* Smarter fill-paragraph behaviour in #+XXX: comments
@ 2012-07-19 23:55 Paul Sexton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Sexton @ 2012-07-19 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I became annoyed at how, when pressing M-Q (fill-paragraph) while in a
block like this:

#+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need
#+CAPTION: to describe my table in excruciating and unnecessary detail

Org takes no account of the #+ directives and simply smooshes all the
lines together like this:

#+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need +CAPTION: to describe my
#table in excruciating and unnecessary detail

So I wrote the following function. I have it bound to M-q in org-mode.
Its behaviour:
1. It wraps a series of #+CAPTION lines as if the caption directives are
not there -- ie it turns the above example into:

#+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need to describe my table in
#+CAPTION: excruciating and unnecessary detail

2. It ignores other #+XXX: directives, ie no filling is performed.
3. In every other context it behaves as 'fill-paragraph'.

--------

(defun org-smart-wrap (&optional width)
  (interactive)
  (let ((lines nil)
        (width (or width (- fill-column 11)))
        (start nil) (end nil))
    (save-match-data
      (cond
       ((and (eql major-mode 'org-mode)
             (save-excursion
               (beginning-of-line)
               (looking-at "#\\+\\([A-Za-z0-9_]+\\):")))
        (cond
         ((not (string-equal (match-string 1) "CAPTION"))
          (message "`#+%s' directive found, fill command ignored."
                   (substring-no-properties (match-string 1))))
         (t
          ;; Wrap caption.
          (save-excursion
            (while (line-starts-with-p "#\\+CAPTION:")
              (forward-line -1))
            (unless (line-starts-with-p "#\\+CAPTION:")
              (forward-line))
            (setf start (point))
            (while (line-starts-with-p "#\\+CAPTION:")
              (beginning-of-line)
              (search-forward "#+CAPTION:" (end-of-line-pos) t)
              (push (org-trim
                     (buffer-substring-no-properties (point) (end-of-line-pos)))
                    lines)
              (forward-line))
            (beginning-of-line)
            (setf end (point))
            (setf lines (mapcar
                         (lambda (line) (concat "#+CAPTION: " line))
                         (org-wrap
                          (apply 'concat
                                 (mapcar (lambda (line) (concat line " "))
                                         (reverse lines)))
                          width)))
            (delete-region start end)
            (dolist (line lines)
              (insert line)
              (newline))))))
       (t
        (fill-paragraph))))))

* Re: Smarter fill-paragraph behaviour in #+XXX: comments
@ 2012-07-20  7:11 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-07-20  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton.2a@gmail.com> writes:

> I became annoyed at how, when pressing M-Q (fill-paragraph) while in a
> block like this:
>
> #+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need
> #+CAPTION: to describe my table in excruciating and unnecessary detail
>
> Org takes no account of the #+ directives and simply smooshes all the
> lines together like this:
>

> #+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need +CAPTION: to describe my
> #table in excruciating and unnecessary detail
>

> So I wrote the following function. I have it bound to M-q in
> org-mode.

Instead of doing these, you can try setting adaptive-fill-regexp
and adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Smarter fill-paragraph behaviour in #+XXX: comments
@ 2012-07-20  9:06 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-20  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Paul Sexton <psexton.2a@gmail.com> writes:

> I became annoyed at how, when pressing M-Q (fill-paragraph) while in a
> block like this:
>
> #+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need
> #+CAPTION: to describe my table in excruciating and unnecessary detail

Provided you have contrib directory in your load-path, you may be
interested in `org-element-fill-paragraph' function (you will need to
(require 'org-element) first).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Smarter fill-paragraph behaviour in #+XXX: comments
@ 2012-07-29  8:20 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-29  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

Paul Sexton <psexton.2a@gmail.com> writes:

> I became annoyed at how, when pressing M-Q (fill-paragraph) while in a
> block like this:
>
> #+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need
> #+CAPTION: to describe my table in excruciating and unnecessary detail
>
> Org takes no account of the #+ directives and simply smooshes all the
> lines together like this:
>

> #+CAPTION: This is a really long caption that I need +CAPTION: to describe my
> #table in excruciating and unnecessary detail

FWIW, and thanks to the recent integration of org-element.el into core,
this is now fixed in the git repo.  Please pull and test if you can.

--
 Bastien