* auto-fill-mode for text changes (plain-lists) indentation
@ 2014-01-15 13:04 Rémy Abergel
From: Rémy Abergel @ 2014-01-15 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Org users,

I am trying to set auto-fill-mode for text, adding in my .emacs:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook '(lambda () (auto-fill-mode t)))

it works quite well but it seems to change the plain-lists indentation.

* without auto-fill-mode
+ item 1 :: description comes here
   indentation makes text start here
+ item 2 :: another description
+ item 3 :: here is a quite long description, that would be nice to have
an automatic carriage return here
   indentation makes text start here

* with auto-fill-mode
+ item 1 :: description comes here
             Now text is indented from here :-(
+ item 2 :: another description
+ item 3 :: here is a quite long description, it is nice to have an
             automatic carriage retrun here!
             but now text is indented from here :-(

Is there anyway to use auto-fill-mode without changing indentation?
Thanks,
Rémy A.

* Re: auto-fill-mode for text changes (plain-lists) indentation
@ 2014-01-15 20:29 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2014-01-15 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rémy,

Rémy Abergel <remy.abergel@parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> Hi Org users,
>
> I am trying to set auto-fill-mode for text, adding in my .emacs:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook '(lambda () (auto-fill-mode t)))
>
> it works quite well but it seems to change the plain-lists
> indentation.
>
> * without auto-fill-mode
> + item 1 :: description comes here
>   indentation makes text start here
> + item 2 :: another description
> + item 3 :: here is a quite long description, that would be nice to
> have an automatic carriage return here
>   indentation makes text start here
>
> * with auto-fill-mode
> + item 1 :: description comes here
>             Now text is indented from here :-(
> + item 2 :: another description
> + item 3 :: here is a quite long description, it is nice to have an
>             automatic carriage retrun here!
>             but now text is indented from here :-(

To me this feels correct.

> Is there anyway to use auto-fill-mode without changing indentation?

I do not have an answer, sorry.

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: auto-fill-mode for text changes (plain-lists) indentation
@ 2014-01-17  9:07 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-17  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémy Abergel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rémy,

Rémy Abergel <remy.abergel@parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> it works quite well but it seems to change the plain-lists indentation.
>
> * without auto-fill-mode
> + item 1 :: description comes here
>   indentation makes text start here
> + item 2 :: another description
> + item 3 :: here is a quite long description, that would be nice to
> have an automatic carriage return here
>   indentation makes text start here
>
> * with auto-fill-mode
> + item 1 :: description comes here
>             Now text is indented from here :-(
> + item 2 :: another description
> + item 3 :: here is a quite long description, it is nice to have an
>             automatic carriage retrun here!
>             but now text is indented from here :-(
>
> Is there anyway to use auto-fill-mode without changing indentation?

No, but you may want to use (setq org-description-max-indent 5)
which indents descriptive lists in a nicer way IMHO.

--
 Bastien

* Re: auto-fill-mode for text changes (plain-lists) indentation
@ 2014-01-17 14:54   ` Rémy Abergel
From: Rémy Abergel @ 2014-01-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Thank you for this solution, it will do for me :-)

Regards,
Rémy.

Le 17/01/2014 10:07, Bastien a écrit :
> Hi Rémy,
>
> Rémy Abergel <remy.abergel@parisdescartes.fr> writes:
>
>> it works quite well but it seems to change the plain-lists indentation.
>>
>> * without auto-fill-mode
>> + item 1 :: description comes here
>>    indentation makes text start here
>> + item 2 :: another description
>> + item 3 :: here is a quite long description, that would be nice to
>> have an automatic carriage return here
>>    indentation makes text start here
>>
>> * with auto-fill-mode
>> + item 1 :: description comes here
>>              Now text is indented from here :-(
>> + item 2 :: another description
>> + item 3 :: here is a quite long description, it is nice to have an
>>              automatic carriage retrun here!
>>              but now text is indented from here :-(
>>
>> Is there anyway to use auto-fill-mode without changing indentation?
> No, but you may want to use (setq org-description-max-indent 5)
> which indents descriptive lists in a nicer way IMHO.

