* Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-04-30 13:08 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-04-30 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm logging my bicycling to work using org habit tracking.  I'm using a
comment to track the time and distance (and average speed).  It would
have been nice if the habit tracking could have used a table for this.

I have googled for something similar to this but not found it.  Has
anyone else done something similar?  Does any of the org gurus have any
idea of a different way I could accomplish this?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-01  0:11 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-01  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I'm logging my bicycling to work using org habit tracking.  I'm using a
> comment to track the time and distance (and average speed).  It would
> have been nice if the habit tracking could have used a table for this.

This is a little bit "abstract" to me.

Can you give an example of what you are using and what you would like to
use instead?

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-01  6:46   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-05-01  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>> I'm logging my bicycling to work using org habit tracking.  I'm using a
>> comment to track the time and distance (and average speed).  It would
>> have been nice if the habit tracking could have used a table for this.

> Can you give an example of what you are using

*** TODO Til jobb 2012
    :LOGBOOK:
    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2012-04-30 Mon 09:41] \\
      32:50, Skillebekk, Sinsen, Torshovdalen, 15.37km (28.09km/t)
    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2012-04-27 Fri 16:09] \\
      37:29, Skillebekk, Sinsen, Torshovdalen, 15.35km (24.97km/t)
    :END:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :LAST_REPEAT: [2012-04-30 Mon 09:40]
    :LOGGING:  lognoterepeat
    :STYLE:    habit
    :END:
    SCHEDULED <2011-07-24 Sun +1d>

> and what you would like to use instead?

I'm not quite sure, but I would like to have the numbers in table
columns, and be able to pull out graphs and calculations from them
(eg. overall average speed, best times, worst times).

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-01 11:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-01 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steinar,

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Can you give an example of what you are using
>
> *** TODO Til jobb 2012
>     :LOGBOOK:
>     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2012-04-30 Mon 09:41] \\
>       32:50, Skillebekk, Sinsen, Torshovdalen, 15.37km (28.09km/t)
>     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2012-04-27 Fri 16:09] \\
>       37:29, Skillebekk, Sinsen, Torshovdalen, 15.35km (24.97km/t)
>     :END:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :LAST_REPEAT: [2012-04-30 Mon 09:40]
>     :LOGGING:  lognoterepeat
>     :STYLE:    habit
>     :END:
>     SCHEDULED <2011-07-24 Sun +1d>
>

>> and what you would like to use instead?
>
> I'm not quite sure, but I would like to have the numbers in table
> columns, and be able to pull out graphs and calculations from them
> (eg. overall average speed, best times, worst times).

Yes, it would be nice to parse the LOGBOOK information consistently,
then to render it in a table... patch welcome!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-02 11:49 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-05-02 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I'm logging my bicycling to work using org habit tracking.  I'm using a
> comment to track the time and distance (and average speed).  It would
> have been nice if the habit tracking could have used a table for this.
>
> I have googled for something similar to this but not found it.  Has
> anyone else done something similar?  Does any of the org gurus have any
> idea of a different way I could accomplish this?

For these types of things I just stick a table in the habit org-mode
entry and edit it directly, then mark it done without capturing a note.

-Bernt

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-02 16:26   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-05-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> For these types of things I just stick a table in the habit org-mode
> entry and edit it directly, then mark it done without capturing a note.

Umm... could you provide an example...?

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-02 21:52     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-05-02 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> For these types of things I just stick a table in the habit org-mode
>> entry and edit it directly, then mark it done without capturing a note.
>
> Umm... could you provide an example...?

The habit entry is just like any other task... so it can contain
whatever you need.  I just stick a table in the entry and edit it
directly:

** TODO Some habit I want to track
SCHEDULED: <2012-04-30 Mon .+1d>
:LOGBOOK:...
:PROPERTIES:
:STYLE: habit
:LAST_REPEAT: [2012-04-29 Sun 18:20]
:END:
[2012-03-19 Mon 07:30]

and some table data I want to keep
|   | Date             | Datum | Change |
|---+------------------+-------+--------|
| # | [2012-04-14 Sat] |    98 |    0.0 |
| # | [2012-04-16 Mon] |   103 |    5.0 |
| # | [2012-04-17 Tue] |   105 |    2.0 |
| # | [2012-04-19 Thu] |   101 |   -4.0 |
| # | [2012-04-20 Fri] |    89 |  -12.0 |
| # | [2012-04-29 Sun] |    94 |    5.0 |
|---+------------------+-------+--------|
|   |                  |       |   -4.0 |
| ^ |                  |       |  total |
#+TBLFM: $4=$3-@-1$3;%.1f::@2$4=0;%.1f::$total=vsum(@-I..@-II);%.1f

When this particular task in on my agenda I hit RET on it to visit it,
update the table, and then mark it DONE.

By default marking it done creates a log entry with just the timestamp
(no log note).

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-03  8:24       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-05-03  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> By default marking it done creates a log entry with just the timestamp
> (no log note).

If I'm going to edit the table directly anyway, I don't really need the
habit tracking functionality.  Or is there something I will be missing
out on, that I don't see...?

Would it be possible to automate the setting of a time stamp in the
first column when creating a new row?

* Re: Habit tracking and table data
@ 2012-05-05  1:35         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-05-05  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> By default marking it done creates a log entry with just the timestamp
>> (no log note).
>
> If I'm going to edit the table directly anyway, I don't really need the
> habit tracking functionality.  Or is there something I will be missing
> out on, that I don't see...?

As a habit it will have the habit graph on today's agenda.

> Would it be possible to automate the setting of a time stamp in the
> first column when creating a new row?

You can hit S-RET on the date (or blank cell under the date) and it
creates a new line and increments by one day.  You can also edit the
timestamp easily by positioning the cursor on part of the timestamp and
using S-arrows to modify the month/day.

-Bernt