* timestamp with repeater interval
@ 2010-10-18 16:17 Rainer Thiel
From: Rainer Thiel @ 2010-10-18 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a strange problem with timestamps with repeater intervals and
think I am doing something wrong.

I had assumed that entering in a new TODO item a timestamp like "oct
19 10:00 +14w" pressing C-c . would show the entry in the next 15
weeks including the day of tomorrow.  In reality, the item shows up
*only* tomorrow, but not in the next 14 weeks.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance,

Rainer
--
Prof. Dr. Rainer Thiel
Dekan Philosophische Fakultät

* Re: timestamp with repeater interval
@ 2010-10-18 16:52 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-10-18 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Thiel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> writes:

> I have a strange problem with timestamps with repeater intervals and
> think I am doing something wrong.
>
> I had assumed that entering in a new TODO item a timestamp like "oct
> 19 10:00 +14w" pressing C-c . would show the entry in the next 15
> weeks including the day of tomorrow.  In reality, the item shows up
> *only* tomorrow, but not in the next 14 weeks.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Repeating tasks have a time to happen next (I usually use scheduled time
for tasks, and active timestamps for appointments, but I am not sure
that matters).  When you mark the task done, a repeating task will
automatically jump back to TODO with the repeated date.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: timestamp with repeater interval
@ 2010-10-18 17:49 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikXibUsDeJ3oECL1enGF7yWscjFxwZYJNZj=dZJ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-18 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r.thiel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:17:28 +0200, Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> I have a strange problem with timestamps with repeater intervals and
> think I am doing something wrong.
>
> I had assumed that entering in a new TODO item a timestamp like "oct
> 19 10:00 +14w" pressing C-c . would show the entry in the next 15
> weeks including the day of tomorrow.  In reality, the item shows up
> *only* tomorrow, but not in the next 14 weeks.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?

That expression tells org to repeat that event every 14 weeks.  If you
want a repeat entry with an end date, you will need to resort to diary
expressions (see diary sexps in section 8.1 of the manual).

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

@ 2010-10-19  8:13     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-19  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:53:45 +0200, Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> 2010/10/18 Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>:
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:17:28 +0200, Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> > That expression tells org to repeat that event every 14 weeks.  If you
> > want a repeat entry with an end date, you will need to resort to diary
> > expressions (see diary sexps in section 8.1 of the manual).
>
> Thank you for your most helpful answer.  I have now been able to
> insert a relevant entry that repeats every week.  I have not been able
> to find a way to insert an end-date, though.  Can you point me to the
> relevant section of the emacs-manual?

In info: Org Mode -> Dates and Times -> Timestamps

third entry on that page mentions that you can use Emacs
calendar/diary sexp diary entries so you can then go to the
appropriate section in the Emacs info manual:

Emacs -> Calendar/Diary -> Advanced Calendar/Diary usage -> Sexp Diary Entries

HTH,
eric

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Repeating timestamps with a finish date
@ 2010-10-19 11:48 Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2010-10-19 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Is there a way to get timestamps that repeat (say weekly) up to a certain
date when it stops repeating?  I have a weekly appointment that will only go
for the next 8 weeks and I don't want to have to input each appointment
separately and I don't want it cluttering up my diary beyond it's end date.

Cheers
Chris.

* Re: Repeating timestamps with a finish date
@ 2010-10-19 11:49 ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2010-10-19 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Sorry, I didn't see the other current thread on this, please ignore.

@ 2010-10-19 22:16       ` Rainer Thiel
From: Rainer Thiel @ 2010-10-19 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/10/19 Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:53:45 +0200, Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Emacs -> Calendar/Diary -> Advanced Calendar/Diary usage -> Sexp Diary Entries

Thanks for trying to help out.  I cannot discover any hint to how to
define an end date for repeater intervals there, though.  It is
probably obvious to professional lisp programmers.  But while I have
done some lisp programming, this is not really my field.

Many thanks again,

Rainer
--

@ 2010-10-21  1:31 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-10-21  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Witte; +Cc: Org Mode

Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> writes:

> Is there a way to get timestamps that repeat (say weekly) up to a
> certain date when it stops repeating?  I have a weekly appointment that
> will only go for the next 8 weeks and I don't want to have to input
> each appointment separately and I don't want it cluttering up my diary
> beyond it's end date.

