* How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-05-31 15:07 Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2014-05-31 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all,

Suppose I have a string, "my first task", that I know is tagged with
"laptop".

I want to search through the agenda files for a headline that matches this
string, to be able to mark it as DONE (in an automated fashion).

I can't find a function to search through for the headline --- is there one?

Else, is it best to concat all the agenda files into a larger buffer, then
parse the buffer and iterate through the headlines with org-element-map?

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-05-31 15:27 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-05-31 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Poole <lists@chrispoole.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Suppose I have a string, "my first task", that I know is tagged with
> "laptop".
>
> I want to search through the agenda files for a headline that matches
> this string, to be able to mark it as DONE (in an automated fashion).
>
> I can't find a function to search through for the headline --- is
> there one?
>
> Else, is it best to concat all the agenda files into a larger buffer,
> then parse the buffer and iterate through the headlines with
> org-element-map?
>

> Cheers,
> Chris

Depending on how automated you need this to be, the `org-map-entries'
function can be given a scope of 'agenda (see its docstring). You could
call it with the agenda scope and a matcher for the "laptop" tag -- that
would at least get you all the headings in all the agenda files with the
"laptop" tag. Then the actual mapping function could call
`org-get-heading' on each of the matching headings, and check the text.

In these cases, though, I generally try to find a way to know the
heading's ID property, and use `org-id-goto'.

Hope that helps,
Eric

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-05-31 16:51   ` Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2014-05-31 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Eric Abrahamsen:
> the `org-map-entries' function can be given a scope of 'agenda

That worked perfectly, thanks. Here's what I ended up with:

(org-map-entries (lambda ()
                           (when (equal title (org-get-heading t t))
                             (org-entry-put (point) "TODO" "DONE")))
                         tag 'agenda)

Cheers,
Chris

@ 2014-05-31 17:00     ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-05-31 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Poole <lists@chrispoole.com> writes:

> That worked perfectly, thanks. Here's what I ended up with:
>
> (org-map-entries (lambda ()
> (when (equal title (org-get-heading t t))
> (org-entry-put (point) "TODO" "DONE")))
> tag 'agenda)

could you maybe send a little more of the code? I would like to
understand how it exactly works.

Many thanks in advance.

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-05-31 17:31       ` Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2014-05-31 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Sosa Mayor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Igor Sosa Mayor:
> could you maybe send a little more of the code? I would like to
> understand how it exactly works.

Sure --- it's part of a quick setup file for the GTD methodology that I'm
writing. The specific function in question is here:

https://github.com/chrispoole643/org-gtd/blob/6b13d4fdf024923756653e75c0ba313898ff7a9d/org-gtd.el#L111

@ 2014-05-31 17:53         ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-05-31 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Poole <lists@chrispoole.com> writes:

> Sure --- it's part of a quick setup file for the GTD methodology that
> I'm writing. The specific function in question is here:

interesting. Thanks for sharing the code.

--

@ 2014-05-31 20:14     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-05-31 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Poole <lists@chrispoole.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen:
>> the `org-map-entries' function can be given a scope of 'agenda
>
> That worked perfectly, thanks. Here's what I ended up with:
>
> (org-map-entries (lambda ()
> (when (equal title (org-get-heading t t))
> (org-entry-put (point) "TODO" "DONE")))
> tag 'agenda)

As much as I like the powerful `org-map-entries', I wonder if it will
coexist with `org-element-map' in the future, since it does not use the
new parser.

Whats the recommendation here? Should one rather use

,-----------------------------------------------------------
| (org-element-map (org-element-parse-buffer) 'headline (lambda () ...))
`-----------------------------------------------------------

nowadays, or do both functions serve different purposes, or is it just a
matter of taste?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-06-01  4:05       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-01  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Chris Poole <lists@chrispoole.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen:
>>> the `org-map-entries' function can be given a scope of 'agenda
>>
>> That worked perfectly, thanks. Here's what I ended up with:
>>
>> (org-map-entries (lambda ()
>> (when (equal title (org-get-heading t t))
>> (org-entry-put (point) "TODO" "DONE")))
>> tag 'agenda)
>
> As much as I like the powerful `org-map-entries', I wonder if it will
> coexist with `org-element-map' in the future, since it does not use the
> new parser.
>
> Whats the recommendation here? Should one rather use
>
> ,-----------------------------------------------------------
> | (org-element-map (org-element-parse-buffer) 'headline (lambda () ...))
> `-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> nowadays, or do both functions serve different purposes, or is it just a
> matter of taste?

