* master: org-complete-expand-structure-template gone?
@ 2017-12-19 16:37 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-12-19 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I just pulled the actual master (the last time I did this was in July).
It seems that the function org-complete-expand-structure-template is
gone.

Is this true? If so

    -  what is the substitute.

    -  what is the rationale to break backward compatibility?

    -  couldn't there be a file announcing deleted or renamed functions.
       I tried to search the logs but could not find any reference to
       when I was deleted and why.

Uwe Brauer

* Re: master: org-complete-expand-structure-template gone?
@ 2017-12-19 17:25 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2017-12-19 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> I just pulled the actual master (the last time I did this was in July).
> It seems that the function org-complete-expand-structure-template is
> gone.
>
> Is this true? If so
>
>     -  what is the substitute.

org-tempo.el and ‘org-insert-structure-template’.  It’s still work in
progress.

>     -  what is the rationale to break backward compatibility?

There’s a long thread about it.  I don’t remember the main argument for
removing it.

>     -  couldn't there be a file announcing deleted or renamed functions.
>        I tried to search the logs but could not find any reference to
>        when I was deleted and why.

It’s noted in ORG-NEWS:

     *** ~org-try-structure-completion~
     Org Tempo may be used as a replacement.  See details above.

Rasmus

--
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they are not

* Re: master: org-complete-expand-structure-template gone?
@ 2017-12-19 17:43 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-12-19 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> I just pulled the actual master (the last time I did this was in July).
> It seems that the function org-complete-expand-structure-template is
> gone.
>
> Is this true? If so
>
>     -  what is the substitute.
>
>     -  what is the rationale to break backward compatibility?
>
>     -  couldn't there be a file announcing deleted or renamed functions.
>        I tried to search the logs but could not find any reference to
>        when I was deleted and why.

$ git log --grep=org-complete-expand-structure-template
commit c04e357f3d5d93484277a7e439847b1233b872bd
Author: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Date:   Sun Nov 5 09:25:15 2017 +0100

    Replace easy templates with org-insert-structure-template

    * lisp/org.el (org-insert-structure-template): New function for
      wrapping region (or element at point) in a begin/end block.
      (org-structure-predefined-blocks): New option holding predefined
      blocks, for completion.
      (org-try-structure-completion,
      org-complete-expand-structure-template): Remove functions.
    * doc/org.texi (Inserting structure templates): Document.
    * testing/lisp/test-org.el (test-org/insert-template): New test.

There's been a lot of back-and-forth on the list about this.

--
Nick

* Re: master: org-complete-expand-structure-template gone?
@ 2017-12-19 19:30   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-12-19 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > $ git log --grep=org-complete-expand-structure-template
thanks this was the command I was looking for
I tried git log | grep org-complete-expand-structure-template

Which was less powerful

   > There's been a lot of back-and-forth on the list about this.

I frankly never see the benefit of removing  a well known function.....