* Re: TaskJuggler3, revisited
@ 2010-11-02  2:05 Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2010-11-02  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Mode; +Cc: Christian Egli

Hi everyone,

Christian Egli and I have been having an off-list exchange about
making a TaskJuggler3 exporter. In fact, Christian would like to
change the current exporter to export to either TaskJuggler2 or
TaskJuggler3, depending on a defcustom! We have quite a number of
ideas in the pipeline now, and thought it would be best to move the
discussion, and access to the source code, back onto the list.

Christian has set up a github repository with the changes he is making
here: http://github.com/egli/org-mode

And the code I sent to Christian, which makes the exporter work with
TJ3, and also introduces some bug fixes and new features is here: http://github.com/alander/org-taskjuggler3
. Please note that this is different from Christian's code, and that
he is the maintainer of the exporter that is part of org-mode. I
needed something to work, so I spent an afternoon hacking until it did
what I needed.

If you are interested in the details, our e-mail exchange is
reproduced below.

   -Anthony

------------------------8<-------------------------

	From: 	christian.egli@sbs.ch
	Subject: 	Re: [Orgmode] Re: TaskJuggler 3, revisited
	Date: 	October 19, 2010 5:29:42 AM GMT-04:00
	To: 	anthonylander@yahoo.com
	Cc: 	emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Anthony

Anthony Lander <anthonylander@yahoo.com> writes:

> Please find attached a somewhat improved version of your TJ2 exporter,
> a drop-in replacement that exports to TJ3, and also a sample .org
> file.

This is all exciting stuff. It's a little hard to digest (many changes
rolled into one, white space formatting changes that make it hard to
find
the real change, common lisp idioms which I'm not familiar with). Let me
get back to you with some questions and then we can discuss how to most
easily merge the stuff.

- Why did you compute the leafiness? I seem to have experienced that tj3
  has a problem with zero effort tasks that aren't marked as milestones.
  Is that the reason?

- Why do you add a duration of 1d if the task has neither a duration, an
  end, a period nor an effort? Shouldn't that be a milestone instead?

- I see that there is a need to annotate a project with stuff such as
  scenarios, etc and I was missing a way to have file specific reports
  or other globals. Your additional tags solve that problem. However I'm
  a bit reluctant to add more magic tags that mark the trees in some
  way. I was hoping to find a more general way for this problem. So far
  I haven't found a good solution though.

- I like the idea of the TJ drawer, but in the end you just seem to use
  it for the project node and the globals node. So in essence they are
  taskjuggler source code blocks (in disguise) which are tied to a
  particular node. In fact they are not even really tied to a particular
  node, especially in the case of the globals. This goes back to the
  previous question about a good way to add file specific globals. Maybe
  some kind taskjuggler specific export option is really what we are
  looking for.

As an aside, I think it's better to post the source code to the list.
There might be other people interested in it and pitching in with
opinions and improvements.

Thanks
--
Christian Egli

------------------------8<-------------------------

	From: 	anthonylander@yahoo.com
	Subject: 	Re: [Orgmode] Re: TaskJuggler 3, revisited
	Date: 	October 19, 2010 8:55:38 AM GMT-04:00
	To: 	christian.egli@sbs.ch

Hi Christian,

On 10-Oct-19, at 5:29 AM, Christian Egli wrote:

> This is all exciting stuff. It's a little hard to digest (many changes
> rolled into one, white space formatting changes that make it hard to
> find
> the real change, common lisp idioms which I'm not familiar with).
> Let me
> get back to you with some questions and then we can discuss how to
> most
> easily merge the stuff.

Apologies for the big blob of changes - I was initially just trying to
get stuff to work, and, well, just kept going. As for the spacing/
formatting, I ran M-x indent-region RET on the whole file to get the
formatting consistent. I know it makes diffing hard, though :(

Is the unfamiliar idiom the backtick list with the ,variables in it,
by chance?

