* BIBINPUT in .bashrc not recognized by Emacs
@ 2012-10-13 19:24 Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was trying to set a location for my bibliography files which can be found
by org mode. The following lines in .bashrc does not work with orgmode
latex export

export TEXINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bibFiles//:$TEXINPUTS"
export BSTINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bibFiles//:$BIBINPUTS"
export BIBINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bst//:$BSTINPUTS"

I have put these lines in .gnomerc and .profile also

Normal pdflatex and bibtex runs from terminal successfully locates the bib
folder and bib files and generates the document with correct references but
orgmode latex export does not. If I put the .bib file where my .org file
is, then orgmode successfuly creates the document with reeerences.

How can i set BIBINPUT correctly so that emacs finds the bib files ?

the following link says that emacs does not recognize .bashrc. Even after
putting those codes in .gnomerc and .profile, emacs does not find the bib
files

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2006-01/msg00085.html

Please help

-----------------------------
*Sanjib Sikder
*Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay*

*

* Re: BIBINPUT in .bashrc not recognized by Emacs
@ 2012-10-13 20:38 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2012-10-13 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjib Sikder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sanjib,

Sanjib Sikder writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to set a location for my bibliography files which can be found
> by org mode. The following lines in .bashrc does not work with orgmode
> latex export
>
> export TEXINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bibFiles//:$TEXINPUTS"
> export BSTINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bibFiles//:$BIBINPUTS"
> export BIBINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bst//:$BSTINPUTS"

That doesn't look quite right, this looks better:

export TEXINPUTS="./:${HOME}/bibFiles:${TEXINPUTS}"

Then type "echo $TEXINPUTS" in a terminal to see what it says.

> I have put these lines in .gnomerc and .profile also

I suggest you try one thing at a time.

> Normal pdflatex and bibtex runs from terminal successfully locates the bib
> folder and bib files

If the directory where you run these commands from is the same directory
that your files are in it doesn't have to look up the environment
variables.  What happens if you type 'echo $BIBINPUTS' in that
directory?

> and generates the document with correct references but orgmode latex
> export does not. If I put the .bib file where my .org file is, then
> orgmode successfuly creates the document with reeerences.
>
> How can i set BIBINPUT correctly so that emacs finds the bib files ?
>
> the following link says that emacs does not recognize .bashrc. Even after
> putting those codes in .gnomerc and .profile, emacs does not find the bib
> files

I wonder if you have another file that is loaded first so that the
~/.profile is not loaded:

$ man bash

"it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
 that file exists.  After reading that file, it looks for
 ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and
 reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is
 readable."

Myles

* Re: BIBINPUT in .bashrc not recognized by Emacs
@ 2012-10-16 17:01   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-10-16 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Sanjib,

Since Myles has already answered your question to some extent, I would
like to take the liberty to point out that your current issue is
off-topic on this list.

I would advise you try to ask this on the Ubuntu list (since you use
Ubuntu), or post on <help-bash@gnu.org> (a dedicated bash help list).

Apart from this, if you prefer web interfaces over email, you could post
your question on superuser.com, a member of the stackexchange network.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu