* Insert TODO Item at Bottom
@ 2012-10-18 23:31 Esben Stien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Esben Stien @ 2012-10-18 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I add a TODO item with M-S-RET, but is there any way to insert the new
TODO item at the bottom of the current node or is there any way to
navigate quickly to the last TODO item of the current node?.

I often run C-c a s to search, but I end up at the top and I always have
to "scroll" down to the last TODO item; this is wasting my life

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Insert TODO Item at Bottom
@ 2012-10-19  9:01 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-19  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Esben,

Esben Stien wrote:
> I add a TODO item with M-S-RET, but is there any way to insert the new
> TODO item at the bottom of the current node or is there any way to
> navigate quickly to the last TODO item of the current node?.

An ECM (Minimal Complete Example) could eventually help here, to be sure you
describe your problem with no ambiguity.

> I often run C-c a s to search, but I end up at the top and I always have
> to "scroll" down to the last TODO item; this is wasting my life

If I understood correctly, just doing C-c C-n (next visible node) could help?
Or eventually C-c C-f followed by C-c C-p, if you have a problem because of
mixed levels (that is, next node of the same level, then back to previous
node, of whichever level).

All of this can be simplified if you use speed commands (*if you're on
headlines, in column 0*): f p would replace the last key bindings above.

Best regards,
  Seb
--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Insert TODO Item at Bottom
@ 2012-10-19 17:28   ` Jeremiah Dodds
From: Jeremiah Dodds @ 2012-10-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Esben,
>
> Esben Stien wrote:
>> I add a TODO item with M-S-RET, but is there any way to insert the new
>> TODO item at the bottom of the current node or is there any way to
>> navigate quickly to the last TODO item of the current node?.
>
> An ECM (Minimal Complete Example) could eventually help here, to be sure you
> describe your problem with no ambiguity.
>
>> I often run C-c a s to search, but I end up at the top and I always have
>> to "scroll" down to the last TODO item; this is wasting my life
>
> If I understood correctly, just doing C-c C-n (next visible node) could help?
> Or eventually C-c C-f followed by C-c C-p, if you have a problem because of
> mixed levels (that is, next node of the same level, then back to previous
> node, of whichever level).

I believe he's saying he has something like this, with point at "-!-" or
similar:

,----
| * one -!-
| ** TODO two
| ** TODO three
`----

and ideally wants to insert a new TODO item such that he gets:

,----
`----

--
Jeremiah Dodds

blog       : http://jdodds.github.com
github     : https://github.com/jdodds
freenode   : exhortatory
twitter    : kaens

* Re: Insert TODO Item at Bottom
@ 2012-10-19 18:07     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-10-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

One could use capture if always filing to the same basic tree. I
believe the default puts it at the end of the list, hence the
=:prepend= option.
-- http://orgmode.org/manual/Template-elements.html#Template-elements

I'm curious in this as well, as capture wouldn't work so well if
filing all over the place, though one could use refile in the capture
window to override the main tree setting.

My work org file has a main * Tasks heading as well as certain project
trees. I've sort of migrated to keeping almost all todos, regardless
of project in the main task tree, so perhaps you could setup a default
capture location for a majority of todos and then refile (which will
put it at the end) for the rest?

Just an idea.

John

@ 2012-10-21 18:59 ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2012-10-21 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 19 Oct 2012 01:31:24 +0200,
Esben Stien wrote:

> I add a TODO item with M-S-RET, but is there any way to insert the new
> TODO item at the bottom of the current node or is there any way to
> navigate quickly to the last TODO item of the current node?.
>
> I often run C-c a s to search, but I end up at the top and I always have
> to "scroll" down to the last TODO item; this is wasting my life

This is what I use, the commands insert the new todo at the beginning
of the current subtree, and in the end..

For example if you are currently editing the org document shown below,
and are at the "point before" position, then corresponding commands
will add the two items at the top and the bottom.. Get rid of viper
part if you not using viper.

* Project
** TODO <point after>
** TODO Some item
   some text <point before>
** TODO Another item
** TODO <point after>

(defun my-org-end-of-parent ()
  "Go to the end of the parent of the current headline, return parent headline level"
  (org-back-to-heading t)
  (org-up-heading-safe)
  (let ((level (org-outline-level)))
    (org-end-of-subtree t t)
    (or (bolp) (insert "\n"))
    (org-back-over-empty-lines)
    (org-reveal nil)
    level))

(defun my-org-insert-todo-heading-end (arg)
  "Insert TODO heading at the end of the current project"
  (interactive "p")
  (let ((parent-level (my-org-end-of-parent)))
    (when parent-level
      (end-of-line 0)
      (org-reveal nil)
      (org-insert-todo-heading-respect-content)
      (viper-change-state-to-insert))))

(defun my-org-insert-todo-heading-start (arg)
  "Insert TODO heading at the end of the current project"
  (interactive "p")
  (org-back-to-heading t)
  (org-up-heading-safe)
  (outline-next-heading)
  (beginning-of-line)
  (org-reveal)

@ 2012-10-21 23:23   ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2012-10-21 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Max Mikhanosha <max@openchat.com> writes:

> This is what I use, the commands insert the new todo at the beginning
> of the current subtree, and in the end..

