* org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 20:19 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-09 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Most spreadsheets I know off are able to sum rows in colum,
by marking it with the mouse and then call the sum
function. I can't find that functionality in org modes
table.
Could that be easily implemented?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 20:42 ` Bernt Hansen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-09 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> Most spreadsheets I know off are able to sum rows in colum,
> by marking it with the mouse and then call the sum
> function. I can't find that functionality in org modes
> table.
> Could that be easily implemented?
>
> thanks

I don't think that is available with mouse functionality but in a column
in a table you can do C-c + to sum the values and display the result.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 20:53   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> Hello
   >>
   >> Most spreadsheets I know off are able to sum rows in colum,
   >> by marking it with the mouse and then call the sum
   >> function. I can't find that functionality in org modes
   >> table.
   >> Could that be easily implemented?
   >>
   >> thanks

   > I don't think that is available with mouse
   > functionality but in a column in a table you can do C-c
   > + to sum the values and display the result.

I am not sure I understand take the following example

| 3 | 8 | ^ |
| 4 |   |   |
| ^ |   |   |

So I put the cursor ^ either below the 4 and press C-c + but
then I am informed that a 0 will be inserted (using F10
(which is bound in my setting to C-y))
the same happens when I put the cursor besides the 8

Uwe

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 20:57   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-09 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> Hello
   >>
   >> Most spreadsheets I know off are able to sum rows in colum,
   >> by marking it with the mouse and then call the sum
   >> function. I can't find that functionality in org modes
   >> table.
   >> Could that be easily implemented?
   >>
   >> thanks

   > I don't think that is available with mouse
   > functionality but in a column in a table you can do C-c
   > + to sum the values and display the result.

Ok my mistake the cursor has to be over the last element of
the colum not in the empty row below. Nice thanks.

But is there a similar functionality for columns?  That is I
don't want to add the whole columns but the elements of one
row.

Uwe

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 20:57     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-09 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>    >> Hello
>    >>
>    >> Most spreadsheets I know off are able to sum rows in colum,
>    >> by marking it with the mouse and then call the sum
>    >> function. I can't find that functionality in org modes
>    >> table.
>    >> Could that be easily implemented?
>    >>
>    >> thanks
>
>    > I don't think that is available with mouse
>    > functionality but in a column in a table you can do C-c
>    > + to sum the values and display the result.
>
> I am not sure I understand take the following example
>
> | 3 | 8 | ^ |
> | 4 |   |   |
> | ^ |   |   |
>
> So I put the cursor ^ either below the 4 and press C-c + but
> then I am informed that a 0 will be inserted (using F10
> (which is bound in my setting to C-y))
> the same happens when I put the cursor besides the 8

What version of org-mode are you using?  (M-x org-version)

Below the 4 I get the following in the message window:

C-c +
Sum of 2 items: 7                        (<S-insertchar> will insert result into buffer)

and in the 3rd column beside the 8 I get a result of zero

-Bernt

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 20:59     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-09 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>    >> Hello
>    >>
>    >> Most spreadsheets I know off are able to sum rows in colum,
>    >> by marking it with the mouse and then call the sum
>    >> function. I can't find that functionality in org modes
>    >> table.
>    >> Could that be easily implemented?
>    >>
>    >> thanks
>
>    > I don't think that is available with mouse
>    > functionality but in a column in a table you can do C-c
>    > + to sum the values and display the result.
>
> Ok my mistake the cursor has to be over the last element of
> the colum not in the empty row below. Nice thanks.

It should work in any element of a column - not just the last.  It works
fine for me on the empty cell as well.

> But is there a similar functionality for columns?  That is I
> don't want to add the whole columns but the elements of one
> row.

I don't think there is row summing functionality (but I could be wrong)
-- there are so many functions that org-mode provides I can't keep track
of them all :)

-Bernt

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 21:00   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-09 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >>
   >> thanks

   > I don't think that is available with mouse
   > functionality but in a column in a table you can do C-c
   > + to sum the values and display the result.

That should be the last mail. I should have tested the
function I told me in more detail before firing up the
email. C-c + works also for the columns the way I wanted it
do. I have just to mark the region.

Cool, thanks

Uwe

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 21:04     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-09 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>    >>
>    >> thanks
>
>    > I don't think that is available with mouse
>    > functionality but in a column in a table you can do C-c
>    > + to sum the values and display the result.
>
> That should be the last mail. I should have tested the
> function I told me in more detail before firing up the
> email. C-c + works also for the columns the way I wanted it
> do. I have just to mark the region.
>
> Cool, thanks

Cool!  I learned something new today too! :)

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 21:09       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-09 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >>
   >> Ok my mistake the cursor has to be over the last
   >> element of the colum not in the empty row below. Nice
   >> thanks.

   > It should work in any element of a column - not just
   > the last.  It works fine for me on the empty cell as
   > well.

Oops for me not, but then I am using 6.34 (too lazy to
upgrade) may be that is good moment to do it.

* Re: org tbl, sum elements in a colum with the mouse
@ 2010-10-09 22:15         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-09 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>    >>
>    >> Ok my mistake the cursor has to be over the last
>    >> element of the colum not in the empty row below. Nice
>    >> thanks.
>
>    > It should work in any element of a column - not just
>    > the last.  It works fine for me on the empty cell as
>    > well.
>
> Oops for me not, but then I am using 6.34 (too lazy to
> upgrade) may be that is good moment to do it.

6.34 is ancient (from Jan 10 2010).  I suggest you upgrade.

-Bernt