Nicolas Goaziou writes: >> When depth is -1, wholenump form evaluates to nil, and setcounter >> command is not exported at all. > > I don't think it's a bug. Org doesn't pretend to support every LaTeX > feature. Setting `org-export-with-toc', which is where DEPTH comes from, > to -1 doesn't make much sense in an Org context, does it? I can't answer this as I do not deal with org-export-with-toc directly. I was setting tocdepth via org-export-filter-options-functions, specialized explicitly to latex backend: #+begin_src emacs-lisp (defun my-consistent-toc (plist backend) (cond ((equal backend 'latex) (plist-put plist :with-toc -1)) ;; other backend-specific settings ) plist) (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-options-functions 'my-consistent-toc) #+end_src I was able to achieve the desired outcome with #+LATEX_HEADER: \setcounter{tocdepth}{-1} If this is not considered a bug, fine then. However, this is confusing behaviour at best, and given the rich functionality of filter-options and friends, I don't see why it should silently fail here. Lots of possible settings don't make sense. In my most humble opinion, this sort of ad hoc type-checking—preventing valid document to be produced without any notice—doesn't feel like it fits a dynamic Lisp, or Org-mode.