* plain lists folded by default
@ 2014-02-04 18:54   ` Rémy Abergel
From: Rémy Abergel @ 2014-02-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Org users,

do you know how to make plain lists folded by default?
Let us consider the following example :

* Section 1

   A paragraph here.

   + item 1 :: description
     some long text here
     + item 1.1 :: description comes here
       let us say that a long text comes here
     + item 1.2 :: description
       again let us say that a long text comes here.
   + item 2 :: some text

   Another paragraph here.

* Section 2

when I unfold Section 1, I get what you can see above (plain lists are
unfolded), but I would like to get (by default) something like

* My section

   A paragraph here.

   + item 1 :: description...
   + item 2 :: some text

   Another paragraph here.

* Another section

Currently I need to manually fold the item one by one.
Eventually being able to do cycling (by pressing [TAB] several time on
section 1 in order to fold/unfold the items) would also be nice.

Thanks,
Rémy.

* Re: plain lists folded by default
@ 2014-02-04 19:18     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-02-04 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rémy Abergel <remy.abergel@parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> Hi Org users,
>
> do you know how to make plain lists folded by default?
> Currently I need to manually fold the item one by one.

Try this (but do read the doc for org-cycle-include-plain-lists
for some caveats):

#+STARTUP: overview

* Section 1

A paragraph here.

+ item 1 :: description
  some long text here
+ item 1.1 :: description comes here
  let us say that a long text comes here
+ item 1.2 :: description
  again let us say that a long text comes here.
+ item 2 :: some text

Another paragraph here.

* Section 2

when I unfold Section 1, I get what you can see above (plain lists are
unfolded), but I would like to get (by default) something like

* My section

A paragraph here.

 + item 1 :: description...
 + item 2 :: some text

 Another paragraph here.

* Another section

Currently I need to manually fold the item one by one.

# Local Variables:
# org-cycle-include-plain-lists: integrate
# End:

> Eventually being able to do cycling (by pressing [TAB] several time on
> section 1 in order to fold/unfold the items) would also be nice.

I think you get that for free.

--
Nick

* Re: plain lists folded by default
@ 2014-02-04 20:41     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-02-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So I was looking for this article using gmane's web interface and I
couldn't see it. Turns out that you followed up on a different article
(subject line was "auto-fill-mode for text changes (plain-lists)
indentation"), so this thread got subsumed under that name. Please don't
do that: if it is a different question, start a different thread. And
conversely, although this is not the case here, if it is the same
subject, stay on the same thread: don't start another.

Violating either of these principles makes it harder to search the ML
for answers.

[And I should make it clear that these comments are not directed
exclusively at Rémy: in particular, I have been guilty of the second
transgression numerous times, so I am included in the target. AFAIK, I
have not transgressed against the first principle - although it is
arguable that this very note is indeed such a transgression :-)]

--
Nick

* Re: plain lists folded by default
@ 2014-02-04 21:36       ` Rémy Abergel
From: Rémy Abergel @ 2014-02-04 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

I am not sure to understand why today's post has been subsumed to my
previous one (entitled indeed "auto-fill-mode for text changes
(plain-lists) indentation")
on the archive page
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-02/threads.html
today post appears in a single thread "[O] plain lists folded by default".

Maybe it is due to the fact I "replied to all" from one of my old
messages, deleting the content and changing the email subject :'-(
You mean I should have started from a blank email right?

Well sorry for that, and thank you again for your answers.

Regards,
Rémy.

@ 2014-02-04 22:12         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-02-04 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rémy Abergel <remy.abergel@parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> Maybe it is due to the fact I "replied to all" from one of my old
> messages, deleting the content and changing the email subject :'-(

That would do it :-)

> You mean I should have started from a blank email right?

Yes.

> Well sorry for that, and thank you again for your answers.

No problem (as long as you don't it again :-) )

Nick