From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Build agenda asynchronously
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 09:59:46 +1000	[thread overview]

Emacs' support for asynchronous operations is at best primitive. There
is built-in support for calling processes asynchonously and
there is some other development work to set the stage for adding threads,
but I think general asynchronous processing inside Emacs is a long way
off. A lot of how Emacs lisp works fundamentally lacks the low level
control structures necessary to make data structures and operations on
those structures thread safe. This means you have to work at a very low
level in order to ensure code is thread safe and that simply isn't
practical. Even defining the basic model for an asynchronous emacs lisp
is non-trivial and once you have the model, you ahve to implement it.

At this time, this is a non-starter. It would be a mistake to expect
asynchronous processing within Emacs lisp any time soon. Best we can
hope for now is asynchronous execution of external processes and even
that falls apart as soon as user input needs to be factored in.