Hi Tim, > None of what yuo wrote is a surprise. Unfortunately, it does mean two > things > > 1. Org mode cannot be used to create accessible PDF documents as long as > it depends on the latex environment to generate those documents. It means that Org mode cannot /currently/ be used… I have hope that in 1-2y this will change. > 2. Technically, Org mode cannot be used in any organisation (specifically government Can’t comment on this. > I don’t know if other document processors, like perhaps pandoc, can > create PDF files which contain the tagging and other structural > metadatra necessary to make PDFs accessible. Pandoc’s PDFs via LaTeX will have exactly the same problem. > Note that org also lacks any accessibility support for HTML generated > documents as well. However, this is less problematic as authors do have > some ability to add the necessary attributes that can improve > accessibility - an option not available with Latex. HTML has more inherent structure, so this situation is already much better. > An unfortunate situation really - especially given Emacs has one of the > most powerful and advanced accessibility options available via > emacspeak. Well, Emacs is a bit divorced from this problem. > I also won’t hold my breath for a new latgex core. THe latex3 initiative > seems to have failed or at least appears to be slower to be realised than perl6! Hmm? LaTeX3 switched gear, and arguably is working nicely. I expect you’re currently using quite a few bits of LaTeX3, even if you don’t know it. The accessibility effort was started ~2y ago, seems to be making progress (stalled a bit with covid), and is funded with a roadmap. I see good reason to think the current situation will change. All the best, Timothy