Though you can't yet do this with org-mode timestamps, you can use a
diary sexp. Does the following FAQ help?

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#org-diary-class

Best,
Matt

* Re: timestamp with repeater interval
@ 2010-10-21  6:51   ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTimc5msQ188GdAG=394cH2Krvkrk3pZ7SRZOLfYp@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-21  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 00:16:51 +0200, Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> 2010/10/19 Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>:
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:53:45 +0200, Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> > Emacs -> Calendar/Diary -> Advanced Calendar/Diary usage -> Sexp Diary Entries
>
> Thanks for trying to help out.  I cannot discover any hint to how to
> define an end date for repeater intervals there, though.  It is
> probably obvious to professional lisp programmers.  But while I have
> done some lisp programming, this is not really my field.

Rainer,

Matt Lundin has just posted a respond (in another thread) which answers your question:

@ 2010-10-24 17:51       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-24 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 17:11:34 +0200, Rainer Thiel <r.thiel@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> Many thanks, Eric,
>
> 2010/10/21 Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>:
> > Matt Lundin has just posted a respond (in another thread) which answers your question:

> >> Though you can't yet do this with org-mode timestamps, you can use a
> >> diary sexp. Does the following FAQ help?
> >>
> >> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#org-diary-class
>
> This would be exactly what I need -- if it really worked.  It does not
> for me, probably because I haven't really understood how it is
> supposed to work.  I should have expected that an entry like this:
>
> * TODO Class 10:00am-12:00am
>   <%%(org-diary-class 10 18 2010 2 12 2011 3)>
>
> in one of my agenda files would make show up an agenda entry every
> Wednesday between Oct 18th, 2010 and Feb 12, 2011 in my agenda.  But
> this is not the case, nothing shows up.  What am I doing wrong?

What is wrong (if you can call it that) is that the actual argument
list to the org-diary-class function depends on the settings of a
couple of variables: calendar-date-style and/or
european-calendar-style.  As I have the former set to 'iso, in my case
I need to specify dates in the Y M D order:

* TODO Class 10:00am-12:00am
  <%%(org-diary-class 2010 10 18 2011 2 12 3)>

You may need to do the same.

I've cc-ed the org-mode list for others to be aware of this as well.

@ 2010-10-25 17:30         ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-10-25 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>> This would be exactly what I need -- if it really worked.  It does not
>> for me, probably because I haven't really understood how it is
>> supposed to work.  I should have expected that an entry like this:
>>
>> * TODO Class 10:00am-12:00am
>>   <%%(org-diary-class 10 18 2010 2 12 2011 3)>
>>
>> in one of my agenda files would make show up an agenda entry every
>> Wednesday between Oct 18th, 2010 and Feb 12, 2011 in my agenda.  But
>> this is not the case, nothing shows up.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> What is wrong (if you can call it that) is that the actual argument
> list to the org-diary-class function depends on the settings of a
> couple of variables: calendar-date-style and/or
> european-calendar-style.  As I have the former set to 'iso, in my case
> I need to specify dates in the Y M D order:
>
> * TODO Class 10:00am-12:00am
>   <%%(org-diary-class 2010 10 18 2011 2 12 3)>
>
> You may need to do the same.
>
> I've cc-ed the org-mode list for others to be aware of this as well.

Thanks for this clarification Eric. I updated the FAQ accordingly.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: timestamp with repeater interval
@ 2010-10-26  5:22           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-26  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 25, 2010, at 7:30 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>>> This would be exactly what I need -- if it really worked.  It does
>>> not
>>> for me, probably because I haven't really understood how it is
>>> supposed to work.  I should have expected that an entry like this:
>>>
>>> * TODO Class 10:00am-12:00am
>>> <%%(org-diary-class 10 18 2010 2 12 2011 3)>
>>>
>>> in one of my agenda files would make show up an agenda entry every
>>> Wednesday between Oct 18th, 2010 and Feb 12, 2011 in my agenda.  But
>>> this is not the case, nothing shows up.  What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> What is wrong (if you can call it that) is that the actual argument
>> list to the org-diary-class function depends on the settings of a
>> couple of variables: calendar-date-style and/or
>> european-calendar-style.

