From: Francesco Pizzolante <fpz-djc/iPCCuDYQheJpep6IedvLeJWuRmrY@public.gmane.org>
Subject: LaTeX export of tables
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:35:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

When exporting tables to LaTeX, I think it would be good to have the following
options to be able to define:

  - the table environment to be used: now we have the option to have tabular
    and longtable, but I could also use array, tabular*, tabularx, tabulary,
    etc.

    The general rule is:

    \begin{TABLEENV}{WIDTH}[VPOS]{COLS}
    ROWS
    \end{TABLEENV}

    TABLEENV can be any of tabular, array, tabular*, tabularx, etc., depending
    on the type of table I want.

    Some types of table need a WIDTH to be specified; in this case, I would
    add a WIDTH option. An extra vertical position VPOS option can also be
    added to some types of table.

    The COLS parameter already receives the value from the "align" org
    attribute.

    The following options

    #+ATTR_LATEX: tabularx width=\textwidth align=lX vpos=tb

    would generate the following LaTeX code:

    \begin{tabularx}{\textwidth}[tb]{lX}
    ROWS
    \end{tabularx}

  - the rule to be used as hline (similar option as in
    #+ORGTBL: :hline="\\midrule"):

    #+ATTR_LATEX: hline=midrule or #+ATTR_LATEX: hline="\\midrule"

  - define the top and bottom rules:

    #+ATTR_LATEX: toprule="\\toprule" bottomrule="\\bottomrule"

Does it make sense? Would it be possible to have these new options in a future
orgmode release?

Thanks a lot.
Francesco