* org-no-popups overriding display-buffer-alist
@ 2021-02-06 16:33 "Joshua O'Connor"
From: "Joshua O'Connor" @ 2021-02-06 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I was wondering what the reason is for Org to employ the tactic of
overriding the variable 'display-buffer-alist' in a few places, using
the 'org-no-popups' macro?

It's my understanding that this variable is to be exclusively set by
users, and acts as the "it's my program, I'll put windows where I want
them" setting.

The manual has this to say

"display-buffer-alist and display-buffer-base-action are user options—Lisp programs must never set or rebind them. display-buffer-overriding-action, on the other hand, is reserved for applications—who seldom use that option and if they use it, then with utmost care."

I've ended up with this rather inelegant cludge:

(defun org-switch-to-buffer-other-window (args)
"Switch to buffer in a second window on the current frame.
In particular, do not allow pop-up frames.
Returns the newly created buffer.
Redefined to allow pop-up windows."
  ;;  (org-no-popups
  ;;     (apply 'switch-to-buffer-other-window args)))
  (switch-to-buffer-other-window args))

Does anyone know of a better way to reassert my window preferences?

If concrete context will help: I'm specifically wanting to shift the
"*Org Select*" buffers into a side window rather than them do whatever
they want.

Cheers,
Joshua

* Re: org-no-popups overriding display-buffer-alist
@ 2021-09-29 12:52 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-09-29 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua O'Connor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"\"Joshua O'Connor\"" <joshua@joshuao.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the reason is for Org to employ the tactic of
> overriding the variable 'display-buffer-alist' in a few places, using
> the 'org-no-popups' macro?
>
> It's my understanding that this variable is to be exclusively set by
> users, and acts as the "it's my program, I'll put windows where I want
> them" setting.

For record, it has been fixed on current main by 399481bad.

Best,
Ihor