* Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-28 11:43 Karl Voit
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-06-28 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I was wondering if there are people out there who also need Org-mode
features that are *not part of any other software solution*. For the
usual question "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?" I'd like to have
a list of cool Org-mode features that demonstrate the benefit.

So, how about a short brainstorming here and a new Worg-page
collecting those things?

I start with:

* seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
more at one single place

* being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
another script in language B (babel)

* quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
"doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
(org-depend)

... I am sure, you have a pretty good idea what to add to this list
as well. So: add it :-)

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-28 12:51 ` M
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: M @ 2014-06-28 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Karl Voit

> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:43:31 +0200
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if there are people out there who also need Org-mode
> features that are *not part of any other software solution*. For the
> usual question "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?" I'd like to have
> a list of cool Org-mode features that demonstrate the benefit.
>
> So, how about a short brainstorming here and a new Worg-page
> collecting those things?
>
> I start with:
>
> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
> more at one single place
>
> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
> another script in language B (babel)
>
> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
> (org-depend)

Hi Karl,

that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
difficult to find. For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.

You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.

Some more key selling points form someone who still tries to learn emacs
just for using org-mode:

* platform independent - available for Windows, UNIX and MacOS

* free

* tagging

* powerful filtering and creation of "views" (agendas) from different
perspectives

* 110% customizable with scripting and keybindings

* built on a very robust and well developed application (Emascs)

* many other modules and extensions thanks to Emacs

* all the above with simple plain text format - easy to save, DIFF and
version control

* defining custom templates for new notes/tasks/projects...

* tasks and projects can be broken down hierarchically into subtasks with no
limit in depth

* powerful and customizable export

* time clocking

Martin

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-28 13:13   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-06-28 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Martin!

* M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:

>> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
>>
>> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
>> more at one single place
>>
>> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
>> another script in language B (babel)
>>
>> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
>> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
>> (org-depend)
>>

> that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
> difficult to find.

I am more positive here :-)

> For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
> available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.

The seamless integration might be also true for MS OneNote, you're
probably right. However, there might be major things to add to the
list which OneNote is not able to handle in that combination.

Dependencies are not available except for full-blown
project-management software which do have their overhead. At least I
could not find anything satisfying yet. Please do tell me, which
task/todo-management system is able to do this in a reasonable way.

> You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
> true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.

I think I know most tools out there, tried many, many, many of them
by myself over the previous decades. However, I can not know
everything - I know. As a result, I am trying this
collective/combined approach with this thread and (probably later
on) a Worg page.

I am confident that Org-mode has a number of USPs.

> Some more key selling points form someone who still tries to learn emacs
> just for using org-mode:

A absolutely agree on your list. On the one side, I tend to think
that we've got those lists already in various
feature-highlight-lists. On the other side, I am not aware of a list
of Org-mode USPs that *no* other tool provides.

--

@ 2014-06-28 13:40     ` M
From: M @ 2014-06-28 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

good points. I did not want to say, that org-mode has no USPS.
I just wanted to emphasize, that in the original definition of a "real" USP
(at least from my understanding) there should be not other product which has
this feature.

As there is a very large and constantly growing number of tools on the
market, it might be very difficult to know them all - so your
community-based approch is absolutely preferable.

concerning dependencies: I'm not sure, but I think that OmniFocucs also has
them, but I'm not sure.

What about tracking those USP/KSP in a shared document in WORG?

I tried to set up one, but as a newbie, I'm not sure how to link it to the
others.

http://orgmode.org/w/worg.git?p=worg.git;a=blob;f=why-use-orgmode.org;h=5863
d41a6a6f8c3c2b6658748e1d74cc2506207f;hb=7c92042868e3d5353498abbf22fb48fed293
35cb

Kind regards

Martin

@ 2014-06-28 13:41 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-06-28 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 28 juin 2014 à 13:43, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> a écrit :
>
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if there are people out there who also need Org-mode
> features that are *not part of any other software solution*. For the
> usual question "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?" I'd like to have
> a list of cool Org-mode features that demonstrate the benefit.
>
> So, how about a short brainstorming here and a new Worg-page
> collecting those things?
>
> I start with:
>
> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
> more at one single place
>
> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
> another script in language B (babel)
>
> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
> (org-depend)
>

> ... I am sure, you have a pretty good idea what to add to this list
> as well. So: add it :-)

The UPS is probably that it can do ALL these things - in which task manager can you include and chain different code snippets together? I think org is the only one.

