* automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-20 12:14 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-09-20 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I sometimes work in an org-file that I currently do not have included in org-agenda-files.

Having the cursor for example on a timestamp in that file and pressing TAB I will see the agenda of
that day.

What happens is that the agenda opens and I do not see my todo since the file is not in
org-agenda-files. This seems unintuitive to me. I will then manually add the current file to
org-agenda-files.

Maybe there could be a variable allowing to automatically include the current org file in
org-agenda-files when agenda view is activated from a on-included file?

What do you think?

Rainer

* Re: automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-20 13:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-20 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

> Maybe there could be a variable allowing to automatically include the
> current org file in org-agenda-files when agenda view is activated from
> a on-included file?
>
> What do you think?

I think it would be very useful.

Depending on a new custom variable:

- always include the file automatically
- include the file if [condition: interactive prompt/regexp/...]
- don't include the file

--
Bastien

* Re: automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-21 14:23   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-21 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 20, 2007, at 15:50, Bastien wrote:

> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:
>
>> Maybe there could be a variable allowing to automatically include the
>> current org file in org-agenda-files when agenda view is activated
>> from
>> a on-included file?
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I think it would be very useful.
>
> Depending on a new custom variable:
>
> - always include the file automatically
> - include the file if [condition: interactive prompt/regexp/...]
> - don't include the file

Are (both of) you thinking about *permanently* adding it to the agenda
files, or only temporarily for the current agenda command?

- Carsten

* Re: automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-21 14:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-21 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>> Depending on a new custom variable:
>>
>> - always include the file automatically
>> - include the file if [condition: interactive prompt/regexp/...]
>> - don't include the file
>

> Are (both of) you thinking about *permanently* adding it to the agenda
> files, or only temporarily for the current agenda command?

I was thinking of *permanently* adding them.

--
Bastien

* Re: automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-24 14:39       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-09-24 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien schrieb:
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>>> Depending on a new custom variable:
>>>
>>> - always include the file automatically
>>> - include the file if [condition: interactive prompt/regexp/...]
>>> - don't include the file
>>
>> Are (both of) you thinking about *permanently* adding it to the agenda
>> files, or only temporarily for the current agenda command?
>
> I was thinking of *permanently* adding them.

Well I would rather add it temporarily.
But - maybe a config variable would decide?

@ 2007-09-25  1:00     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-25  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

   Are (both of) you thinking about *permanently* adding it to the agenda
   files, or only temporarily for the current agenda command?

I would likely want this *temporarily*.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Re: automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-25 16:09         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-25 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 24, 2007, at 7:39, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Bastien schrieb:

>>> Are (both of) you thinking about *permanently* adding it to the
>>> agenda
>>> files, or only temporarily for the current agenda command?
>>
>> I was thinking of *permanently* adding them.
>>

> Well I would rather add it temporarily.

Also for me this would be the only reasonable choice.  I have so many
files on
org-mode, most of them are actually not in the agenda.  It seems to me
that
adding a file to the list of agenda files should be a conscious
decision.

- Carsten

* Re: automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-25 16:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 20, 2007, at 5:14, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I sometimes work in an org-file that I currently do not have included
> in org-agenda-files.
>
> Having the cursor for example on a timestamp in that file and pressing
> TAB I will see the agenda of
> that day.
>
> What happens is that the agenda opens and I do not see my todo since
> the file is not in
> org-agenda-files. This seems unintuitive to me. I will then manually
> add the current file to
> org-agenda-files.
>
> Maybe there could be a variable allowing to automatically include the
> current org file in
> org-agenda-files when agenda view is activated from a on-included file?
>
> What do you think?

After some thinking, it seems to me that this is not the right thing to
do.
As I said earlier in the thread, adding a file should be something
you explicitly request.

It you want to temporarily look at the agenda entry a file would
produce,
you can always create an agenda restricted to the current buffer.  That
buffer does not have to be a member of org-agenda-files.

E.g.

C-c a 1 a

- Carsten

* Re: automatically (?) including an org-file in org-agenda-files ...
@ 2007-09-28 22:46       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-28 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Xavier!

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    Are (both of) you thinking about *permanently* adding it to the agenda
>    files, or only temporarily for the current agenda command?
>
> I would likely want this *temporarily*.

Carsten already answered this here:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/3351

--