE: archives::
     :END:

   as a future replacement for #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?

I adhere to this notation. I would also keep the old notation for
compliance for 2 or 3 other future versions.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Re: Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
@ 2007-09-13  5:44             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-13  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nuutti Kotivuori; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 9, 2007, at 16:21, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>>
>>> What about:
>>>
>>> :PROPERTIES:
>>> :CATEGORY: general
>>> :ARCHIVE: archives::
>>> :END:
>>>
>>> as a future replacement for #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?
>>
>> I think this is exactly how it should be - I am only
>> hesitating because many people have come to rely on the other
>> behavior.
>
> If this would mean that the category setting like this is for only
> that subtree, instead of every entry after that category setting, I
> support this feature immensely (same for archive ofcourse).

Yes, it will be like this, but not in 5.09, wait for 5.10 for this
feature.

- Carsten