But this leads to the other point: org is a Swiss Army knife with integrated power drill and tooling machines to build new tools you don't know you need but without which you won't be able to love without afterwards. And did I mention the hidden gems? I just discovered the whole reference citation.
Again: which task manager can be used to write a publishable scientific paper?

So the uniqueness of org is that it can do many things and you only have to learn one toolset for this.

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2014-06-28 13:59   ` M
From: M @ 2014-06-28 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug, Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Von: Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:41:14 +0200
> An: Karl Voit <news1142@Karl-Voit.at>
> Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>

> Envoyé de mon iPhone
 good idea what to add to this list
>> as well. So: add it :-)
>
> The UPS is probably that it can do ALL these things - in which task manager
> can you include and chain different code snippets together? I think org is the
> only one.
>
> But this leads to the other point: org is a Swiss Army knife with integrated
> power drill and tooling machines to build new tools you don't know you need
> but without which you won't be able to love without afterwards. And did I
> mention the hidden gems? I just discovered the whole reference citation.
> Again: which task manager can be used to write a publishable scientific paper?
>
> So the uniqueness of org is that it can do many things and you only have to
> learn one toolset for this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Yes, in fact that's what I wanted to say:
often (in my experience) a USP is not a single feature, but the combination
of several ones which makes the product unique.

Kind regards

Martin

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-28 14:14     ` M
From: M @ 2014-06-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:13:05 +0200
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
> Hi Martin!
>
> * M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>

>>> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
>>> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
>>> (org-depend)
>>>

> Dependencies are not available except for full-blown
> project-management software which do have their overhead. At least I
> could not find anything satisfying yet. Please do tell me, which
> task/todo-management system is able to do this in a reasonable way.

My-life-organized seems to have dependencies:

http://productivity.stackexchange.com/questions/7038/task-management-applica
tion-with-task-dependencies

OmniFocus seems to have them too:
" Because OmniFocus lets you make certain tasks dependent on others ‹ Task A
has to be completed before Task B ‹ you only see those items you can
actually do. It filters out everything else so you don¹t get distracted when
picking what¹s next."
source: http://tyler.io/2010/10/how-i-use-omnifocus-to-organize-my-life/

Kind regards

Martin

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-28 14:23       ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-06-28 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:

> My-life-organized seems to have dependencies:
>
> http://productivity.stackexchange.com/questions/7038/task-management-applica
> tion-with-task-dependencies
>
> OmniFocus seems to have them too:
> " Because OmniFocus lets you make certain tasks dependent on others ‹ Task A
> has to be completed before Task B ‹ you only see those items you can
> actually do. It filters out everything else so you don¹t get distracted when
> picking what¹s next."
> source: http://tyler.io/2010/10/how-i-use-omnifocus-to-organize-my-life/

Oh, thanks for sharing this!

I have a certain blind spot on the Mac platform because I was not
using OS X before 2005 or so and with a very limited set of tools
afterward.

--

@ 2014-06-28 14:28     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-06-28 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:

> Yes, in fact that's what I wanted to say:
> often (in my experience) a USP is not a single feature, but the combination
> of several ones which makes the product unique.

This was also my concern: maybe it's the combination and not a list
of USPs I was hoping for.

Hm.

However, this does not offer a quick win for those "why should I
learn Emacs/Org-mode" as I was wishing for. So I still have to
explain all those different features and hope that people understand
the great power of combining them.

To me, in the beginning I was not able to get the power of Org-mode
as well. I tended to think in boxes like its todo/task-feature or
its calendar or the note taking feature or or or. And not: and,
and, and, and everything combined.

