* Tips for writing lecture notes in org-beamer?
@ 2010-09-24 13:56 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2010-09-24 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

Has anyone recently used org-beamer to write lecture notes?  I'm now
updating my lecture notes on a R course, which previously I wrote in
latex with beamer.  I'm intrigued by the possibility of using org mode
directly, although I am yet to be convinced whether it will be any
easier than using auctex directly.  Has anyone written a set of lecture
notes recently in org mode, to persuade me?

For example, see http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/eglen/emacs/beamer.txt
for how I set up emacs with beamer, so that e.g. the table of contents
feature from reftex-toc works.  Also, I have auctex set up so that C-M-x
"sends" the current slide to latex for processing, so that I can just
see how the current slide gets typeset rather than recompiling the whole
document.  Can I process just the current slide in org mode?

So far I've found the following two sites useful:

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/10/writing-presentations-with-org-mode-and.html

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php
[In this tutorial.php, the link in footnote 1 is brokenn -- how do I
download presentation.org?]

For those interested, my R lecture notes (both .tex and beamer pdf) are
freely available as accompanying material for a paper I wrote last year:

  http://www.ploscompbiol.org/doi/pcbi.1000482

If I make significant progress with org mode and beamer, I'd be happy to
provide extra materials.

Best wishes, Stephen

* Re: Tips for writing lecture notes in org-beamer?
@ 2010-10-01 19:54 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-01 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Eglen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:56:34 +0100, Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen@damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Has anyone recently used org-beamer to write lecture notes?  I'm now

[...]

> So far I've found the following two sites useful:
>
> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/10/writing-presentations-with-org-mode-and.html
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php
> [In this tutorial.php, the link in footnote 1 is brokenn -- how do I
> download presentation.org?]

Yes, the target of the link has been converted for the web site, which
it shouldn't have.  I am not sure how to get the Worg automatic
publishing mode to not do this...  hopefully somebody else can answer
and/or fix the link in that footnote.

In the meantime, attached is the file =presentation.org=.

HTH,
eric

#+TITLE:     Writing Beamer presentations in org-mode
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+EMAIL:     e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
#+DATE:      2010-03-30 Tue
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

#+startup: oddeven

#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
#+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{Madrid}}
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2

#+COLUMNS: %20ITEM %13BEAMER_env(Env) %6BEAMER_envargs(Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %7BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* Introduction
** Overview
- org-mode template
- beamer structure
- beamer settings

* Methodology

** A simple slide
This slide consists of some text with a number of bullet points:
- the first, very @important@, point!
- the previous point shows the use of the special markup which
  translates to the Beamer specific /alert/ command for highlighting
  text.
The above list could be numbered or any other type of list and may
include sub-lists.

** A more complex slide
This slide illustrates the use of Beamer blocks.  The following text,
with its own headline, is displayed in a block:
*** Org mode increases productivity				  :B_theorem:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: theorem
    :END:
    - org mode means not having to remember \LaTeX commands.
    - it is based on ascii text which is inherently portable.
    - Emacs!

    \hfill \(\qed\)

** Two columns

*** A block					      :B_ignoreheading:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :BEAMER_col: 0.4
    :END:
    - this slide consists of two columns
    - the first (left) column has no heading and consists of text
    - the second (right) column has an image and is enclosed in an
      @example@ block

*** A screenshot 					    :BMCOL:B_example:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.6
    :BEAMER_env: example
    :END:
    #+ATTR_LATEX: width=\textwidth
    [[file:../../images/org-beamer/a-simple-slide.png]]

* Conclusions

** Summary
   - org is an incredible tool for time management
   - @but@ it is also excellent for writing and for preparing presentations
   - Beamer is a very powerful \LaTeX{} package for presentations
   - the combination is unbeatable!

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Tips for writing lecture notes in org-beamer?
@ 2010-10-01 20:35   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-10-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Stephen Eglen

Eric,

Per Bastien, you put the file wherever, but you link to the file at
http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/path/to/file/file.org. For example:
- If the file is in: ~/worg.git/org-tutorials/org-beamer/presentation.org

- You make the footnote/link to:
http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/org-tutorials/org-beamer/presentation.org
--- You can try that link; it works
--- Afaik, you can't help that it gets "worg-i-fied/published" but this is
how to link to the actual .org file

Hope that helps,
John

@ 2010-10-02 19:30     ` Eric S Fraga