> - Why did you compute the leafiness? I seem to have experienced that
> tj3
> has a problem with zero effort tasks that aren't marked as milestones.
> Is that the reason?
> - Why do you add a duration of 1d if the task has neither a
> duration, an
> end, a period nor an effort? Shouldn't that be a milestone instead?

Ah, sorry. This I should have documented. The problem is that TJ3
fails to compile the file if there is a leaf node with no computable
end date. TJ2 happily ignored the situation, but TJ3 throws an error.
So the problem I'm trying to solve is that as you are working on your
project plan, it won't compile unless you put in a bunch of dummy
estimates for the leaf nodes.

I found it easier to let the exporter put them in, so that I don't
always think to myself, "did I put this in as a real estimate or just
to make the compiler happy?" Perhaps it would be better to change 1
day to 1 minute or 1 second to make it very obviously a dummy duration
that is put in only to satisfy the compiler. And maybe even a comment
in the exported file, too.

Also, I hadn't thought of milestones. I think the code needs a bit of
a fix because it needs to know that a milestone has zero effort, but
won't cause the compiler to fail.

> - I see that there is a need to annotate a project with stuff such as
> scenarios, etc and I was missing a way to have file specific reports
> or other globals. Your additional tags solve that problem. However I'm
> a bit reluctant to add more magic tags that mark the trees in some
> way. I was hoping to find a more general way for this problem. So far
> I haven't found a good solution though.

I agree with you about the magic tags. I hate the feeling of
reimplementing the entire TJ3 file format in org. That's asking to
always be playing catch-up, and to always be missing features. I like
very much the idea of "borrowing" features from org that make sense,
and doing something useful on export. Examples are your % doneness of
a task, and your "ordered tasks in a hierarchy" ideas. And in fact I
added using the todo states and tags as flags so you can easily build
tj reports that reference them (see the "active" gantt chart, for
example).

In the end, I felt the project needed a special marker because there
are specific TJ3 features that go with it. And also, the globals need
to go somewhere. I am also not thrilled with making all these tags,
but I didn't have a better solution either.

In any event, the TJ drawer is my attempt at a catch-all solution. It
at least allows a user to use missing features without waiting for a
development change. So for example, I personally will never use the
accounting stuff, and would not be very motivated to add it to the
exporter, but if someone needed it, they could put the required code
in the TJ drawer, and they could still use the TJ exporter for their
project instead of having to abandon org-mode entirely for one missing
feature.

> - I like the idea of the TJ drawer, but in the end you just seem to
> use
> it for the project node and the globals node. So in essence they are
> taskjuggler source code blocks (in disguise) which are tied to a
> particular node. In fact they are not even really tied to a particular
> node, especially in the case of the globals. This goes back to the
> previous question about a good way to add file specific globals. Maybe
> some kind taskjuggler specific export option is really what we are
> looking for.

Interesting thought. I very much like the idea that you can do other
things with your org-file than export it to taskjuggler. For example,
keep actual notes in the file, and export it to other formats like
html or LaTeX, for purposes other than project planning. Being able to
say "no, this is not a task" in the task tree would be very useful. I
don't know how to do it nicely either (yet).

> As an aside, I think it's better to post the source code to the list.
> There might be other people interested in it and pitching in with
> opinions and improvements.

That's a good idea. How about if we set up a git repository on github
with the files, and then post the link on the mailing list? I worry
that posting code and patches will badly confuse the patch manager
software than grabs code from the mailing list. Also, if we're going
to do that, I think we should put your email, and this reply to the
list as well. Your thoughts?

All the best,

  -Anthony

------------------------8<-------------------------

	From: 	christian.egli@sbs.ch
	Subject: 	Re: [Orgmode] Re: TaskJuggler 3, revisited
	Date: 	October 28, 2010 3:28:13 AM GMT-04:00
	To: 	anthonylander@yahoo.com
	Cc: 	emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Anthony

Anthony Lander <anthonylander@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is the unfamiliar idiom the backtick list with the ,variables in it,
> by chance?

