* Cannot link to files with no extension
@ 2022-03-08 20:52 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-03-08 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode cannot link to files without an extension. I therefore cannot
use org-store-link for org-journal files, etc.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.

* Re: Cannot link to files with no extension
@ 2022-03-09 17:13 ` Bhavin Gandhi
From: Bhavin Gandhi @ 2022-03-09 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Colin,

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 at 02:24, Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:
> Org-mode cannot link to files without an extension. I therefore cannot
> use org-store-link for org-journal files, etc.

I'm not able to reproduce this on the latest main branch. I tried this with
Emacs 28.0.91:

Opened the COPYING file from org-mode repository.
Executed M-x org-store-link
Created test.org and did C-c C-l.

I was able to create a link and open it with C-c C-o.

Can you add more details like version, and steps to reproduce with
emacs -Q?

Bhavin Gandhi (bhavin192) | https://geeksocket.in

* Re: Cannot link to files with no extension
@ 2022-03-09 19:32   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-03-09 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhavin Gandhi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello, Bhavin,

    > Hello Colin,
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 at 02:24, Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:
    >> Org-mode cannot link to files without an extension. I therefore
    >> cannot use org-store-link for org-journal files, etc.

    > I'm not able to reproduce this on the latest main branch. I tried
    > this with Emacs 28.0.91:

    > Opened the COPYING file from org-mode repository.  Executed M-x
    > org-store-link Created test.org and did C-c C-l.

    > I was able to create a link and open it with C-c C-o.

    > Can you add more details like version, and steps to reproduce with
    > emacs -Q?

    > -- Regards, Bhavin Gandhi (bhavin192) | https://geeksocket.in

Thanks for your reply.

1. Touch two files in some directory:
   touch a.org <RET>, touch z <RET>

2. emacs -Q <RET>

3. C-x f a.org <RET> and C-x f z <RET>

4. Write some text in each file
   (I suppose this is not really necessary).

5. Close the buffer z.

6. In a.org enter [[file:./z][This is file z]] and save.

7. Click on the link.

8. Message "Running less in /path/to/z ... done", but link does not
   open.

9. I get the same if I use C-c C-o.

10. Copy z to z.org.

11. In a.org enter [[file:./z.org][This is file z.org]] and save.

12. Link now opens if it's clicked or C-c C-o is used.

This test was done with emacs-29.0.50 and org-version 9.52. I'm on
Debian 4.9.290-1.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Colin.

* Re: Cannot link to files with no extension
@ 2022-03-10 22:16     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2022-03-10 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> 6. In a.org enter [[file:./z][This is file z]] and save.
>
> 7. Click on the link.
>
> 8. Message "Running less in /path/to/z ... done", but link does not
>    open.

This sounds like your `org-file-apps' is funny. What is its value?
Check also the value of the system-specific variable
`org-file-apps-{gnus,windowsnt,macos}' - whichever is applcible to your
case.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Cannot link to files with no extension
@ 2022-03-11  2:26       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2022-03-11  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Check also the value of the system-specific variable
> `org-file-apps-{gnus,windowsnt,macos}' - whichever is applcible to your
> case.

That should be `org-file-apps-{gnu,windowsnt,macos}'.
--

@ 2022-03-11  7:38       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-03-11  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> 6. In a.org enter [[file:./z][This is file z]] and save.
    >>
    >> 7. Click on the link.
    >>
    >> 8. Message "Running less in /path/to/z ... done", but link does
    >> not open.
    >>

    > This sounds like your `org-file-apps' is funny. What is its value?
    > Check also the value of the system-specific variable
    > `org-file-apps-{gnus,windowsnt,macos}' - whichever is applcible to
    > your case.

I have not altered (knowingly!) my 'org-file-apps' for years. Its value
is:

Value:
(("\\.pdf\\'" . "xpdf %s")
 (auto-mode . emacs)
 ("\\.x?html?\\'" lambda
  (file link)
  (eww-open-file file))
 ("\\.pdf\\'" . system)
 ("\\.dvi\\'" . system)
 ("\\.ps\\'" . system))

Original value was
((auto-mode . emacs)
 (directory . emacs)
 ("\\.mm\\'" . default)
 ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
 ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))

The odd thing is that my problem has just arisen. I don't remember
having it before say a few weeks ago.

Best wishes,

Colin.

* Re: Cannot link to files with no extension
@ 2022-03-11 12:28         ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-03-11 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I see the problem using emacs -Q, as I reported in a previous email.

* Re: Cannot link to files with no extension
@ 2022-03-12 11:37         ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-03-12 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
    >> Check also the value of the system-specific variable
    >> `org-file-apps-{gnus,windowsnt,macos}' - whichever is applcible
    >> to your case.

    > That should be `org-file-apps-{gnu,windowsnt,macos}'.  -- Nick

    > "There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
    > invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin
    > Fowler

It turns out I was clicking the wrong mouse button. On my setup, the
right-hand mouse button opens files 'b' and 'b.<extension>',
whereas the left-hand button only opens links to 'b.<extension>'. I was
not aware that the behaviour of org-mode links was mouse-button
dependent.

Best wishes,