* automagically changing roman enumeration to alphabetical
@ 2013-03-07  9:10 Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2013-03-07  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

I was surprised by this behaviour.

Find a new org-mode file. Type "i)" and then hit M-Ret. The "i)" gets
renamed as "a)" and "b)" is added on the next line.

I would have expected that we get "ii)" on the next line and the "i)"
would be left alone.

Is this working as intended?

* Re: automagically changing roman enumeration to alphabetical
@ 2013-03-07  9:13 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-07  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rudin; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Paul,

Paul Rudin <paul-sqPYmOVXOov10XsdtD+oqA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Is this working as intended?

Yes, because roman enumeration is not supported by Org.
Org believes i) is the 9th item in an alphabetical list
and converts it to a) if it is the first one.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: automagically changing roman enumeration to alphabetical
@ 2013-03-14  8:59 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-03-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rudin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Rudin <paul@rudin.co.uk> writes:

> I was surprised by this behaviour.
>
> Find a new org-mode file. Type "i)" and then hit M-Ret. The "i)" gets
> renamed as "a)" and "b)" is added on the next line.
>
> I would have expected that we get "ii)" on the next line and the "i)"
> would be left alone.
>
> Is this working as intended?

It is.  Roman enumeration is not supported.  Org treats i) as alphabetic
enumeration and "re-numbers" the list when you hit M-RET.

The org info manual is out of date in this regard, by the way, in that
it only mentions number based enumerated lists (1., 2., ...).

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3f-1199-g3a0e55