* Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2022-12-26  7:50 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-12-26  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi fellow Orgers,

I've been using clock tables for some time now, and they are very
useful.  However, it has just occurred to me that I'd really appreciate
another feature - a "task table".  By this, I mean a table (generated
much like a clock table) with a summary of all tasks in a given
file/subtree/etc.: how many of them there are, how many are in any
state, maybe how many have scheduled times and/or deadlines, how many
are past their deadline...

Now, question 1: is there any feature in Org mode to make C-c C-c do
something when the point is on a line e.g. matching certain regex?  This
way I could extend Org mode to do that myself.

I peeked around and found out `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook', so that's that.
Pretty nice!  Although some functions allowing stuff like "substitute
the results for the block that follows" etc. might be also nice.

Question 2: am I the only one who would like to see such a feature?
Would someone like to code it?  (I /might/ be tempted to do that, but
it's kinf difficult: while I signed FSF papers some time ago, I've
changed jibs since then and I suppose I'd need to got through some more
paperwork to fix that; also, I'm not sure whether I really want to, and
whether my employer would be willing to let me.)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2022-12-26  8:05 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-26  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://orgmode.org/manual/Capturing-column-view.html
https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2022-12-26  8:12   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-12-26  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-12-26, at 09:05, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I've been using clock tables for some time now, and they are very
>> useful.  However, it has just occurred to me that I'd really appreciate
>> another feature - a "task table".  By this, I mean a table (generated
>> much like a clock table) with a summary of all tasks in a given
>> file/subtree/etc.: how many of them there are, how many are in any
>> state, maybe how many have scheduled times and/or deadlines, how many
>> are past their deadline...
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Capturing-column-view.html
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html

Good point, I forgot about those.  But: is it possible for the column
view to just include the summary (like "100 headlines, including 10
TODOs and 30 DONEs"), without the headlines themselves?

Best,

--

@ 2022-12-26  8:26     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-26  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Capturing-column-view.html
>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html
>
> Good point, I forgot about those.  But: is it possible for the column
> view to just include the summary (like "100 headlines, including 10
> TODOs and 30 DONEs"), without the headlines themselves?

AFAIK, no. But it just boils down to keeping the top-level item with
summary columns.

If you have interest, going through org-colview.el code would be
helpful. It is a bit messy and deserves more cleaning and commenting.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2022-12-27  7:13       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-12-27  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-12-26, at 09:26, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Capturing-column-view.html
>>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html
>>
>> Good point, I forgot about those.  But: is it possible for the column
>> view to just include the summary (like "100 headlines, including 10
>> TODOs and 30 DONEs"), without the headlines themselves?
>
> AFAIK, no. But it just boils down to keeping the top-level item with
> summary columns.
>
> If you have interest, going through org-colview.el code would be
> helpful. It is a bit messy and deserves more cleaning and commenting.

Since org-colview is pretty long, I decided to look into the manual
instead.  But I couldn't make the column view to do what I wanted, i.e.,
count the TODO, DONE etc. items in various subtrees.  (What I want is
more or less "select status, count(*) group by status" for every level-1
tree.)  And I don't see the equivalent of "count()" among the possible
"summary types": https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html.

Best,

--

@ 2022-12-27  7:48         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-27  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> If you have interest, going through org-colview.el code would be
>> helpful. It is a bit messy and deserves more cleaning and commenting.
>
> Since org-colview is pretty long, I decided to look into the manual
> instead.  But I couldn't make the column view to do what I wanted, i.e.,
> count the TODO, DONE etc. items in various subtrees.  (What I want is
> more or less "select status, count(*) group by status" for every level-1
> tree.)  And I don't see the equivalent of "count()" among the possible
> "summary types": https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html.

