* [solution] Chinese characters in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-21  1:33 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-04-21  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

FWIW, this is what it took for me to get Chinese characters to export
in beamer. (Adding a TODO to write this up for worg.)

1. Use texlive 2012. (The Ubuntu packages for 12.04 date back to 2009.
I couldn't get them to work for this.)

2. In the preamble of your org document:

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{CJKutf8}

#+BEGIN_LaTeX
\AtBeginDocument{%
\begin{CJK}{UTF8}{gbsn}}
\AtEndDocument{%
\end{CJK}}
#+END_LaTeX

These LaTeX snippets come from the documentation of the CJK package.
"gbsn" is for simplified Chinese characters (used on the mainland).
Other options for Chinese may be found at:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Internationalization#Chinese

That pretty much did it (although it took quite a bit of sleuthing to
find this, thanks to a fair amount of out of date information that
will never, ever die in the big search engines).

Except for one problem. LaTeX inputenc will complain about the Chinese
characters being "not set up for use with LaTeX," but the document
does render. I'll have to leave that question aside for the moment,
but this isn't the last time I'll need Chinese characters in a
presentation so I'll come back to that before posting anything on
worg. (Or, maybe a sophisticated LaTeX user knows what is wrong?)

hjh

* Re: [solution] Chinese characters in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-21  3:09 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-04-21  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> FWIW, this is what it took for me to get Chinese characters to export
> in beamer. (Adding a TODO to write this up for worg.)
>
> 1. Use texlive 2012. (The Ubuntu packages for 12.04 date back to 2009.
> I couldn't get them to work for this.)
>
> 2. In the preamble of your org document:
>
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{CJKutf8}
>
> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
> \AtBeginDocument{%
> \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{gbsn}}
> \AtEndDocument{%
> \end{CJK}}
> #+END_LaTeX
>
> These LaTeX snippets come from the documentation of the CJK package.
> "gbsn" is for simplified Chinese characters (used on the mainland).
> Other options for Chinese may be found at:
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Internationalization#Chinese
>
> That pretty much did it (although it took quite a bit of sleuthing to
> find this, thanks to a fair amount of out of date information that
> will never, ever die in the big search engines).
>
> Except for one problem. LaTeX inputenc will complain about the Chinese
> characters being "not set up for use with LaTeX," but the document
> does render. I'll have to leave that question aside for the moment,
> but this isn't the last time I'll need Chinese characters in a
> presentation so I'll come back to that before posting anything on
> worg. (Or, maybe a sophisticated LaTeX user knows what is wrong?)

I suppose you've already considered using XeTeX? I've got this in my
style files, and it Just Works. I suppose there's more tweaking that
could be done, but I haven't had to bother so far:

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[indentfirst=false]{xeCJK}
\setCJKmainfont{AR PL New Kai}

Of course, using XeTeX isn't always an option...

Eric

* Re: [solution] Chinese characters in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-21 12:55 ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2013-04-21 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

Maybe my org config can give you some informations:

https://github.com/tumashu/emacs-helper/blob/master/eh-org.el