No it was more stuff like `return' and `return-from'.

> Ah, sorry. This I should have documented. The problem is that TJ3
> fails to compile the file if there is a leaf node with no computable
> end date. TJ2 happily ignored the situation, but TJ3 throws an error.

OK, I understand. I managed to slowly integrate (some of) your changes.
It should now generate milestones for nodes that cannot be scheduled and
are leaf nodes. So basically it should export valid code for tj3 if you
set org-export-taskjuggler-target-version to 3.0. Of course the report
definitions in the defcustom org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports are
not compatible with tj3 so you will need to change these.

I have (or I guess rather had) some fondness for recursive functions, so
I re-implemented your leafiness function recursively. However I ran into
problems with max-lisp-eval-depth and it appears that recursion is not
encouraged in Emacs lisp
(http://www.gnu.org/s/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Compilation-Tips.html#Compilation-Tips
).
So I guess it's back to iterative style.

> In any event, the TJ drawer is my attempt at a catch-all solution. It
> at least allows a user to use missing features without waiting for a
> development change. So for example, I personally will never use the
> accounting stuff, and would not be very motivated to add it to the
> exporter, but if someone needed it, they could put the required code
> in the TJ drawer, and they could still use the TJ exporter for their
> project instead of having to abandon org-mode entirely for one missing
> feature.

I like the drawer stuff and will integrate it.

> Interesting thought. I very much like the idea that you can do other
> things with your org-file than export it to taskjuggler. For example,
> keep actual notes in the file, and export it to other formats like
> html or LaTeX, for purposes other than project planning.

Absolutely, I agree.

> Being able to say "no, this is not a task" in the task tree would be
> very useful. I don't know how to do it nicely either (yet).

Hm, no this is not possible right now. Why would you want to do this?
Maybe we could just mark it as a comment and make the exporter honor
comments.

> How about if we set up a git repository on github
> with the files, and then post the link on the mailing list?

I set up a repo and pushed my changes to the code there
(http://github.com/egli/org-mode).

> I think we should put your email, and this reply to the
> list as well.

Yes, I almost forgot. Would you mind doing that?

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli

------------------------8<-------------------------

	From: 	anthonylander@yahoo.com
	Subject: 	Re: [Orgmode] Re: TaskJuggler 3, revisited
	Date: 	October 31, 2010 11:45:34 AM GMT-04:00
	To: 	christian.egli@sbs.ch

On 10-Oct-28, at 3:28 AM, Christian Egli wrote:

> Anthony Lander <anthonylander@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Is the unfamiliar idiom the backtick list with the ,variables in it,
>> by chance?
>
> No it was more stuff like `return' and `return-from'.

I see. Well, once you were explicitly requiring 'cl.... :) And as you
discovered, without a tail-recursion optimizing compiler, recursive
functions are prohibitively expensive in elisp. Once you are
iterating, you need a way to exit iteration scopes before the end of
the iteration.

> So basically it should export valid code for tj3 if you
> set org-export-taskjuggler-target-version to 3.0. Of course the report
> definitions in the defcustom org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports
> are
> not compatible with tj3 so you will need to change these.

Right. Or perhaps better, have different default reports for TJ2 or
TJ3, which the exporter selects as appropriate.

>> Interesting thought. I very much like the idea that you can do other
>> things with your org-file than export it to taskjuggler. For example,
>> keep actual notes in the file, and export it to other formats like
>> html or LaTeX, for purposes other than project planning.
>
> Absolutely, I agree.
>
>> Being able to say "no, this is not a task" in the task tree would be
>> very useful. I don't know how to do it nicely either (yet).
>
> Hm, no this is not possible right now. Why would you want to do this?
> Maybe we could just mark it as a comment and make the exporter honor
> comments.

