* Drill mode for org-learn
@ 2010-07-30  5:26 Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-07-30  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have nearly finished a basic "drill mode" for org-learn. It works a bit
like Anki/Mnemosyne.

When invoked, it scans files for topics which either have the tag :question:,
or have the LEARN_DATA property (set by org-learn), and which are either
unscheduled (ie new) or are not scheduled in the future.

It shuffles them, picks a random subset if
'org-learn-maximum-items-per-drill-session' is set, and presents them one
by one. The user presses a key, then presses a key 0-5 to rate their
recall. 'org-smart-reschedule' is called for every reviewed item at the
end of the test.

Example topics which it understands:

1. The body under the heading tagged :question: is shown, with the :back:
(ie "back of the card") subsection hidden.

* Greeting Q1                                   :question:
What is your name? (informal)
** Answer                                           :back:
¿Cómo te llamas?

2. A card with both a front and a back. One side will be shown at random,
with the other hidden.

* Noun                                          :question:
** Front                                           :front:
el gato
** Back                                             :back:
the cat

3. Cloze deletion. Text within SINGLE square brackets is obscured
with a special font.

* Grammar rule                                  :question:
To form an adverb from an adjective, add [-mente] to
the [feminine] (gender) form of the adjective.

I have a slight problem however. I don't know how to "record" headings so I
can revisit them later. I need something like:

(org-map-entries
  (lambda () (push (org-save-this-heading) headings))
  "" files)

(dolist (heading headings)
   (jump-to-heading heading)
   ...)

Saving the buffer position does not work because each call to
org-smart-reschedule alters the contents of the buffer.

If/when I solve this problem, I should be able to release this code.

Paul

* Re: Drill mode for org-learn
@ 2010-07-30 16:20 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-07-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> writes:

> I have nearly finished a basic "drill mode" for org-learn. It works a bit
> like Anki/Mnemosyne.
>
> When invoked, it scans files for topics which either have the tag :question:,
> or have the LEARN_DATA property (set by org-learn), and which are either
> unscheduled (ie new) or are not scheduled in the future.
>
> It shuffles them, picks a random subset if
> 'org-learn-maximum-items-per-drill-session' is set, and presents them one
> by one. The user presses a key, then presses a key 0-5 to rate their
> recall. 'org-smart-reschedule' is called for every reviewed item at the
> end of the test.
>
> Example topics which it understands:
>
> 1. The body under the heading tagged :question: is shown, with the :back:
> (ie "back of the card") subsection hidden.
>
> * Greeting Q1                                   :question:
> What is your name? (informal)
> ** Answer                                           :back:
> ¿Cómo te llamas?
>
> 2. A card with both a front and a back. One side will be shown at random,
> with the other hidden.
>
> * Noun                                          :question:
> ** Front                                           :front:
> el gato
> ** Back                                             :back:
> the cat
>
> 3. Cloze deletion. Text within SINGLE square brackets is obscured
> with a special font.
>
> * Grammar rule                                  :question:
> To form an adverb from an adjective, add [-mente] to
> the [feminine] (gender) form of the adjective.
>
> I have a slight problem however. I don't know how to "record" headings so I
> can revisit them later. I need something like:
>
> (org-map-entries
>   (lambda () (push (org-save-this-heading) headings))
>   "" files)
>
> (dolist (heading headings)
>    (jump-to-heading heading)
>    ...)
>
> Saving the buffer position does not work because each call to
> org-smart-reschedule alters the contents of the buffer.

Hi Paul,

This sounds like it could be solved by using 'markers'?

(info "elisp(Markers)")

Carsten uses them quite a bit in org; try grep'ing for `move-marker' and
`make-marker'.

Dan