You will likely need to implement a new summary type and add it to
org-columns-summary-types

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2023-01-03 18:00           ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-01-03 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-12-27, at 08:48, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>>> If you have interest, going through org-colview.el code would be
>>> helpful. It is a bit messy and deserves more cleaning and commenting.
>>
>> Since org-colview is pretty long, I decided to look into the manual
>> instead.  But I couldn't make the column view to do what I wanted, i.e.,
>> count the TODO, DONE etc. items in various subtrees.  (What I want is
>> more or less "select status, count(*) group by status" for every level-1
>> tree.)  And I don't see the equivalent of "count()" among the possible
>> "summary types": https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html.
>
> You will likely need to implement a new summary type and add it to
> org-columns-summary-types

I see.  I think I'll go another route then - in fact, I already started,
see https://mbork.pl/2023-01-02_Computing_Org_mode_TODO_stats :-)

@ 2023-01-03 18:29             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-01-03 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I see.  I think I'll go another route then - in fact, I already started,
> see https://mbork.pl/2023-01-02_Computing_Org_mode_TODO_stats :-)

That will also work.

But why `plist-get' + `org-element-at-point-no-context'?

You can instead use `org-element-property' + `org-element-at-point'.
`org-element-property' will be resilient against internal AST
representation changes and `org-element-at-point' will make use of
caching.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2023-01-04  5:48               ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-01-04  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-01-03, at 19:29, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I see.  I think I'll go another route then - in fact, I already started,
>> see https://mbork.pl/2023-01-02_Computing_Org_mode_TODO_stats :-)
>
> That will also work.
>
> But why `plist-get' + `org-element-at-point-no-context'?
>
> You can instead use `org-element-property' + `org-element-at-point'.
> `org-element-property' will be resilient against internal AST
> representation changes and `org-element-at-point' will make use of
> caching.

Yes, thanks - I saw your comment.  I will amend the post today.

Best,

--

@ 2023-01-23 20:48               ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-01-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-01-03, at 19:29, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I see.  I think I'll go another route then - in fact, I already started,
>> see https://mbork.pl/2023-01-02_Computing_Org_mode_TODO_stats :-)
>
> That will also work.
>
> But why `plist-get' + `org-element-at-point-no-context'?
>
> You can instead use `org-element-property' + `org-element-at-point'.
> `org-element-property' will be resilient against internal AST
> representation changes and `org-element-at-point' will make use of
> caching.

FYI: here is my finished code:

https://mbork.pl/2023-01-09_TODO_stats_table
https://mbork.pl/2023-01-23_TODO_stats_table_with_parameters

@ 2023-01-24  9:59                 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-01-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=7ad77965467602ced2cb8f3cded023882dc229a2

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2023-01-24 20:09                   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-01-24 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-01-24, at 10:59, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> https://mbork.pl/2023-01-09_TODO_stats_table
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=7ad77965467602ced2cb8f3cded023882dc229a2

Thanks!

--

@ 2023-01-25  2:37                     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-01-25  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25/01/2023 03:09, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>>> https://mbork.pl/2023-01-09_TODO_stats_table

Sorry for a too late response. The feature is documented in the manual,
see info "(org) Dynamic Blocks"
https://orgmode.org/manual/Dynamic-Blocks.html

Perhaps a close feature that might allow to return list that is
converted to table by org-babel is "#+call:", see info "(org) Evaluating
Code Blocks" https://orgmode.org/manual/Evaluating-Code-Blocks.html

* Re: Feature request: "task table" (similar to clock table)
@ 2023-01-25 19:53                       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-01-25 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-01-25, at 03:37, Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for a too late response. The feature is documented in the
> manual, see info "(org) Dynamic Blocks"
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Dynamic-Blocks.html

Ah, thanks!  I missed this.  (A long time ago I read almost all of the
Org manual, but I could have forgotten or omitted this.)

> Perhaps a close feature that might allow to return list that is
> converted to table by org-babel is "#+call:", see info "(org)
> Evaluating Code Blocks"
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Evaluating-Code-Blocks.html

Indeed.

Marcin Borkowski