* How to measure a project's %complete?
@ 2009-08-18  2:03 Christopher DeMarco
From: Christopher DeMarco @ 2009-08-18  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all...

I like to use checkboxes with the magic cookies to track my progress
through something complex.  This works nicely for a single TODO
composed of multiple little steps; is something similar possible for a
hierarchy of TODO items?  I.e. (assume "DONE", "PROJECT" and "TODO"
are defined as state keywords):

* PROJECT Overhaul personal productivity [50%]
** DONE Clean my desk
** TODO Learn Org

I've tried this using plain lists, but they seem to be incompatible
with state keywords, and likewise checkboxes don't work with outline
levels.

It's not a showstopper, but it would be nice to be able to
automagically evaluate how far along the path a particular PROJECT is,
based upon its constituents' state.

Thanks in advance!

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com>
IT Director

* Re: How to measure a project's %complete?
@ 2009-08-18 13:34 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-08-18 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher DeMarco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com> writes:

> Hi all...
>
> I like to use checkboxes with the magic cookies to track my progress
> through something complex.  This works nicely for a single TODO
> composed of multiple little steps; is something similar possible for a
> hierarchy of TODO items?  I.e. (assume "DONE", "PROJECT" and "TODO"
> are defined as state keywords):
>
> * PROJECT Overhaul personal productivity [50%]
> ** DONE Clean my desk
> ** TODO Learn Org
>
> I've tried this using plain lists, but they seem to be incompatible
> with state keywords, and likewise checkboxes don't work with outline
> levels.
>
> It's not a showstopper, but it would be nice to be able to
> automagically evaluate how far along the path a particular PROJECT is,
> based upon its constituents' state.
>
> Thanks in advance!

This already works.

,----[ x.org ]

| * Test [1/2] [50%]
| ** DONE Clean my desk
|    CLOSED: [2009-08-18 Tue 09:33]
|    :LOGBOOK:
|    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-08-18 Tue 09:33]
|    :END:
| ** TODO Learn Org
`----

-Bernt

* Re: How to measure a project's %complete?
@ 2009-08-18 13:36 ` Benjamin Andresen
From: Benjamin Andresen @ 2009-08-18 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey Christopher,

Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com> writes:

> * PROJECT Overhaul personal productivity [50%]
> ** DONE Clean my desk
> ** TODO Learn Org

I copied exactly those 3 lines and put them in foo.bar and pressed C-c
C-t on "Learn Org" and the [50%] became [100%]

If this doesn't work for you, you might not be on the latest
org-version. The one bundled with emacs23 should definitely be able to
do it.

> Thanks in advance!

HTH,
benny

* Re: How to measure a project's %complete?
@ 2009-08-18 13:38   ` Christopher DeMarco
From: Christopher DeMarco @ 2009-08-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue Aug 18 09:34:42 2009 -0400, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> This already works.

Well I'll be...

Thanks!

--

@ 2009-08-18 13:43   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-08-18 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher DeMarco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all...
>>
>> I like to use checkboxes with the magic cookies to track my progress
>> through something complex.  This works nicely for a single TODO
>> composed of multiple little steps; is something similar possible for a
>> hierarchy of TODO items?  I.e. (assume "DONE", "PROJECT" and "TODO"
>> are defined as state keywords):
>>
>> * PROJECT Overhaul personal productivity [50%]
>> ** DONE Clean my desk
>> ** TODO Learn Org
>>
>> I've tried this using plain lists, but they seem to be incompatible
>> with state keywords, and likewise checkboxes don't work with outline
>> levels.
>>
>> It's not a showstopper, but it would be nice to be able to
>> automagically evaluate how far along the path a particular PROJECT is,
>> based upon its constituents' state.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> This already works.
>
> ,----[ x.org ]
> |
> | * Test [1/2] [50%]
> | ** DONE Clean my desk
> |    CLOSED: [2009-08-18 Tue 09:33]
> |    :LOGBOOK:
> |    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-08-18 Tue 09:33]
> |    :END:
> | ** TODO Learn Org
> `----

Or maybe I jumped the gun a bit here.  It works for the first level of
hierarchy similar to the way lists work.  The level 1 task only counts
level 2 items.  You can have separate cookies on the level 2 tasks which
count the level 3 subtasks etc.

There is no way to count all of the items in the subtree AFAIK.

i.e.  This is not currently possible

* PROJECT Test [0/10]  <-- this cookie would say [0/6] not [0/10]
** TODO Step 1 (1)
** TODO Step 2 (2)
** TODO Step 3 (3)
** TODO Step 4 (4)
*** TODO Step 5 (4.1)
*** TODO Step 6 (4.2)
*** TODO Step 7 (4.3)
** TODO Step 8 (5)
** TODO Step 9 (6)
*** TODO Step 10 (6.1)

-Bernt

* Re: How to measure a project's %complete?
@ 2009-08-18 14:09     ` Christopher DeMarco
From: Christopher DeMarco @ 2009-08-18 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue Aug 18 09:43:25 2009 -0400, Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Or maybe I jumped the gun a bit here.  It works for the first level of
> hierarchy similar to the way lists work.  The level 1 task only counts
> level 2 items.  You can have separate cookies on the level 2 tasks which
> count the level 3 subtasks etc.
>
> There is no way to count all of the items in the subtree AFAIK.

Yeah, I was fiddling with that as well.  And as far as I can tell,
org-hierarchical-checkbox-statistics doesn't work for this case the
way that it does for checklists.

I think I can workaround this by making my planning clearer and not
hiding assumptions in structural complexity :-)

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com>
IT Director
MAYA Group
+1-412-708-9660

* Re: Re: How to measure a project's %complete?
@ 2009-08-18 14:34       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher DeMarco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 18, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> On Tue Aug 18 09:43:25 2009 -0400, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Or maybe I jumped the gun a bit here.  It works for the first level
>> of
>> hierarchy similar to the way lists work.  The level 1 task only
>> counts
>> level 2 items.  You can have separate cookies on the level 2 tasks
>> which
>> count the level 3 subtasks etc.
>>
>> There is no way to count all of the items in the subtree AFAIK.
>
> Yeah, I was fiddling with that as well.  And as far as I can tell,
> org-hierarchical-checkbox-statistics doesn't work for this case the
> way that it does for checklists.

Wow, you found that undocumented variable?  Nice.
 From there it is not far to find the corresponding variable
for TODO statistics....  Can you guess the name? :-)

- Carsten

* Re: Re: How to measure a project's %complete?
@ 2009-08-18 15:26         ` Christopher DeMarco
From: Christopher DeMarco @ 2009-08-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue Aug 18 15:34:51 2009 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Wow, you found that undocumented variable?  Nice.

Nice++ would be my submitting patches to the Info :-)