* JShell support in Babel?
@ 2019-10-15 11:04 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2019-10-15 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

JShell is a pretty nifty tool for exploring and demonstrating basic Java
features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JShell

Has anyone happened to write support for it in Babel?

If no-one has done this, I might try to implement it later by mimicking
some other language support. Unfortunately I have too much work on my
plate right now, so at this point I am just hoping to find something
ready.

Have fun,

Jarmo

* Re: JShell support in Babel?
@ 2019-10-15 11:28 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2019-10-15 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2019-10-15 at 13:04 +02, Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> wrote...
> JShell is a pretty nifty tool for exploring and demonstrating basic Java
> features. Has anyone happened to write support for it in Babel?

You can start working with it even without official Babel support:

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :results verbatim
jshell
int a[] = {0,1,3,5,8}
a[3] = 42

""
#+END_SRC
#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example
|  Welcome to JShell -- Version 11.0.4
|  For an introduction type: /help intro

jshell> int a[] = {0,1,3,5,8}
a ==> int[5] { 0, 1, 3, 5, 8 }

jshell> a
a ==> int[5] { 0, 1, 3, 5, 8 }

jshell> a[3] = 42
$3 ==> 42

jshell> a
a ==> int[5] { 0, 1, 3, 42, 8 }

jshell>

jshell> ""
#+end_example

The last line doesn't P (from REPL) until I added the "". You can probably find a more elegant solution using :post.

  -k.

* Re: JShell support in Babel?
@ 2019-10-17 10:46   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2019-10-17 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

Greetings.

>> JShell is a pretty nifty tool for exploring and demonstrating basic
>> Java features. Has anyone happened to write support for it in Babel?
>
> You can start working with it even without official Babel support:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC bash :results verbatim
> jshell

That is a nice start! Thanks.

Jarmo