Interesting! I wasn't even aware of org-element-map, thanks for that.
Obviously I don't know the answer to your question, but they do seem to
do very similar things. On the other hand, `org-element-map' won't do
multiple files, and if you want to restrict to certain elements you have
to do the matching logic yourself (as opposed to `org-map-entries's
agenda-style search string).

I'd be curious, too, to hear if `org-map-entries' is going to get EOL'd
at some point. I suppose it's safe so long as `org-scan-tags' remains
the heart of the agenda process.

Here's my stab at two roughly equivalent functions, one using
org-element, the other older function. Just for the hell of it I tried
using "benchmark" to profile them, but have no idea if the results mean
much of anything. Most importantly, I don't really know if
`org-element-parse-buffer' ends up using the cache or not -- I assume
not.

(defun my-find-title-element-map (title)
  (interactive "sTitle: ")
  (let ((files (org-agenda-files))
	found)
    (dolist (f files)
      (with-current-buffer (org-get-agenda-file-buffer f)
	(org-element-map (org-element-parse-buffer 'headline)
	    'headline
	  (lambda (hl)
	    (when (string= title (org-element-property :title hl))
	      (push (move-marker (make-marker)
				 (org-element-property :begin hl))
		    found))))))
    found))

(defun my-find-title-entries-map (title)
  (interactive "sTitle: ")
  (let (found)
    (org-map-entries
     (lambda ()
       (when (string= title (org-get-heading t t))
	 (push (move-marker (make-marker)
			    (line-beginning-position))
	       found)))
     nil 'agenda)
    found))

(benchmark-run 100 (my-find-title-element-map "Unique Heading Text"))
=> (164.576821235 142 23.892782392000186)

(benchmark-run 100 (my-find-title-entries-map "Unique Heading Text"))
=> (58.111630133 36 6.047778745000016)

This isn't quite an idle inquiry: part of Gnorb does exactly this
(scanning all agenda files for headings with a certain property value).
While using `org-map-entries' in an interactive function is currently
good enough, I'd eventually like to have it happen more often, and
quickly, in non-interactive functions. I was considering making my own
mini-cache, but if `org-element-map' can do it, and do it quickly
(presumably using the cache), I'd much prefer using that.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-06-03  9:05         ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-03  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> [...]
> 	    'headline
> 	  (lambda (hl)
> 	    (when (string= title (org-element-property :title hl))
> 	      (push (move-marker (make-marker)
> 				 (org-element-property :begin hl))
> 		    found))))))
>     found))
>

> (defun my-find-title-entries-map (title)
>   (interactive "sTitle: ")
>   (let (found)
>     (org-map-entries
>      (lambda ()
>        (when (string= title (org-get-heading t t))
> 	 (push (move-marker (make-marker)
> 			    (line-beginning-position))
> 	       found)))
>      nil 'agenda)
>     found))
>
> (benchmark-run 100 (my-find-title-element-map "Unique Heading Text"))
> => (164.576821235 142 23.892782392000186)
>
> (benchmark-run 100 (my-find-title-entries-map "Unique Heading Text"))

This is interesting too - and a bit surprising. On my machine, the
org-element based function takes almost 4 times as long as the
org-map-entries based function:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun my-find-title-element-map (title)
  (interactive "sTitle: ")
  (let ((files (org-agenda-files))
	found)
    (dolist (f files)
      (with-current-buffer (org-get-agenda-file-buffer f)
	(org-element-map (org-element-parse-buffer 'headline)
	    'headline
	  (lambda (hl)
	    (when (string= title (org-element-property :title hl))
	      (push (move-marker (make-marker)
				 (org-element-property :begin hl))
		    found))))))
    found))
#+END_SRC

#+results:
: my-find-title-element-map

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun my-find-title-entries-map (title)
  (interactive "sTitle: ")
  (let (found)
    (org-map-entries
     (lambda ()
       (when (string= title (org-get-heading t t))
	 (push (move-marker (make-marker)
			    (line-beginning-position))
	       found)))
     nil 'agenda)
    found))
#+END_SRC

#+results:
: my-find-title-entries-map

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results raw
 (benchmark-run 30 (my-find-title-element-map "Unique Heading Text"))
#+END_SRC

#+results:
(160.439753043 735 76.66140414599985)

# => (164.576821235 142 23.892782392000186)

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results raw
 (benchmark-run 30 (my-find-title-entries-map "Unique Heading Text"))
#+END_SRC

#+results:
(37.973595622000005 123 12.137436705999733)

@ 2014-06-03  9:51           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-03  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

>> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

>>> As much as I like the powerful `org-map-entries', I wonder if it will
>>> coexist with `org-element-map' in the future, since it does not use the
>>> new parser.
>>>
>>> Whats the recommendation here? Should one rather use
>>>
>>> ,-----------------------------------------------------------
>>> `-----------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> nowadays, or do both functions serve different purposes, or is it just a
>>> matter of taste?
>>
>> Interesting! I wasn't even aware of org-element-map, thanks for that.
>> Obviously I don't know the answer to your question, but they do seem to
>> do very similar things. On the other hand, `org-element-map' won't do
>> multiple files, and if you want to restrict to certain elements you have
>> to do the matching logic yourself (as opposed to `org-map-entries's
>> agenda-style search string).
>>
>> I'd be curious, too, to hear if `org-map-entries' is going to get EOL'd
>> at some point. I suppose it's safe so long as `org-scan-tags' remains
>> the heart of the agenda process.
>>
>> Here's my stab at two roughly equivalent functions, one using
>> org-element, the other older function. Just for the hell of it I tried
>> using "benchmark" to profile them, but have no idea if the results mean
>> much of anything. Most importantly, I don't really know if
>> `org-element-parse-buffer' ends up using the cache or not -- I assume
>> not.

> This is interesting too - and a bit surprising. On my machine, the
> org-element based function takes almost 4 times as long as the
> org-map-entries based function:

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising -- the org element stuff is
completely parsing the entire buffer on every pass. The other function
probably boils down to passing a few targeted regexps over the buffer.
I've sneakily cc'd Nicolas to see what he thinks. My guess is we could
replace the call to org-element-parse-buffer with something that
creates/accesses the cached version of the parse tree, and things would
go much more swiftly.

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-06-03 20:21             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-03 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I guess it shouldn't be too surprising -- the org element stuff is
> completely parsing the entire buffer on every pass. The other function
> probably boils down to passing a few targeted regexps over the buffer.
> I've sneakily cc'd Nicolas to see what he thinks. My guess is we could
> replace the call to org-element-parse-buffer with something that
> creates/accesses the cached version of the parse tree, and things would
> go much more swiftly.

I didn't look closely into the issue, but I think the main reason is
that Element parses headlines thoroughly, including all properties,
scheduled keywords, which is not, by default, the case for
`org-map-entries'.

For most use-cases, you don't need the parser for headlines, as their
grammar is context free. IOW, `org-element-parse-buffer' doesn't predate
`org-map-entries'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-06-04  1:36               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-04  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,

>> I guess it shouldn't be too surprising -- the org element stuff is
>> completely parsing the entire buffer on every pass. The other function
>> probably boils down to passing a few targeted regexps over the buffer.
>> I've sneakily cc'd Nicolas to see what he thinks. My guess is we could
>> replace the call to org-element-parse-buffer with something that
>> creates/accesses the cached version of the parse tree, and things would
>> go much more swiftly.
>
> I didn't look closely into the issue, but I think the main reason is
> that Element parses headlines thoroughly, including all properties,
> scheduled keywords, which is not, by default, the case for
> `org-map-entries'.
>
> For most use-cases, you don't need the parser for headlines, as their
> grammar is context free. IOW, `org-element-parse-buffer' doesn't predate
> `org-map-entries'.

Interesting, thanks! I think at first we were unsure if org-map-entries
was going to stay around in the long term, but it sounds like it's not
going anywhere.

* Re: How to find the headline matching a string
@ 2014-06-04 11:27                 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-04 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> I guess it shouldn't be too surprising -- the org element stuff is
>>> completely parsing the entire buffer on every pass. The other function
>>> probably boils down to passing a few targeted regexps over the buffer.
>>> I've sneakily cc'd Nicolas to see what he thinks. My guess is we could
>>> replace the call to org-element-parse-buffer with something that
>>> creates/accesses the cached version of the parse tree, and things would
>>> go much more swiftly.
>>
>> I didn't look closely into the issue, but I think the main reason is
>> that Element parses headlines thoroughly, including all properties,
>> scheduled keywords, which is not, by default, the case for
>> `org-map-entries'.
>>
>> For most use-cases, you don't need the parser for headlines, as their
>> grammar is context free. IOW, `org-element-parse-buffer' doesn't predate
>> `org-map-entries'.
>
> Interesting, thanks! I think at first we were unsure if org-map-entries
> was going to stay around in the long term, but it sounds like it's not
> going anywhere.

Yes, thanks for the feedback, org-map-entries is very useful and
powerful but I wasn't sure if its still a "first-class member" of
Org-mode or already a bit deprecated. Nice to hear that it is going to
stay.

--
cheers,
Thorsten