* Okular Metadata to Org
@ 2010-11-20  0:51 Ross Glover
From: Ross Glover @ 2010-11-20  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

My first post to the list.  I've been working on this python script to
extract Okular metadata and insert it into an org-mode file.  I like
using Okular to read and take notes, but accessing those notes is a
total pain.  This script takes care of that problem.

You can get the code  here:
    git clone git://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~rossg/okutorg.git

What the script does is read the xml and creates a .org file with this
structure:

* [[/home/USER/articles/feminism/aronson-Feminism_or_Post-feminism.pdf]]
** [[bibnotes:1 /home/USER/articles/feminism/aronson-Feminism_or_Post-feminism.pdf][Young women no longer]]
Young women no longer concern themselves with discrimination.

By adding the following lisp to my .emacs files, each 'bibnotes' link
type will open the file to the page on which the note was taken.
Unfortunately, Okular has no switch for opening on a specified
annotation, but the page is not a bad result.

{{{
;; Open okular from org bibnotes to correct page.
(org-add-link-type "bibnotes" 'org-follow-bibnotes-link)
(defun org-follow-bibnotes-link (link)
  "Follow links of the type 'pagenumber path/to/file"
  (when (string-match "\\([0-9]+\\)\\([[:blank:]]+\\)\\(\/.*\.pdf\\)" link)
       (start-process "okular" nil "okular" "-p"
                      (match-string 1 link)
                      (match-string 3 link))))
}}}

The overall code is not great, as I am not a great coder by any
stretch.  Nor is the script feature rich, currently it just does a
recursive dump of all the okular metadata files that have
annotations.  It does check the .org file for duplicate entries, but in
a rudamentary fashion.

I wanted to integrate this with pymacs or do the import with
lisp, but both of those things are beyond me at the moment.

Any thoughts are welcome.  You're welcome to flame me about feminism,
but please not about the code (I know it's weak).  This is the first
thing I've ever made public.  Help don't hate ;) .

Hopefully someone else will find this useful,

Ross

--

Sent from an Emacs buffer.

* Re: Okular Metadata to Org
@ 2010-11-22  9:13 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-11-22  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Glover; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/20/2010 01:51 AM, Ross Glover wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My first post to the list.  I've been working on this python script to
> extract Okular metadata and insert it into an org-mode file.  I like
> using Okular to read and take notes, but accessing those notes is a
> total pain.  This script takes care of that problem.
>
> You can get the code  here:
>     git clone git://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~rossg/okutorg.git
>
> What the script does is read the xml and creates a .org file with this
> structure:
>
> * [[/home/USER/articles/feminism/aronson-Feminism_or_Post-feminism.pdf]]
> ** [[bibnotes:1 /home/USER/articles/feminism/aronson-Feminism_or_Post-feminism.pdf][Young women no longer]]
> Young women no longer concern themselves with discrimination.
>
> By adding the following lisp to my .emacs files, each 'bibnotes' link
> type will open the file to the page on which the note was taken.
> Unfortunately, Okular has no switch for opening on a specified
> annotation, but the page is not a bad result.
>
> {{{
> ;; Open okular from org bibnotes to correct page.
> (org-add-link-type "bibnotes" 'org-follow-bibnotes-link)
> (defun org-follow-bibnotes-link (link)
>   "Follow links of the type 'pagenumber path/to/file"
>   (when (string-match "\\([0-9]+\\)\\([[:blank:]]+\\)\\(\/.*\.pdf\\)" link)
>        (start-process "okular" nil "okular" "-p"
>                       (match-string 1 link)
>                       (match-string 3 link))))
> }}}
>

> The overall code is not great, as I am not a great coder by any
> stretch.  Nor is the script feature rich, currently it just does a
> recursive dump of all the okular metadata files that have
> annotations.  It does check the .org file for duplicate entries, but in
> a rudamentary fashion.
>
> I wanted to integrate this with pymacs or do the import with
> lisp, but both of those things are beyond me at the moment.
>
> Any thoughts are welcome.  You're welcome to flame me about feminism,
> but please not about the code (I know it's weak).  This is the first
> thing I've ever made public.  Help don't hate ;) .

I like it - it looks really nice. I liked okular as well, but reluctant
to use as the comments and notes were for me locked into okular, which I
did not like. So with this script, I can at least extract them to be
readable from org.

1) Are you planning to also include the edits (new text, ...) into the
org file, as it would be useful to have all those in it.

2) Would it be possible to re-use an existing okular instance? it is a
little bit annoying to have several instances open, when browsing
through notes.

As I said, I like the script, and I am thinking about running this as a
batch job each time I start emacs.

Now we just need the opposite: click in a pdf at a certain location and
org opens with the link to there to add the note - am I dreaming here?

Cheers,

Rainer

> Hopefully someone else will find this useful,
>
> Ross

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building