* bug: hovering window obscures text
@ 2011-05-02 17:09 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-05-02 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On this page

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#closing-outline-sections

a hovering window in the upper right corner obscures text.

This is possibly, but not necessarily, especially so when you use large fonts.

To reproduce, set the minimum font size in Firefox to the largest
available setting.

I wonder if a non-hovering solution is possible?  I know we discussed
this before at one point, with several good designs.

Thanks.

Samuel

--
The Kafka Pandemic:
  http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html

* Re: bug: hovering window obscures text
@ 2011-05-03  5:02 ` Aankhen
From: Aankhen @ 2011-05-03  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 22:39, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On this page
>
>  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#closing-outline-sections
>
> a hovering window in the upper right corner obscures text.
>
> This is possibly, but not necessarily, especially so when you use large fonts.
>
> To reproduce, set the minimum font size in Firefox to the largest
> available setting.
>
> I wonder if a non-hovering solution is possible?  I know we discussed
> this before at one point, with several good designs.

I’m not familiar with the prior discussions.  The current design seems
okay to me—notwithstanding the flaw you mention—because it strikes a
good balance between making the TOC easily accessible and minimizing
the amount of space it takes up.  Of course, this is predicated on the
assumption that people actually want to use the TOC, and often enough
to justify it taking up that space.

Meanwhile, for a quick fix, try this user style:

  http://userstyles.org/styles/47418/worg-disable-fixed-toc

Aankhen

* Re: bug: hovering window obscures text
@ 2011-05-03  5:41   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-05-03  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aankhen <aankhen@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 22:39, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On this page
>>
>>  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#closing-outline-sections
>>
>> a hovering window in the upper right corner obscures text.
>>
>> This is possibly, but not necessarily, especially so when you use large fonts.
>>
>> To reproduce, set the minimum font size in Firefox to the largest
>> available setting.
>>
>> I wonder if a non-hovering solution is possible?  I know we discussed
>> this before at one point, with several good designs.
>
> I’m not familiar with the prior discussions.  The current design seems
> okay to me—notwithstanding the flaw you mention—because it strikes a
> good balance between making the TOC easily accessible and minimizing
> the amount of space it takes up.  Of course, this is predicated on the
> assumption that people actually want to use the TOC, and often enough
> to justify it taking up that space.

Considering that Samuel is making his argument from accessibility
perspective, "Accessibility" is one another predicate that is missing in
your assumption.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2011-05-03  5:56     ` Aankhen
From: Aankhen @ 2011-05-03  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:11, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aankhen <aankhen@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 22:39, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On this page
>>>
>>>  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#closing-outline-sections
>>>
>>> a hovering window in the upper right corner obscures text.
>>>
>>> This is possibly, but not necessarily, especially so when you use large fonts.
>>>
>>> To reproduce, set the minimum font size in Firefox to the largest
>>> available setting.
>>>
>>> I wonder if a non-hovering solution is possible?  I know we discussed
>>> this before at one point, with several good designs.
>>
>> I’m not familiar with the prior discussions.  The current design seems
>> okay to me—notwithstanding the flaw you mention—because it strikes a
>> good balance between making the TOC easily accessible and minimizing
>> the amount of space it takes up.  Of course, this is predicated on the
>> assumption that people actually want to use the TOC, and often enough
>> to justify it taking up that space.
>
> Considering that Samuel is making his argument from accessibility
> perspective, "Accessibility" is one another predicate that is missing in
> your assumption.

I’m not sure how accessibility is hindered, given that the contents of
the page are still perfectly accessible.  All the fixed TOC does is
obscure a very small portion of them on occasion, which can be
rectified by scrolling.  I would call that inconvenient, not
inaccessible.  Unless there’s more happening here beyond what I’ve
seen, that is.

Aankhen

* Re: bug: hovering window obscures text
@ 2011-05-03  7:00       ` Aankhen
From: Aankhen @ 2011-05-03  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Sorry for replying to my own message.)

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:26, Aankhen <aankhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:11, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aankhen <aankhen@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I’m not familiar with the prior discussions.  The current design seems
>>> okay to me—notwithstanding the flaw you mention—because it strikes a
>>> good balance between making the TOC easily accessible and minimizing
>>> the amount of space it takes up.  Of course, this is predicated on the
>>> assumption that people actually want to use the TOC, and often enough
>>> to justify it taking up that space.
>>
>> Considering that Samuel is making his argument from accessibility
>> perspective, "Accessibility" is one another predicate that is missing in
>> your assumption.
>
> I’m not sure how accessibility is hindered, given that the contents of
> the page are still perfectly accessible.  All the fixed TOC does is
> obscure a very small portion of them on occasion, which can be
> rectified by scrolling.  I would call that inconvenient, not
> inaccessible.  Unless there’s more happening here beyond what I’ve
> seen, that is.

Poking around a little shows that the current design is entirely
unusable via keyboard.  Now that does seem like a gamebreaker,
accessibility-wise.

Aankhen

* Re: bug: hovering window obscures text
@ 2011-05-04  7:59         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-04  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aankhen <aankhen@gmail.com> writes:

> (Sorry for replying to my own message.)
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:26, Aankhen <aankhen@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

>> I’m not sure how accessibility is hindered, given that the contents of
>> the page are still perfectly accessible.  All the fixed TOC does is
>> obscure a very small portion of them on occasion, which can be
>> rectified by scrolling.  I would call that inconvenient, not
>> inaccessible.  Unless there’s more happening here beyond what I’ve
>> seen, that is.
>
> Poking around a little shows that the current design is entirely
> unusable via keyboard.  Now that does seem like a gamebreaker,
> accessibility-wise.
>
> Aankhen

Yes, this aspect *is* a little annoying/frustrating.  I use conkeror as
my web browser and navigate almost exclusively with the keyboard (mouse
use affects my RSI).  These pages require me to use the mouse to access
the table of contents.

But I do like how the table of contents functions otherwise, I must
admit, which is why my own personal pages use this default
configuration.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.246.ga35b4.dirty)