* Agenda views w/m: inconsistency, bug
@ 2011-10-23 10:06 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-10-23 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

In short:

  Personally I do think that org-aganda-week-view[1] and
  org-agenda-month-view behave differently. The first one shows
  today and the upcoming six days whereas the month view shows the
  current calendar month, independent of the current day.

Example problem:

  Last week I started to use calendar export to ics/Google Calendar.
  Therefore I am using org-agenda-month-view to narrow down my data
  that gets exported.

  If I export my agenda today, I only get about a week of agenda
  days I am interested (upcoming schedule) and more than three weeks
  of agenda days that are of no use for me any more (past).

I propose:

  I'd personally prefer org-agenda-month-view showing today and the
  upcoming 30 days instead.

  1. There is a bug in the documentation btw: instead of
     http://orgmode.org/org.html#Agenda-commands

--
Karl Voit

* Re: Agenda views w/m: inconsistency, bug
@ 2011-10-23 10:14 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-10-23 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:06, Karl Voit <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:
>  Personally I do think that org-aganda-week-view[1] and
>  org-agenda-month-view behave differently. The first one shows
>  today and the upcoming six days whereas the month view shows the
>  current calendar month, independent of the current day.

Week view shows one calendar week (Monday - Sunday) for me.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Agenda views w/m: inconsistency, bug
@ 2011-10-23 10:17 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-10-23 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 23.10.2011, at 12:06, Karl Voit wrote:

> Hi!
>
> In short:
>
>  Personally I do think that org-aganda-week-view[1] and
>  org-agenda-month-view behave differently. The first one shows
>  today and the upcoming six days whereas the month view shows the
>  current calendar month, independent of the current day.

You are right that this looks inconsistent, however, it is not.

You get this view for the weekly agenda only because
org-agenda-start-on-weekday is nil.  You can set it to 1 to
make the week agenda start on Monday and then be consistent with
the monthly view.

You are looking for a view that covers 30 days.
The view you are requesting can be made with

C-u 30 C-c a a

or with a simple custom command that sets
org-agenda-span to 30 in the options section
of the command.

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2011-10-23 11:14   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-10-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten!

* Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> You get this view for the weekly agenda only because
> org-agenda-start-on-weekday is nil.  You can set it to 1 to
> make the week agenda start on Monday and then be consistent with
> the monthly view.

Oh, I see.

> You are looking for a view that covers 30 days.
> The view you are requesting can be made with
>
> C-u 30 C-c a a
>
> or with a simple custom command that sets
> org-agenda-span to 30 in the options section
> of the command.

Perfect! Thank you very much!

That leaves just for the bug that «org-aganda-day-view» should be
replaced by «org-aganda-week-view» one time at
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Agenda-commands

--
Karl Voit

* ELISP (was: Agenda views w/m: inconsistency, bug)
@ 2011-10-23 13:01   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-10-23 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are looking for a view that covers 30 days.
> The view you are requesting can be made with
>
> C-u 30 C-c a a
>
> or with a simple custom command that sets
> org-agenda-span to 30 in the options section
> of the command.

I am (almost) to afraid to ask here (OT, newbee, ...):

For now I used:

,----[ from my .emacs ]
| (defun vk-export-agenda()
|   "Exports monthly Org-mode agenda to agenda.ics file"
|   (interactive)
|   (org-agenda-list)
|   (org-agenda-month-view)
|   (org-write-agenda "~/org-mode/agenda.ics")
| )
`----

I tried by myself but failed miserable. How can I add this
org-agenda-span to this function definition?

And: is there an (E)LISP book/URL you can recommend? I do have
programming experience and I noticed that I should learn ELISP in
order to get most of my editor ...

Thanks again in advance!

--
Karl Voit

* Re: ELISP
@ 2011-10-23 16:04     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-10-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

,----[ C-h k C-c a ]
`----

,----[ C-h f org-agenda-list ]
| (org-agenda-list &optional INCLUDE-ALL START-DAY SPAN)
| With a numeric prefix argument in an interactive call, the agenda will
| span INCLUDE-ALL days.  Lisp programs should instead specify SPAN to change
| the number of days.  SPAN defaults to `org-agenda-span'.
`----

So, try
    (org-agenda-list nil nil 30)
    (org-write-agenda "~/org-mode/agenda.ics")

> And: is there an (E)LISP book/URL you can recommend? I do have
> programming experience and I noticed that I should learn ELISP in
> order to get most of my editor ...

"An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp" should come with your
emacs. Good way to get started.

And "The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual" is very useful, too.

hth, my elips knowledge is *very* limited, though ...

Memnon