Yes, marking it as a comment is not a bad idea. The reason I want to
do that goes with the idea of using the org file for additional
purposes than just a task tree. So for example, I would like to be
able to have nodes with meeting notes, or links to related files etc
etc under a task. That way I am only maintaining one project document,
not separate ones for notes, scheduling, etc. I think that is very
much in the spirit of org-mode, which so heavily emphasizes sparse
trees, agenda views etc as ways to tease out relevant information from
an intermingled file.

>> How about if we set up a git repository on github
>> with the files, and then post the link on the mailing list?
>
> I set up a repo and pushed my changes to the code there
> (http://github.com/egli/org-mode).
>
>> I think we should put your email, and this reply to the
>> list as well.
>
> Yes, I almost forgot. Would you mind doing that?

I'll do that, yes.

Best regards,

  -Anthony

* Re: Re: TaskJuggler3, revisited
@ 2010-11-04 21:24 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-11-04 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: Christian Egli, emacs-orgmode Mode

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 21179 bytes --]

Nice! I was able to do the following:

- grab your copy of org-taskjuggler.el and install it
- get the .org file here: http://orgmode.org/manual/TaskJuggler-export.html
<http://orgmode.org/manual/TaskJuggler-export.html>- export to a .tjp
- swap out the default export with the code below and run "tj3 tj3-test.tjp"
and get a nice html report!
--- If you're looking for a default tj3 export... perhaps start with what's
below?

Great work!

John

The export code that creates quite a nice html report (from tj3
documentation)
--------------
navigator navbar {
  hidereport 0
}

macro TaskTip [
  tooltip istask() -8<-
    '''Start: ''' <-query attribute='start'->
    '''End: ''' <-query attribute='end'->
    ----
    '''Resources:'''

    <-query attribute='resources'->
    ----
    '''Precursors: '''

    <-query attribute='precursors'->
    ----
    '''Followers: '''

    <-query attribute='followers'->
    ->8-
]

textreport frame "" {
  header -8<-
    == Accounting Software Project ==
    ----
    <[navigator id="navbar"]>
    ----
  ->8-
  footer "----"
  textreport index "Overview" {
    formats html
    center '<[report id="overview"]>'
  }

  textreport "Status" {
    formats html
    center -8<-
      <[report id="status.dashboard"]>
      ----
      <[report id="status.completed"]>
      ----
      <[report id="status.ongoing"]>
      ----
      <[report id="status.future"]>
    ->8-
  }

  textreport development "Development" {
    formats html
    center '<[report id="development"]>'
  }

  textreport "Deliveries" {
    formats html
    center '<[report id="deliveries"]>'
  }

  textreport "ContactList" {
    formats html
    title "Contact List"
    center '<[report id="contactList"]>'
  }
  textreport "ResourceGraph" {
    formats html
    title "Resource Graph"
    center '<[report id="resourceGraph"]>'
  }
}

# A traditional Gantt chart with a project overview.
taskreport overview "" {
  header -8<-
    === Project Overview ===

    The project is structured into 3 phases.

    # Specification
    # <-reportlink id='frame.development'->
    # Testing

    === Original Project Plan ===
  ->8-
  columns hierarchindex,
          name, start, end, effort, duration, cost,
          revenue, chart { ${TaskTip} }
  # For this report we like to have the abbreviated weekday in front
  # of the date. %a is the tag for this.
  timeformat "%a %Y-%m-%d"
  loadunit days
  hideresource 1
  caption 'All effort values are in man days.'

  footer -8<-
    === Staffing ===

    All project phases are properly staffed. See [[ResourceGraph]] for
    detailed resource allocations.

