* Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-07 17:54 Memnon Anon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-08-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Just a heads up:

       http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/142944

I don't know anything about this, but maybe something can be said/done
about it while Bastien enjoys his vacation?

Memnon

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-07 18:40 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-08-07 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Memnon Anon
<gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a heads up:
>
>       http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/142944
>
> I don't know anything about this, but maybe something can be said/done
> about it while Bastien enjoys his vacation?

I see my name in there. I only submitted a small (touching less than 20
lines) documentation patch[1]. Would I still need to sign the copyright
assignment? If so, how do I initiate the process?

> Memnon

Footnotes:

[1] commit 71d871f96e3e916a9542daeb6d3b102a77d9b068
    Author: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
    Date:   Mon Jul 4 15:03:06 2011 +0200

        Improve "Images in LaTeX export" documentation

        * Mention use of keywords like multicolumn and float
        * Remove previous mention of hack with placement option
          as per comments on the mailing list. The hack is
          better suited for Worg.

     doc/org.texi |   34 ++++++++++++++++------------------

Suvayu

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-07 18:59 ` Ethan Ligon
From: Ethan Ligon @ 2011-08-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Just a heads up:
>
>        http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/142944
>
> I don't know anything about this, but maybe something can be said/done
> about it while Bastien enjoys his vacation?

I'm afraid I'm mentioned twice.  The first has to do with copyright
assignment; I've begun the process described in org-contribute.org
to assign copyright to the FSF.

The second has to do with an incomplete ChangeLog entry for one of my
patches (commit 49e6bc899758114d6d29e69a8f9e40798d26782b).  I don't
know the best to clean this up, since the ChangeLog is derived from
the git log.  But here's a ChangeLog entry that I think would have been
valid:

commit 49e6bc899758114d6d29e69a8f9e40798d26782b
Author: Ethan Ligon <ligon@are.berkeley.edu>
Date:   Sat Apr 9 18:39:35 2011 +0200

    Fix for html & docbook export of description list items

    * lisp/org-html.el (org-html-export-list-line): Fix regexp for
      detecting description lists to allow "::" marker to be last
      visible element at end of line.
    * lisp/org-docbook.el (org-docbook-export-list-line): Fix regexp for
      detecting description lists to allow "::" marker to be last
      visible element at end of line.

    The problem is illustrated by the following example:

    * Illustration of bug in html export
      - This has a space after the colons :: so will work in latex and html
      - This doesn't have a space after the colons ::so is an invalid
        description item according to the org manual.  Won't work in html
        or docbook.  Will nevertheless work in latex, provided /first/
        description item is valid.
      - Has a terminating space ::
        - So it works in both html and latex export!
        - Even though it's difficult to distinguish from the next example.
      - Lacks a terminating space ::
        - At present, *doesn't* work in html or docbook export, does in
          latex.  This is the case that the following patch fixes.

-Ethan

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-09 12:26   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-08-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Memnon Anon
> <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a heads up:
>>
>>       http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/142944
>>
>> I don't know anything about this, but maybe something can be said/done
>> about it while Bastien enjoys his vacation?
>>

> I see my name in there. I only submitted a small (touching less than 20
> lines) documentation patch[1]. Would I still need to sign the copyright
> assignment? If so, how do I initiate the process?

I believe 10 lines is the cutoff for whether a patch may be considered
"tiny" and thus whether it requires copyright attribution to the FSF.
I'm not sure if the same rules apply to documentation patches as to code
patches.

If you are willing to complete the FSF attribution process that would be
ideal and would cover you for any future contributions.  The steps are
described at.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-09 16:42     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-08-09 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

,----[ http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html ]
| If your patch is against a file that is part of Emacs, then your total
| contribution (all patches you submit) should change less than 20 lines.
| If you contribute more, you have to assign the copyright of your
| contribution to the Free Software Foundation (see below).
`----

Memnon

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-15 13:57       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-15 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Memnon and Eric,

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I believe 10 lines is the cutoff for whether a patch may be considered
>> "tiny" and thus whether it requires copyright attribution to the FSF.
>
> ,----[ http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html ]
> | If your patch is against a file that is part of Emacs, then your total
> | contribution (all patches you submit) should change less than 20 lines.
> | If you contribute more, you have to assign the copyright of your
> | contribution to the Free Software Foundation (see below).
> `----

Emacs says "fewer than 15 lines":

  http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/annotate/head:/etc/CONTRIBUTE

  We can accept small changes (roughly, fewer than 15 lines) without
  legal papers.  Anything more substantial requires a copyright
  disclaimer or assignment (the latter is preferred, especially for
  larger changes).  Both of these involved filling out a short form and
  filing it with the FSF.  The process is straightforward -- contact us
  at emacs-devel@gnu.org to obtain the relevant forms.

I've updated worg/org-contribute.org to reflect this.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-15 14:03   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-15 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> I see my name in there. I only submitted a small (touching less than
> 20 lines) documentation patch[1].

I just checked this commit: the change removes 18 lines and replaces
them with 15 lines, so this can be considered as rewriting.  I will mark
this as a "TINYCHANGE" in Emacs.

> Would I still need to sign the copyright assignment?

No.

> If so, how do I initiate the process?

I attach the instructions in case you want to assign your copyright to
the FSF for future changes.

Thanks,

[-- Attachment #2: request-assign-future.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1007 bytes --]

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

  Org-mode, which is part of Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

 Bastien

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-15 14:04     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-08-15 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>> If so, how do I initiate the process?
>
> I attach the instructions in case you want to assign your copyright to
> the FSF for future changes.

Thanks a lot. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-15 14:35   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Ligon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ethan,

Ethan Ligon <ligon@are.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I'm afraid I'm mentioned twice.  The first has to do with copyright
> assignment; I've begun the process described in org-contribute.org
> to assign copyright to the FSF.

Thanks -- the contribution was small enough this time, I marked it as
"(tiny change)" in the Emacs ChangeLog.

> The second has to do with an incomplete ChangeLog entry for one of my
> patches (commit 49e6bc899758114d6d29e69a8f9e40798d26782b).  I don't
> know the best to clean this up, since the ChangeLog is derived from
> the git log.  But here's a ChangeLog entry that I think would have been
> valid:

I've committed the updated ChangeLog in Emacs trunk.  Thanks for this!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-15 14:39 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-15 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Memnon,

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

>        http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/142944
>
> I don't know anything about this, but maybe something can be said/done
> about it while Bastien enjoys his vacation?

Thanks for the heads-up -- I just answered to Glenn and fixed the more
obvious problems.  I'm now waiting Achim's and Pieter's answers about
their copyright status wrt FSF.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Merge org-7.7 into emacs
@ 2011-08-27 15:31   ` Pieter Praet
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-08-27 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:39:44 +0200, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Memnon,
>
> Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> >        http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/142944
> >
> > I don't know anything about this, but maybe something can be said/done
> > about it while Bastien enjoys his vacation?
>
> Thanks for the heads-up -- I just answered to Glenn and fixed the more
> obvious problems.  I'm now waiting Achim's and Pieter's answers about
> their copyright status wrt FSF.
>
> Best,
>
> --
>  Bastien

Apologies for being so late to the party.  The weather was/is simply too good :)

I've submitted the assignment form request a few days ago, but have yet
to receive confirmation of any sort or form.

Will keep you posted.

Peace

--
Pieter