* org-element.el change in emacs.git
@ 2021-10-01  1:31 Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2021-10-01  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien, et al,

I noticed this recent commit on emacs.git making a change to
org-element.el:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=58102466e32d4dd9c7d816cdc3f4595a2145f332

I don't see that change in org-mode.git, and it seems like it could be
an important one, so I wanted to make sure it doesn't go unnoticed.

Adam

* Re: org-element.el change in emacs.git
@ 2021-10-01  2:31 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-10-01  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Adam Porter writes:

> I noticed this recent commit on emacs.git making a change to
> org-element.el:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=58102466e32d4dd9c7d816cdc3f4595a2145f332

Thanks for the heads up.

I monitor Org-related changes to the Emacs repo and port them to Org's.
Entering into Emacs release periods, I tend to look at least once a day
so that porting doesn't hold up cutting a bugfix release and syncing.
Other times, it's not as frequent, but usually not less than once a
week.

None of that is to say that flagging an important commit isn't
appreciated.  Just setting expectations about what the normal intake
looks like.

(Fwiw a log of the considered commits is available at
<https://git.kyleam.com/orgmode-backport-notes/plain/orgmode-backports.org>.)

> I don't see that change in org-mode.git, and it seems like it could be
> an important one, so I wanted to make sure it doesn't go unnoticed.

It came in with c763b9ae6 (Backport commit 58102466e from Emacs,
2021-09-30), and it looks like it was merged into the bugfix branch
about ten minutes before your message landed, but I probably _pushed_ a
bit after you hit send :)

* Re: org-element.el change in emacs.git
@ 2021-10-01  3:08   ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2021-10-01  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> I monitor Org-related changes to the Emacs repo and port them to Org's.
> Entering into Emacs release periods, I tend to look at least once a day
> so that porting doesn't hold up cutting a bugfix release and syncing.
> Other times, it's not as frequent, but usually not less than once a
> week.

Well, I guess I need to follow the mailing list more closely; if I did,
I'd probably have already known that.  :)

> None of that is to say that flagging an important commit isn't
> appreciated.  Just setting expectations about what the normal intake
> looks like.

I don't know, for what we're paying you, I think something like a 1-hour
turnaround time would be more appropriate...  ;)

> (Fwiw a log of the considered commits is available at
> <https://git.kyleam.com/orgmode-backport-notes/plain/orgmode-backports.org>.)

I didn't know about that URL.  That's 8 years of faithful, thankless
maintenance.  Thanks for your work on Org.  :)

By the way, I'm curious, not having always followed the internal details
of Org's development over the years: why are changes like that made to
emacs.git and merged back into Org, instead of being made in Org and
then merged back into Emacs with the next sync?  It seems like it could
be a burden, requiring someone like you to track them and merge them,
but there's probably a good reason for this workflow.

* Re: org-element.el change in emacs.git
@ 2021-10-03 14:46     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2021-10-03 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Adam, all,

Adam Porter writes:

[...]
> By the way, I'm curious, not having always followed the internal details
> of Org's development over the years: why are changes like that made to
> emacs.git and merged back into Org, instead of being made in Org and
> then merged back into Emacs with the next sync?  It seems like it could
> be a burden, requiring someone like you to track them and merge them,
> but there's probably a good reason for this workflow.

Speaking from personal experience/observations, as far as I know the
Emacs developers don't have strict rules about having uni-directional
changes.  And this is not unique to Org; I've seen similar changes in
both directions in other projects developed outside emacs.git that are
periodically merged into emacs.git.  Eliminating the need for keeping
track of such changes is one potential argument for developing Org --
and those other similar packages -- inside emacs.git itself. :)

--
https://bndl.org

* Re: org-element.el change in emacs.git
@ 2021-10-04 10:31       ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2021-10-04 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Amin,

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

>> By the way, I'm curious, not having always followed the internal details
>> of Org's development over the years: why are changes like that made to
>> emacs.git and merged back into Org, instead of being made in Org and
>> then merged back into Emacs with the next sync?  It seems like it could
>> be a burden, requiring someone like you to track them and merge them,
>> but there's probably a good reason for this workflow.
>>

> Speaking from personal experience/observations, as far as I know the
> Emacs developers don't have strict rules about having uni-directional
> changes.  And this is not unique to Org; I've seen similar changes in
> both directions in other projects developed outside emacs.git that are
> periodically merged into emacs.git.  Eliminating the need for keeping
> track of such changes is one potential argument for developing Org --
> and those other similar packages -- inside emacs.git itself. :)

That would be an interesting development, indeed.  :)  Thanks.