    === Current Status ===

    The project started off with a delay of 4 days. This slightly affected
    the original schedule. See [[Deliveries]] for the impact on the
    delivery dates.
  ->8-
}

# Macro to set the background color of a cell according to the alert
# level of the task.
macro AlertColor [
  cellcolor plan.alert = 0 "#00D000" # green
  cellcolor plan.alert = 1 "#D0D000" # yellow
  cellcolor plan.alert = 2 "#D00000" # red
]

taskreport status "" {
  columns wbs, name, start, end, effort, alert { tooltip plan.journal
  != '' "<-query attribute='journal'->" }, status

  taskreport dashboard "" {
    headline "Project Dashboard (<-query attribute='now'->)"
    columns name { title "Task" ${AlertColor} },
            resources { width 200 ${AlertColor}
                        start ${projectstart} end ${projectend} },
            alerttrend { title "Trend" ${AlertColor} },
            journalmessages { width 260 ${AlertColor} }
    hidetask ~hasalert(0)
    sorttasks alert.down
    period %{${now} - 1w} +1w
  }
  taskreport completed "" {
    headline "Already completed tasks"
  }
  taskreport ongoing "" {
    headline "Ongoing tasks"
  }
  taskreport future "" {
    headline "Future tasks"
  }
}

# A list of tasks showing the resources assigned to each task.
taskreport development "" {
  headline "Development - Resource Allocation Report"
  columns hierarchindex, name, start, end, effort { title "Work" },
          duration, chart { ${TaskTip} scale day width 500 }
  timeformat "%Y-%m-%d"
  hideresource ~(isleaf() & isleaf_())
  sortresources name.up
}

# A list of all tasks with the percentage completed for each task
taskreport deliveries "" {
  headline "Project Deliverables"
  columns hierarchindex, name, start, end, note { width 150 }, complete,
          chart { ${TaskTip} }

  hideresource 1
}
# A list of all employees with their contact details.
resourcereport contactList "" {
  headline "Contact list and duty plan"
  columns name,
          email { celltext 1 "[mailto:<-email-> <-email->]" },
          chart { scale day }
  hideresource ~isleaf()
  sortresources name.up
  hidetask 1
}

# A graph showing resource allocation. It identifies whether each
# resource is under- or over-allocated for.
resourcereport resourceGraph "" {
  headline "Resource Allocation Graph"
  columns no, name, effort, rate, weekly { ${TaskTip} }
  loadunit shortauto
  # We only like to show leaf tasks for leaf resources.
  hidetask ~(isleaf() & isleaf_())
  sorttasks plan.start.up
}
-----------------

@ 2010-11-05 12:29   ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2010-11-05 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Christian Egli, emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi John,

On 10-Nov-4, at 5:24 PM, John Hendy wrote:

> Nice! I was able to do the following:
>
> - grab your copy of org-taskjuggler.el and install it
> - get the .org file here: http://orgmode.org/manual/TaskJuggler-export.html
> - export to a .tjp

If you grabbed the code I wrote, you can export the file, and compile
it directly with tj3 using C-c e J, saving a step.

> - swap out the default export with the code below and run "tj3 tj3-
> test.tjp" and get a nice html report!
> --- If you're looking for a default tj3 export... perhaps start with
> what's below?

Thanks for the pointer to the reports - I'll try to add them in to the
example file.

Also, thank you for testing the code, and please post if you find
bugs, or other problems,

@ 2010-11-05 15:01     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-11-05 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: Christian Egli, emacs-orgmode Mode

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Anthony Lander <anthonylander@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On 10-Nov-4, at 5:24 PM, John Hendy wrote:
>
> Nice! I was able to do the following:
>
> - grab your copy of org-taskjuggler.el and install it
> - get the .org file here:
> http://orgmode.org/manual/TaskJuggler-export.html
>  <http://orgmode.org/manual/TaskJuggler-export.html>- export to a .tjp
>

> If you grabbed the code I wrote, you can export the file, and compile it
> directly with tj3 using C-c e J, saving a step.

That *would *be awesome.

> - swap out the default export with the code below and run "tj3
> tj3-test.tjp" and get a nice html report!
> --- If you're looking for a default tj3 export... perhaps start with what's
> below?

