* [GSOC] Bugpile/iOrg weekly update
@ 2012-06-04  7:42 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-06-04  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello List,

following a suggestion from Bastien, I will give a weekly update from
now on about the state of things in my Google Summer of Code 2012
project "Bugpile/iOrg".

Just to remind you whats it all about:

,-----------------------------------------------------------------
| Bugpile is a bugtracker for GNU Emacs Org-mode written in Emacs
| Lisp. It will be developed during the Google Summer of Code 2012
| (GSoC) as an example application for iOrg, a new framework for
| building dynamic web applications.
`-----------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have to deal with two things at the same time (the web framework
iOrg and the example application bugpile), I chose the approach to
develop bugpile and write the iOrg stuff whenever I feel there should be
some framework functionality. I write down everything I do as an iOrg
tutorial on Worg
 (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/bugpile/i.html)

I use a software engineering approach for the development, although this
is rather untypical for the emacs world, but it has two big advantages:
1. it guides people step by step through the development process,

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: [GSOC] Bugpile/iOrg weekly update (cont.)
@ 2012-06-04  8:03 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-06-04  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

[ups - wrong keystroke and the unfinished mail was sent]

> Hello List,
>
> following a suggestion from Bastien, I will give a weekly update from
> now on about the state of things in my Google Summer of Code 2012
> project "Bugpile/iOrg".
>
> Just to remind you whats it all about:
>
> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------
> | Bugpile is a bugtracker for GNU Emacs Org-mode written in Emacs
> | Lisp. It will be developed during the Google Summer of Code 2012
> | (GSoC) as an example application for iOrg, a new framework for
> | building dynamic web applications.
> `-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Since I have to deal with two things at the same time (the web framework
> iOrg and the example application bugpile), I chose the approach to
> develop bugpile and write the iOrg stuff whenever I feel there should be
> some framework functionality. I write down everything I do as an iOrg
> tutorial on Worg
>  (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/bugpile/i.html)
>
> I use a software engineering approach for the development, although this
> is rather untypical for the emacs world, but it has two big advantages:
> 1. it guides people step by step through the development process,

[continuation]

1. it guides people step by step through the development process, so
   even if they don't have a clear idea about how to structure and
   develop a web-application, they will never stare on a blank screen
   without knowing what to do next
2. it gives a clean structure to a project and organizes the sometimes
   many files involved, avoiding to get lost in an unmanageable mess.

I'm finished with the requirements analysis and the software
specification now. Some core functionality of the iOrg framework has
already be written (initialize, rename, update iOrg project), see the
git repo:

,------------------------------------------
| git clone bugpile@orgmode.org:bugpile.git
`------------------------------------------

Since all the planning has been done using textbased PlantUML as drawing
tool, I want to automize the transformation from the software design to
implementation skeletons. Therefore I have to write functions that parse
the PlantUML source code and write the Elisp and Org files they
'describe' as a last step of the planification phase.

But the most important task for the upcoming week will be to write a
small (minimal) proof of concept that shows how to use Elnode, the Emacs
web-server by Nic Ferrier, to manipulate Org files via a web interface
(with html forms and buttons).

--
cheers,
Thorsten