I have been wondering for many years: What was Edward M. Reingold
thinking when he made this horrible decision.  I mean, local
dependencies when parsing plain text dates - I guess there is
no way around it.  But in a function call?  Sequence of arguments?
What?????

Cheers

- Carsten

@ 2010-10-26  8:13           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-26  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:30:29 -0400, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

[...]

> Thanks for this clarification Eric. I updated the FAQ accordingly.

Thanks!  You beat me to it.  I was off-line most of yesterday
(examining a PhD student...) but had given myself a task for today to
update the FAQ.  Glad you got to it before I did :-)

Thanks again,
eric

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* French abbreviations for the week days (`lun.', `mar.', `mer.', ...)
@ 2010-10-26  8:46             ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-10-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2010, at 7:30 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf-hclig2XLE9Zaa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org> writes:

>>> What is wrong (if you can call it that) is that the actual argument list
>>> to the org-diary-class function depends on the settings of a couple of
>>> variables: calendar-date-style and/or european-calendar-style.
>
> I have been wondering for many years: What was Edward M. Reingold thinking
> when he made this horrible decision. I mean, local dependencies when parsing
> plain text dates - I guess there is no way around it. But in a function
> call? Sequence of arguments? What?????
>
>>> As I have the former set to 'iso, in my case
>>> I need to specify dates in the Y M D order:
>>>
>>> * TODO Class 10:00am-12:00am
>>> <%%(org-diary-class 2010 10 18 2011 2 12 3)>

In the same arena, I've noticed -- since I am on a Windows computer with
French locales, that I now have Frenchized abbreviations for the dates, in the
timestamps and in the agenda.

For example:

   CLOCK: [2010-10-26 mar. 09:14]--[2010-10-26 mar. 10:15] =>  1:01

where `mar.' represents `Tue' (mardi, Tuesday).

Though, I must admit that the use of French abbreviations for the *week days*
is not always done: at some point in time, Org reverts to using English week
days abbreviations. But I still don't understand when, what's the cut-off
reason for the change in behavior.

Can you help, please?

My params are:

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-10-14 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/g/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

and, for the sake of completeness, here is the value of two variables which
could be of interest:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(describe-variable 'calendar-date-style)
#+end_src

#+results:
#+begin_example
calendar-date-style is a variable defined in `calendar.el'.
Its value is iso

Documentation:
Your preferred style for writing dates.
The options are:
`american' - month/day/year
`european' - day/month/year
`iso'      - year/month/day
This affects how dates written in your diary are interpreted.
It also affects date display, as well as those calendar and diary
functions that take a date as an argument, e.g. `diary-date', by
changing the order in which the arguments are interpreted.

Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
calendar package is already loaded).  Rather, use either
M-x customize or the function `calendar-set-date-style'.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 23.1 of Emacs.
#+end_example

and:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(describe-variable 'european-calendar-style)
#+end_src

#+results:
#+begin_example
european-calendar-style is a variable defined in `calendar.el'.
Its value is nil

  This variable is obsolete since 23.1;
  use `calendar-date-style' instead.

Documentation:
Non-nil means use the European style of dates in the diary and display.
In this case, a date like 1/2/1990 would be interpreted as
February 1, 1990.  See `diary-european-date-forms' for the
default European diary date styles.

Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
calendar package is already loaded).  Rather, use either
M-x customize or the function `calendar-set-date-style'.

You can customize this variable.
#+end_example

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: French abbreviations for the week days (`lun.', `mar.', `mer.', ...)
@ 2010-12-21  9:24               ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-12-21  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> In the same arena, I've noticed -- since I am on a Windows computer with
> French locales, that I now have Frenchized abbreviations for the dates, in
> the timestamps and in the agenda.
>
> For example:
>
>    CLOCK: [2010-10-26 mar. 09:14]--[2010-10-26 mar. 10:15] =>  1:01
>
> where `mar.' represents `Tue' (mardi, Tuesday).

I finally found the solution, which I'm sharing with you:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq system-time-locale "C")
#+end_src

instead of: