From: Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Cc: emacs-orgmode@garydjones.name
Subject: Re: From state table to state diagram
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:00:48 +0100	[thread overview]

Gary <emacs-orgmode@garydjones.name> writes:

> Sorry, I've been rather lax on this :( I got dragged onto other stuff,
> went on training courses, and all sorts of other things.
>
> Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Babel does support generating diagrams with graphviz via "dot" code
>> blocks.  Babel is also capable of converting Org-mode tables to list
>> objects in a number of languages, so I'd recommend writing a table->dot
>> script in your favorite language, and then using babel to handle the
>> coordination and Org-mode integration.
>
> That's all very easy for you to say :))
>
>> I'm happy to help in this regard, the first step would be something like
>> the following example which assumes python is your preferred scripting
>> language (as you can see I have no idea what your state table may look
>> like)...
>
> Well, wikipedia suggests the following[1] (and goes into further detail
> as well[2])
>     | Current State -> | State | State | State |
>     | Input   v        |   A   |   B   |   C   |
>     |------------------+-------+-------+-------|
>     | x                |   B   | ...   | ...   |
>     | y                | ...   |   C   | ...   |
> which basically says that when the machine is in State A and receives
> 'x' then it transitions to State B, and when it receives a 'y' in State
> B it transitions to State C.
>
>> #+results: state-table
>> | 1 | 2 |
>> | 3 | 4 |
>>
>> #+source: table-to-dot
>> #+begin_src python :var table=state-table
>>   python code here
>
> Okay. What should this python code here do? :) I know, it converts a
> table to dot-script, but are there any examples I could look at which
> take a table as input and output something (anything), just so I can see
> how the python code should expect its input?

Hi Gary,

The answer is that python receives that as [[1, 2], [3, 4]]. There are a
few ways to arrive at that answer. For your table-to-dot script I
suspect it is going to be easiest to use the ":results output" header
argument, which means that the result will be the printed output of the
python block (as opposed to...[1]). So using that, one way to see how
python receives its input is:

#+source: table-to-dot
#+begin_src python :var table=state-table :results output
  print str(table)
#+end_src

#+results: table-to-dot
: [[1, 2], [3, 4]]

Another way is to place point in the code block and use C-c C-v C-v
`org-babel-expand-src-block'.

Alternatively, you might want to use a session to play around with the
input data structure interactively. In that case, add ":session", and
use either C-u C-c C-v C-z or C-u C-c C-v z to bring up the emacs python
session with the input variable pre-loaded.

Dan

>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+begin_src dot :var text=table-to-dot(table=state-table)
>>   graph{
>>     $text
>>   }
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Once this is working I think it could make a great addition to the
>> library of babel [1] (a collection of generally useful code blocks).
>
> Sure :)
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-state_machine#Concepts_and_vocabulary
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_transition_table

Footnotes:

[1] As opposed to the default mode in which the result of the block is
the value of the last statement, turned into an Org-mode table if it is
a list/vector type object.