Eric Schulte writes: [...] >> Yes and no. I *do* want the effect that is achieved by using an inline >> block but I do *not* want to write the whole block inline > > I find the following pattern > > #+source: big-block > #+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none > "something complex" > #+end_src > > Here is some text with src_emacs-lisp[:var it=big-block]{it} in the > middle. > > to be helpful in these situations. Okay, this is very useful! It's difficult to get this working with Octave but I think I have managed it. It also doesn't allow for parametrised calls to the source code block but that's easy to simulate with a two level approach, I think. For completeness, I've attached a file which shows that it *can* work but also that it confuses the export of lists (Nicolas?) if the inline code is in a list item. [...] > nope, there is no way to issue an in-line call, although maybe this > wouldn't be the worst idea if only for the added brevity over an inline > code block. > > I'll put it on my long-term low-priority stack. :) Brilliant. Low priority is perfectly fine. A solution is possible as it stands and that's what matters! Thanks, eric