Eric Wong writes: > Kyle Meyer wrote: >> Eric Abrahamsen writes: >> >> > Hey, that works great! It's a bit weird that it still asks for a >> > username and password, I wonder if there's any way to skip that. I've >> > never dealt with anonymous IMAP before -- is there anything in the >> > connection process that explicitly tells us "you don't need to log on"? >> >> The server advertises AUTH=ANONYMOUS as a capability [*], so Gnus could >> detect that and send "AUTHENTICATE ANONYMOUS", I _think_. > > Fwiw, mutt detects AUTH=ANONYMOUS and uses it automatically, > so I think it's reasonable for Gnus and others do the same. Looks like it would be as simple as the attached diff. I have very little confidence in my understanding of the potential ramifications, though, so I'll open an Emacs bug and see what other people think. Eric