* org-notmuch: how to open-link-at-point in other window?
@ 2015-05-21 13:09 Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2015-05-21 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org-moders,

I want to open-link-at-point (C-c C-o) in other window.  With
file links this is standard behaviour (at least with my
configuration).  But I don’t know how to do so with notmuch:
links.  Universal argument won’t help.

Any ideas?

I think there should be key bindings for opening in same window,
other window, other frames regardless of the type of link opened.
Is this doable?

How about:

| open in same window  |       C-c C o |
| open in other window | C-c 4 C-c C o |
| open in other frame  | C-c 5 C-c C o |

?

Ciao, Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* Re: org-notmuch: how to open-link-at-point in other window?
@ 2015-05-21 13:35 ` Leo Ufimtsev
From: Leo Ufimtsev @ 2015-05-21 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I usually use my mouse and right click on the link.

C-c C-o opens things in a new application. E.g a picture is opened in my image editing application.

Right clicking opens in the right window. C-u C-c C-o also opens images in the right side window.

In emacs, Window and Frame mean something different. By window, are you specifically referring to a new plane, split screen style, on the right hand side?

As a note, http://emacs.stackexchange.com/ is often a good place for questions that have a specific, usually straight forward answer.

Thank you

Leo

--
Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team

* Re: org-notmuch: how to open-link-at-point in other window?
@ 2015-05-21 13:42   ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2015-05-21 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leo,
* Leo Ufimtsev <lufimtse@redhat.com> [21. May. 2015]:
> I usually use my mouse and right click on the link.

Thanks, I have problems, emulation right klick with this old
macbook of mine.

> C-c C-o opens things in a new application. E.g a picture is
> opened in my image editing application.
>
> Right clicking opens in the right window. C-u C-c C-o also
> opens images in the right side window.

For the key combos this is not the case with notmuch: -links.  I
don’t knoiw why.

> In emacs, Window and Frame mean something different. By window,
> are you specifically referring to a new plane, split screen
> style, on the right hand side?

Yes.

> As a note, http://emacs.stackexchange.com/ is often a good
> place for questions that have a specific, usually straight
> forward answer.

Thanks, perhaps I give this a try.

Ciao, Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* Re: org-notmuch: how to open-link-at-point in other window?
@ 2015-05-21 14:27     ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2015-05-21 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler, emacs-orgmode

Take a look at the following variables:
org-link-frame-setup
org-file-apps

They might get you started in the right direction
Subhan

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

* Re: org-notmuch: how to open-link-at-point in other window?
@ 2015-05-21 15:41 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-05-21 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear org-moders,
>
> I want to open-link-at-point (C-c C-o) in other window.  With
> file links this is standard behaviour (at least with my
> configuration).  But I don’t know how to do so with notmuch:
> links.  Universal argument won’t help.
>
> Any ideas?

org-notmuch-follow-link calls notmuch-show, which uses switch-to-buffer.
You can set org-notmuch-open-function to a function that behaves the way
you want.  There are probably cleaner ways to handle this, but below
seems to work.

#+begin_src elisp
  (setq org-notmuch-open-function 'org-notmuch-follow-link-other-window)

  (defun org-notmuch-follow-link-other-window (search)
    "Like `org-notmuch-follow-link', but use other window."
    (pop-to-buffer (save-window-excursion
                     (notmuch-show (org-link-unescape search)))))
#+end_src

--
Kyle

* Re: org-notmuch: how to open-link-at-point in other window?
@ 2015-05-21 18:10   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-05-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:41:07AM -0400, Kyle Meyer wrote:
> Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Dear org-moders,
> >
> > I want to open-link-at-point (C-c C-o) in other window.  With
> > file links this is standard behaviour (at least with my
> > configuration).  But I don’t know how to do so with notmuch:
> > links.  Universal argument won’t help.
>
> org-notmuch-follow-link calls notmuch-show, which uses switch-to-buffer.
> You can set org-notmuch-open-function to a function that behaves the way
> you want.  There are probably cleaner ways to handle this, but below
> seems to work.
>
> #+begin_src elisp
>   (setq org-notmuch-open-function 'org-notmuch-follow-link-other-window)
>
>   (defun org-notmuch-follow-link-other-window (search)
>     "Like `org-notmuch-follow-link', but use other window."
>     (pop-to-buffer (save-window-excursion
>                      (notmuch-show (org-link-unescape search)))))
> #+end_src

I think this (writing your own defun) is the cleanest way to handle
this.  There is no way for Org to ensure a consistent behaviour for all
possible link types, there are too many.  Org can ensure consistency
only for physical files, and even then when they are opened inside
Emacs.  There is no shortage of links to binary files!

For what it's worth, I have customised notmuch open function to use the
notmuch-tree interface.

--
Suvayu

* Re: org-notmuch: how to open-link-at-point in other window?
@ 2015-05-21 18:41     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-05-21 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:41:07AM -0400, Kyle Meyer wrote:
[...]
>> You can set org-notmuch-open-function to a function that behaves the way
>> you want.  There are probably cleaner ways to handle this, but below
>> seems to work.
>>
>> #+begin_src elisp
>>   (setq org-notmuch-open-function 'org-notmuch-follow-link-other-window)
>>
>>   (defun org-notmuch-follow-link-other-window (search)
>>     "Like `org-notmuch-follow-link', but use other window."
>>     (pop-to-buffer (save-window-excursion
>>                      (notmuch-show (org-link-unescape search)))))
>> #+end_src
>
> I think this (writing your own defun) is the cleanest way to handle
> this.  There is no way for Org to ensure a consistent behaviour for all
> possible link types, there are too many.

Yes, I agree.  It wasn't clear in my original message, but by "cleaner
ways", I was referring to the implementation of
org-notmuch-follow-link-other-window.  I don't know if there's a better
way to override switch-to-buffer.

--
Kyle