This looks promising, but it's not working for me with any complexity of
the tree, f.ex:

* foo
** bar
** baz
*** hukarz
**** grault
*** qux
**** corge
**** TODO
** quux

It seems totally random where it inserts the new TODO when running this
at different points in this tree.

F.ex, if point is at hukarz and I run this code, it actually inserts the
TODO item under qux.

I'd like it to insert a new TODO item at the current level.

--

@ 2012-12-22 17:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-22 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Esben,

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> I add a TODO item with M-S-RET, but is there any way to insert the new
> TODO item at the bottom of the current node or is there any way to
> navigate quickly to the last TODO item of the current node?.

From git master repo, you can now use C-u C-u M-RET or C-u C-u S-M-RET
to insert the subtree at the end of the parent subtree.

 Bastien

* Re: Insert TODO Item at Bottom
@ 2014-03-11 23:56   ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-11 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> From git master repo, you can now use C-u C-u M-RET or C-u C-u S-M-RET
> to insert the subtree at the end of the parent subtree.

Oh, I didn't catch this. Thanks;). I'll try immediately.

--

@ 2014-03-12  0:20   ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-12  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> From git master repo, you can now use C-u C-u M-RET or C-u C-u S-M-RET
> to insert the subtree at the end of the parent subtree.

Hmm, to insert the subtree at the end of the parent subtree is not what
I needed. I need a way to insert the new TODO at the bottom of "inside"
the current node.

F.ex take this tree:

****** foo
******* TODO 1
******* TODO 2
******* TODO 3

If I stand on "foo" and hit a key combination, I want to insert a new
TODO at the bottom of the current node, so that it becomes "TODO 4"

Any way to do this?

--

@ 2014-03-12 16:52     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-12 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Esben,

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> ****** foo
> ******* TODO 1
> ******* TODO 2
> ******* TODO 3
>
> If I stand on "foo" and hit a key combination, I want to insert a new
> TODO at the bottom of the current node, so that it becomes "TODO 4"

When point is on foo,

C-c C-_ C-u C-u S-M-RET

will do it.

Otherwise you can check `org-insert-heading-hook'.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Insert TODO Item at Bottom
@ 2014-03-12 22:24       ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-12 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> When point is on foo,
> C-c C-_ C-u C-u S-M-RET

I wonder if my terminal blocks the shift:

M-x describe-key S-M-RET

..gives me:

C-M-j runs the command org-insert-todo-heading, which is an
interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.

I'm running emacs -nw -q in terminal inside gnome-terminal.

--

@ 2014-03-13  7:53     ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-03-13  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Esben Stien <b0ef <at> esben-stien.name> writes:

> Hmm, to insert the subtree at the end of the parent subtree is not what
> I needed. I need a way to insert the new TODO at the bottom of "inside"
> the current node.
>
> F.ex take this tree:
>
> ****** foo
> ******* TODO 1
> ******* TODO 2
> ******* TODO 3
>
> If I stand on "foo" and hit a key combination, I want to insert a new
> TODO at the bottom of the current node, so that it becomes "TODO 4"
>
> Any way to do this?

I'm not sure if this has changed in a more recent version (I'm on org 8.2.3,
I think), but in my environment, C-RET on a headline inserts a new headline
at the same level *and* skips over any subheadings at lower levels. That is:

** Headline (Point is here)
*** TODO 1
*** TODO 2

If I hit C-RET with the point on the indicated line, then I get:

** Headline
*** TODO 1
*** TODO 2
** (Point is here)

And from here, I need only to type M-<right> (demote the heading) and
S-<right> (add TODO), producing:

** Headline
*** TODO 1
*** TODO 2
*** TODO (Point is here)

If I'm not mistaken, that matches the request: I have a new TODO headline,
one level below the headline where I started, and after all of the existing
subheadings.

Including modifier keys, that's six keystrokes: C-RET M-<right> S-<right>,
which hardly seems onerous enough to arouse much interest in various
combinations of C-u with other commands. My brain is already full. I'd
rather use combinations of simple commands I already know. (But I guess this
violates one of org-mode's governing principles: If you need three commands
to do it, why, we can cut that down to one command by adding umpteen
modifiers somewhere. :-p )

For myself, I'll stick with the Occam's Razor solution...
hjh

* Re: Insert TODO Item at Bottom
@ 2014-03-13 11:29         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-13 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> I wonder if my terminal blocks the shift:

Yes it does :)

--
 Bastien