--

@ 2014-06-28 14:52       ` M
From: M @ 2014-06-28 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:28:47 +0200
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
> * M <Elwood151@web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, in fact that's what I wanted to say:
>> often (in my experience) a USP is not a single feature, but the combination
>> of several ones which makes the product unique.
>
> This was also my concern: maybe it's the combination and not a list
> of USPs I was hoping for.
>
> Hm.
>
> However, this does not offer a quick win for those "why should I
> learn Emacs/Org-mode" as I was wishing for. So I still have to
> explain all those different features and hope that people understand
> the great power of combining them.
>
> To me, in the beginning I was not able to get the power of Org-mode
> as well. I tended to think in boxes like its todo/task-feature or
> its calendar or the note taking feature or or or. And not: and,
> and, and, and everything combined.

You made a good point:
* integration of tasks with calendar and "content" (notes, text,
attachments, etc.) is also a strong point of org-mode

* Using hyperlinks is another important feature (but certainly not unique)

What about trying to collect and comment the good features in WORG?

I think the best thing to compare different tools is making a list with
features and mark which tools support which ones.
I assume there is already such a list

for dependencies:
I think TaskCoach can handle them as well and it's also free and platform
independent:
http://taskcoach.org/

Kind regards

Martin

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-28 18:02 ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2014-06-28 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?"

Good practices (or cases) of use might be much more useful. IMHO

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-29  5:04   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-06-29  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

M <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

>> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
>> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:43:31 +0200
>> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
>> Betreff: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was wondering if there are people out there who also need Org-mode
>> features that are *not part of any other software solution*. For the
>> usual question "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?" I'd like to have
>> a list of cool Org-mode features that demonstrate the benefit.
>>
>> So, how about a short brainstorming here and a new Worg-page
>> collecting those things?
>>
>> I start with:
>>
>> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
>> more at one single place
>>
>> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
>> another script in language B (babel)
>>
>> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
>> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
>> (org-depend)
>>

> Hi Karl,
>
> that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
> difficult to find. For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
> available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.

Actually, it is a good USP for a task management system.  Most other
task management systems that I've seen (like Toodledo) only support one
level of parent-child relationships and do not support task
dependencies or they support it badly.

> You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
> true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.

That's what the newsgroup is for.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-06-29  5:55     ` M
From: M @ 2014-06-29  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, emacs-orgmode

> Von: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:04:08 -0700
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
> M <Elwood151@web.de> writes:
>>
>> that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
>> difficult to find. For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
>> available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.
>
> Actually, it is a good USP for a task management system.  Most other
> task management systems that I've seen (like Toodledo) only support one
> level of parent-child relationships and do not support task
> dependencies or they support it badly.

I absolutely agree that hierarchical "sub"-tasks (I assume, that's what you
mean with parent-child-relationsships?) and dependencies are an important
feature for a task management system (at least for some users).
I did not put that into question.
So, yes, it is a good USP for a taks management system.
But a "USP" (from my understanding) is something that no other product
offers - and that's just not true for dependencies or hierarchical tasks or
the combination of both.

Taken from Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_selling_proposition)
"2. The proposition must be one the competition cannot or does not offer. It
must be unique‹either in the brand or in a claim the rest of that particular
advertising area does not make."

>> You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
>> true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.
>
> That's what the newsgroup is for.

I absolutely agree

Martin

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-07-01 19:07         ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-07-01 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think that this is already done: http://orgmode.org/features.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_personal_information_managers

--

@ 2014-07-23  2:37           ` M
From: M @ 2014-07-23  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org; +Cc: Karl Voit

> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
> Datum: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 21:07:32 +0200
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
>> I think the best thing to compare different tools is making a list with
>> features and mark which tools support which ones.
>> I assume there is already such a list
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_personal_information_managers

OK, the list is there, but it is not comparing features directly.

A very good example is the features comparison of docear with some of its
alternatives:
http://www.docear.org/2014/01/15/comprehensive-comparison-of-reference-manag
ers-mendeley-vs-zotero-vs-docear/

Martin

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-07-23  7:14             ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-23  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

M <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

>> Von: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
>> Datum: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 21:07:32 +0200
>> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
>> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>>
>>> I think the best thing to compare different tools is making a list with
>>> features and mark which tools support which ones.
>>> I assume there is already such a list
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_personal_information_managers
>
> OK, the list is there, but it is not comparing features directly.
>
> A very good example is the features comparison of docear with some of its
> alternatives:
> http://www.docear.org/2014/01/15/comprehensive-comparison-of-reference-manag
> ers-mendeley-vs-zotero-vs-docear/

#+begin_quote
A while ago, Mendeley was acquired by Elsevier for an estimated
69-100 Million Dollars.
#+end_quote

wow

If Org-mode is better than Mendeley (which I don't know at all), then
its worth a fortune ;)

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-07-23 22:40               ` M
From: M @ 2014-07-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org; +Cc: Thorsten Jolitz

> Von: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
> Datum: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:14:10 +0200
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_personal_information_managers
>>
>> OK, the list is there, but it is not comparing features directly.
>>
>> A very good example is the features comparison of docear with some of its
>> alternatives:
>> http://www.docear.org/2014/01/15/comprehensive-comparison-of-reference-manag
>> ers-mendeley-vs-zotero-vs-docear/
>
> #+begin_quote
> A while ago, Mendeley was acquired by Elsevier for an estimated
> 69-100 Million Dollars.
> #+end_quote
>
> wow
>
> If Org-mode is better than Mendeley (which I don't know at all), then
> its worth a fortune ;)

;-)

yes, WOW!
Well, to come up with Mendeley concerning ease of use and intuitive GUI I'd
say that Emacs and org-mode will still have some way to go..

@Thorsten: maybe this short video gives you a idea about Mendeley and its
features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ct4O0Ect18
(Remark: I am in no way affiliated with Mendeley and I only use it rarely)

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-07-27 17:53 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> ... I am sure, you have a pretty good idea what to add to this list
> as well. So: add it :-)

My suggestion for a USP: "Org-mode comes with a unique community".

--
 Bastien

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-07-28 19:56   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-28 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Karl,
>
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> ... I am sure, you have a pretty good idea what to add to this list
>> as well. So: add it :-)
>
> My suggestion for a USP: "Org-mode comes with a unique community".

Maybe adding that Org-mode has a maintainer who owns the magic

,----
| M-x autopost
`----

command that makes M-x butterfly look trivial and prosaic in
comparison.

So be prepared to find 114 (!) new messages in the Org mailing list
after you went for a swim for 2hours or so, almost all of them from just
one person ;)

amazing ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
@ 2014-08-04 14:37   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

M wrote:
>> Von: Karl Voit <devnull-lKKztaIpiO84+ND2ZU0ZlA@public.gmane.org>
>>
>> I was wondering if there are people out there who also need Org-mode
>> features that are *not part of any other software solution*. For the
>> usual question "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?" I'd like to have
>> a list of cool Org-mode features that demonstrate the benefit.
>>
>> So, how about a short brainstorming here and a new Worg-page
>> collecting those things?
>>
>> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
>> more at one single place
>>
>> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
>> another script in language B (babel)
>>
>> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
>> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
>> (org-depend)
>
> Some more key selling points form someone who still tries to learn emacs
> just for using org-mode:
>
> * platform independent - available for Windows, UNIX and MacOS
>
> * free
>
> * tagging
>
> * powerful filtering and creation of "views" (agendas) from different
> perspectives
>
> * 110% customizable with scripting and keybindings
>
> * built on a very robust and well developed application (Emascs)
>
> * many other modules and extensions thanks to Emacs
>
> * all the above with simple plain text format - easy to save, DIFF and
> version control
>
> * defining custom templates for new notes/tasks/projects...
>
> * tasks and projects can be broken down hierarchically into subtasks with no
> limit in depth
>
> * powerful and customizable export
>
> * time clocking

+ Literate Programming capabilities

+ Reproducible Research capabilities, thank to Org Babel

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban