* Example for beamer export with blocks and twocolumn
@ 2010-12-09 14:55 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2010-12-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Is there a complete example of getting blocks and two-columns to work
with beamer export? The corresponding code is not being generated in the
latex file. I assume there is something wrong with my
org-export-latex-classes. I'm using Org-mode 7.3 with Emacs 23.1.1.

This seems to have cropped up before, but I didn't see a solution that
seemed applicable to my case.

Thanks,

Loris
--
Dr. Loris Bennett
ZEDAT Computer Centre

* Re: Example for beamer export with blocks and twocolumn
@ 2010-12-10  3:30 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-10  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Loris Bennett
<loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a complete example of getting blocks and two-columns to work
> with beamer export? The corresponding code is not being generated in the
> latex file. I assume there is something wrong with my
> org-export-latex-classes. I'm using Org-mode 7.3 with Emacs 23.1.1.

This is an example from a resent presentation I gave. This shows up as
a plot on the left column and 2 equations related to the plot on the
right column.

#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 3

* Some Section
** Some Subsection
*** \subsecname \\ some description
**** Columns							  :B_columns:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_env: columns
     :END:

***** 0.4 							   :B_column:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_env: column
      :END:
      #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=4.5cm,height=6cm,angle=0
      [[file:~/org/path/to/image1.png]]

***** 0.5 							   :B_column:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_env: column
      :END:
****** Smearing function				    :B_ignoreheading:
       :PROPERTIES:
       :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
       :END:
       $$\Bigg\} E_{\parallel} \rightarrow T_1 \times E_{\parallel} +
       T_2 \times \mathcal{G}$$ \vspace{6 mm}

       $$\Bigg\}E_{\perp} \rightarrow T_3 \times E_{\perp} + T_4
       \times \mathcal{G}$$ \vspace{6 mm}

> Loris

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Example for beamer export with blocks and twocolumn
@ 2010-12-10  3:33   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-10  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorry forgot to Include a line,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Example for beamer export with blocks and twocolumn
@ 2010-12-10  7:42   ` Loris Bennett
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Loris Bennett @ 2010-12-10  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Loris Bennett
> <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a complete example of getting blocks and two-columns to work
>> with beamer export? The corresponding code is not being generated in the
>> latex file. I assume there is something wrong with my
>> org-export-latex-classes. I'm using Org-mode 7.3 with Emacs 23.1.1.
>>

> This is an example from a resent presentation I gave. This shows up as
> a plot on the left column and 2 equations related to the plot on the
> right column.
>

> #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 3

> * Some Section
> ** Some Subsection
> *** \subsecname \\ some description
> **** Columns							  :B_columns:
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :BEAMER_env: columns
>      :END:
>
> ***** 0.4 							   :B_column:
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :BEAMER_env: column
>       :END:
>       #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=4.5cm,height=6cm,angle=0
>       [[file:~/org/path/to/image1.png]]
>
> ***** 0.5 							   :B_column:
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :BEAMER_env: column
>       :END:
> ****** Smearing function				    :B_ignoreheading:
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>        :END:
>        $$\Bigg\} E_{\parallel} \rightarrow T_1 \times E_{\parallel} +
>        T_2 \times \mathcal{G}$$ \vspace{6 mm}
>
>        $$\Bigg\}E_{\perp} \rightarrow T_3 \times E_{\perp} + T_4
>        \times \mathcal{G}$$ \vspace{6 mm}
>

>> Loris
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. However, I my problem is not with the main
presentation part of the org file.

What I would really like to see is

1. the preamble to the presentation where the MACROs LaTeX_CLASS options
etc. are given

2. The value org-export-latex-classes

I have found various examples, but when I put it together, structures
such as blocks and two-column just are not exported to the LaTeX file.

Could some one provide me with a *complete* example?

Thanks

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett
ZEDAT Computer Centre

* Re: Re: Example for beamer export with blocks and twocolumn
@ 2010-12-10  8:13     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-10  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Loris Bennett
<loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> What I would really like to see is
>
> 1. the preamble to the presentation where the MACROs LaTeX_CLASS options
> etc. are given

I gave that, only one line for me. (there are other lines but they are
not related to columns) Here it is again,

#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %9BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)

> 2. The value org-export-latex-classes

I didn't customise anything, this is the default.

(("article" "\\documentclass[11pt]{article}"
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
  ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
  ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}"))
 ("report" "\\documentclass[11pt]{report}"
  ("\\part{%s}" . "\\part*{%s}")
  ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}"))
 ("book" "\\documentclass[11pt]{book}"
  ("\\part{%s}" . "\\part*{%s}")
  ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}"))
 ("beamer" "\\documentclass{beamer}" org-beamer-sectioning))

@ 2010-12-10  8:43     ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2010-12-10  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Loris,
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Loris Bennett
>> <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a complete example of getting blocks and two-columns to work
>>> with beamer export? The corresponding code is not being generated in the
>>> latex file. I assume there is something wrong with my
>>> org-export-latex-classes. I'm using Org-mode 7.3 with Emacs 23.1.1.
>>>

>> This is an example from a resent presentation I gave. This shows up as
>> a plot on the left column and 2 equations related to the plot on the
>> right column.
>>

>> #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 3

>> * Some Section
>> ** Some Subsection
>> *** \subsecname \\ some description
>> **** Columns							  :B_columns:
>>      :PROPERTIES:
>>      :BEAMER_env: columns
>>      :END:
>>
>> ***** 0.4 							   :B_column:
>>       :PROPERTIES:
>>       :BEAMER_env: column
>>       :END:
>>       #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=4.5cm,height=6cm,angle=0
>>       [[file:~/org/path/to/image1.png]]
>>
>> ***** 0.5 							   :B_column:
>>       :PROPERTIES:
>>       :BEAMER_env: column
>>       :END:
>> ****** Smearing function				    :B_ignoreheading:
>>        :PROPERTIES:
>>        :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>>        :END:
>>        $$\Bigg\} E_{\parallel} \rightarrow T_1 \times E_{\parallel} +
>>        T_2 \times \mathcal{G}$$ \vspace{6 mm}
>>
>>        $$\Bigg\}E_{\perp} \rightarrow T_3 \times E_{\perp} + T_4
>>        \times \mathcal{G}$$ \vspace{6 mm}
>>

>>> Loris
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks for the reply. However, I my problem is not with the main
> presentation part of the org file.
>
> What I would really like to see is
>
> 1. the preamble to the presentation where the MACROs LaTeX_CLASS options
> etc. are given
>
> 2. The value org-export-latex-classes
>
> I have found various examples, but when I put it together, structures
> such as blocks and two-column just are not exported to the LaTeX file.
>
> Could some one provide me with a *complete* example?
>
> Thanks
>
> Loris

OK, reading the replies I received, I realised that my
org-export-latex-classes was borked, due to my somewhat random
tweaking. I removed the customisation and, hey presto, blocks and
two-column appeared.

Thank for the help

--

@ 2010-12-10 21:04     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-10 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

[...]

> Thanks for the reply. However, I my problem is not with the main
> presentation part of the org file.
>
> What I would really like to see is
>
> 1. the preamble to the presentation where the MACROs LaTeX_CLASS options
> etc. are given

Loris,

did you have a look at the tutorial on Worg:

: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php

it includes a link to an example presentation,

: http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/org-tutorials/org-beamer/presentation.org

one that works /out of the box/ with org, or should...  and the example
includes a slide that is basically what you are trying to do.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.232.g972b0)

* Re: Example for beamer export with blocks and twocolumn
@ 2010-12-13  7:59       ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2010-12-13  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Thanks for the reply. However, I my problem is not with the main
>> presentation part of the org file.
>>
>> What I would really like to see is
>>
>> 1. the preamble to the presentation where the MACROs LaTeX_CLASS options
>> etc. are given
>
> Loris,
>
> did you have a look at the tutorial on Worg:
>
> : http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php
>
> it includes a link to an example presentation,
>
> : http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/org-tutorials/org-beamer/presentation.org
>
> one that works /out of the box/ with org, or should...  and the example
> includes a slide that is basically what you are trying to do.
>
> HTH,
> eric

Hi Eric,

The examples do indeed work out of the box. My problem was that I was am
using Emacs 23.1.1, which comes with orgmode 6.21b. I then set up
org-export-latex-classes by hand for 'beamer' and got things sort of
working apart from blocks and two-column. I subsequently installed
orgmode 7.3, but still retained my customisations, and was thus still
unable to get blocks and two-column. Removing the customisation fixed
things.

Perhaps a remark about how to set org-export-latex-classes could be
added to the documentation in the wiki, particularly since the current
Debian stable comes with emacs 22.2, which presumably contains a yet older
version of orgmode.

Cheers

Loris

--

@ 2010-12-15  9:46         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-15  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

[...]

> Perhaps a remark about how to set org-export-latex-classes could be
> added to the documentation in the wiki, particularly since the current
> Debian stable comes with emacs 22.2, which presumably contains a yet older
> version of orgmode.

Good point.  I'll update the beamer tutorial on Worg to make sure it
states clearly what version of org is required.  I don't think there's
any mileage to be gained in going into details about
org-export-latex-classes, however.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.25.geb0d)