But note that I have to do some manual steps on the .tjp before compiling
with tj3. My main issue is defining the report. How do you define the report
manually in the .org file or elsewhere so that tj3 doesn't try it on the
default tj2 report instead. When I do C-c e J currently, I get no output
files; essentially it's just a silent fail.

> Thanks for the pointer to the reports - I'll try to add them in to the
> example file.

That would be great -- On worg's org-tj tutorial, I see not reference of how
to specify one's report directly.

> Also, thank you for testing the code, and please post if you find bugs, or
> other problems,

Will do! I plan to be using this shortly on my own project for work and will
report on any issues experienced. I also hope to be tailoring the reports a
bit. I can't believe how long the tj3 report format is to create the html
output. I'm going to have to dig around and find out how to just create a
gantt chart -- I also wish the css was embedded or drawn in some other way
-- when sharing this, I will have to take a screenshot or something and send
it off.

While not fully featured, Eric's TikZ posting a bit back on the mailing list
has the advantage of being completely portable. I'll figure something out!

John

> Regards,
>
>   -Anthony

* Re: TaskJuggler3, revisited
@ 2010-11-08 14:02   ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-11-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Nice! I was able to do the following:

Heh, I assume you used Anthony's fork of the exporter. There's lots of
good stuff in there that I'd like to integrate. I have asked Anthony if
he has a copyright assignment with the FSF.

> - swap out the default export with the code below and run "tj3 tj3-test.tjp" and get a nice html report!
> --- If you're looking for a default tj3 export... perhaps start with what's below?

My exporter currently has one customize variable to define global
reports, so if you want to use tj3 you'll have to change this. We could
add another customize variable where you can define global reports for
tj3 and put your defaults in there.

> The export code that creates quite a nice html report (from tj3
> documentation)

This seems like a good default. Did you take this from the tj3
documentation? I believe it is released under the GFDL. Can you just
include GFDL "code" in the taskjuggler exporter which is GPL3+?

Thanks
--
Christian Egli

* Re: TaskJuggler3, revisited
@ 2010-11-08 14:23       ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-11-08 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Anthony Lander <anthonylander@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>     If you grabbed the code I wrote, you can export the file, and
>     compile it directly with tj3 using C-c e J, saving a step.
>
> That would be awesome.

On C-c e j the current exporter just exports to tj2. On C-c e J it opens
the TaskJuggler GUI (which compiles and visualizes). Now for tj3 I would
assume that a corresponding action would be to let tj3 compile the
exported tjp file and open the resulting reports(s), be it in a browser
or a text editor. In theory we would probably need another key binding
to just compile the tjp file. This is similar to the LaTeX exporter
where you can (1) just export, (2) process the exported LaTeX and (3)
open the resulting PDF.

Opening report files (text or html) should be fairly simple using
org-open-file. The hard part is knowing what files to open without
having to parse the report definition to figure out the file names.
Maybe the output of tj3 gives a hint what report files were produced.

>         - swap out the default export with the code below and run "tj3
>         tj3-test.tjp" and get a nice html report!
>         --- If you're looking for a default tj3 export... perhaps
>         start with what's below?
>
> But note that I have to do some manual steps on the .tjp before
> compiling with tj3. My main issue is defining the report. How do you
> define the report manually in the .org file or elsewhere so that tj3
> doesn't try it on the default tj2 report instead. When I do C-c e J
> currently, I get no output files; essentially it's just a silent fail.

Currently the way to define reports is through the customize variable.
But this is then used for all taskjuggler exports. To support file
specific reports I was thinking that we should use the #+BEGIN_foo
mechanism, i.e. introduce a TaskJuggler blocks with #+BEGIN_TaskJuggler
and #+END_TaskJuggler. These could then be used for example to define
reports. This would require some changes to org-exp.el.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Christian
--
Christian Egli