* agenda column view and/or location property visible in normal view
@ 2013-05-09 10:04 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-05-09 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

due to my increasing use of MobileOrg and, as a result, the
synchronisation it provides with Google's calendar, I am finding that
using the :LOCATION: property in an appointment in org is quite
useful.  However, most of the time I use org's agenda view to see my
appointments.  I have a few questions, if I may:

1. I can use column view in the agenda to see specific
     properties.  However, column view doesn't work well with the time
     grid.  Is it possible to include the time information, as shown in
     the normal agenda view, in a column view?  I currentlly have

     : (setq org-agenda-overriding-columns-format "%5TODO %40ITEM %LOCATION %TAGS")

     which works quite well except for the absence of time information.

2. Can the column view be customised to get rid of the | characters?
     They make sense sometimes but I find them ugly in my agenda view.

3. alternatively, can one customise the line for the agenda view to
     include specific properties (i.e. LOCATION in my case)?  Probably
     not... if not, it would be nice to have a fully customisable
     org-agenda-line-format variable similar to what gnus provides for
     summary lines, group lines, etc.  Consider this a feature request
     for org 9.0.  ;-)

As usual, none of the above is critical in any sense!  Just me finding
yet more reasons to avoid getting real work done... ;-)

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.2-68-g40635b

* Re: agenda column view and/or location property visible in normal view
@ 2013-05-14  8:31 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-05-14  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> due to my increasing use of MobileOrg and, as a result, the
> synchronisation it provides with Google's calendar, I am finding that
> using the :LOCATION: property in an appointment in org is quite
> useful.  However, most of the time I use org's agenda view to see my
> appointments.  I have a few questions, if I may:
>
> 1. I can use column view in the agenda to see specific
>      properties.  However, column view doesn't work well with the time
>      grid.  Is it possible to include the time information, as shown in
>      the normal agenda view, in a column view?  I currentlly have
>
>      : (setq org-agenda-overriding-columns-format "%5TODO %40ITEM %LOCATION %TAGS")
>
>      which works quite well except for the absence of time
>      information.

Maybe you can use %TIMESTAMP for the time?

> 2. Can the column view be customised to get rid of the | characters?
>      They make sense sometimes but I find them ugly in my agenda view.
>
> 3. alternatively, can one customise the line for the agenda view to
>      include specific properties (i.e. LOCATION in my case)?  Probably
>      not... if not, it would be nice to have a fully customisable
>      org-agenda-line-format variable similar to what gnus provides for
>      summary lines, group lines, etc.  Consider this a feature request
>      for org 9.0.  ;-)

See `org-agenda-prefix-format' -- maybe you can play with the %(exp)
construct and try to retrieve infos with `org-entry-get' (which see.)

Not tested...

> As usual, none of the above is critical in any sense!  Just me finding
> yet more reasons to avoid getting real work done... ;-)

Tested ;)

--
 Bastien

* Re: agenda column view and/or location property visible in normal view
@ 2013-05-17  7:55   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-05-17  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>>      which works quite well except for the absence of time
>>      information.
>
> Maybe you can use %TIMESTAMP for the time?

This works.  Thanks.  It does have more information than I need
(i.e. the date) but that's okay.

Where can I find out what variables are known to column view in the
agenda?  I went through the code but couldn't figure it out.  The info
entry on Special Properties seemed to be the obvious place to look but
it has nothing relevant.

> See `org-agenda-prefix-format' -- maybe you can play with the %(exp)
> construct and try to retrieve infos with `org-entry-get' (which see.)

I'll look into this.  I missed the %(exp) possibility.  Thanks again.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.2-103-gb3a88b