I wonder, though, whether the various exceptions like this that will stack up will tip the balance towards its being simpler for org-table to have its own set of functions that operate on the org-element parse tree, but don’t invoke org-export code. For csv this would be something like (pseudocode): (org-element-mapconcat (lambda (table-row) (org-element-mapconcat (lambda (table-cell) (quote-for-csv (org-element-interpret table-cell)) table-row ",")) table "\n") Nicolas, WDYT? If you prefer to continue using the export framework, I can add some commentary to the attached patch and install it. Thanks, -- Aaron Ecay