* Question about org-beamer overlays
@ 2011-03-09 18:59 Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-03-09 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I use beamer for presentations and appreciate the fine-grained control
over effects that it provides. For instance, I can combine overlay
specifications with includegraphics to mix and match different text and
images on the same frame.

\begin{frame}
\frametitle{A Title}

\begin{columns}[c]

\column{2in}
\begin{itemize}
\item \emph{Text on first and second slides}
  \begin{itemize}
  \item<2-> Text on second slide
  \item<2-> \textbf<3>{Text on second slide, bold on third slide}
  \end{itemize}
\end{itemize}

\column{3in}
\includegraphics<1>[height=3in]{image1.jpg} % first slide only
\includegraphics<2>[height=3in]{image2.jpg} % second slide only
\includegraphics<3>[height=3in]{image3.jpg} % third slide only
\end{columns}
\end{frame}

Any ideas how I might accomplish similar effects in org-beamer (without
having too hack up the org file with too much LaTeX code)?

More generally, I'd be curious to learn how others use org beamer. Is
its primary purpose to create "quick and dirty" bullet-point
presentations? I generally find that I have to insert so much LaTeX code
into the org outline that it defeats the purpose of using org for
drafting the presentation. So perhaps I'm too fussy. :)

Any insights and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Question about org-beamer overlays
@ 2011-03-10 13:31 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-10 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> I use beamer for presentations and appreciate the fine-grained control
> over effects that it provides. For instance, I can combine overlay
> specifications with includegraphics to mix and match different text and
> images on the same frame.
>
> \begin{frame}
> \frametitle{A Title}
>
> \begin{columns}[c]
>
> \column{2in}
> \begin{itemize}
> \item \emph{Text on first and second slides}
>   \begin{itemize}
>   \item<2-> Text on second slide
>   \item<2-> \textbf<3>{Text on second slide, bold on third slide}
>   \end{itemize}
> \end{itemize}
>
> \column{3in}
> \includegraphics<1>[height=3in]{image1.jpg} % first slide only
> \includegraphics<2>[height=3in]{image2.jpg} % second slide only
> \includegraphics<3>[height=3in]{image3.jpg} % third slide only
> \end{columns}
> \end{frame}
>
> Any ideas how I might accomplish similar effects in org-beamer (without
> having too hack up the org file with too much LaTeX code)?

The attached (with three different figures...) will do the job although
it does use latex for graphics statements unfortunately.  It may be
possible to use the ATTR_LATEX feature to bring in the <N>
specifications but I don't know how if so.  I have to change the column
widths to fractions of \textwidth as that is the default.  Again, it may
be possible to specify actual sizes but I don't know how.  I prefer
fractions in any case as I don't have to worry about the actual "size"
then (and so works for posters as well!).

> More generally, I'd be curious to learn how others use org beamer. Is
> its primary purpose to create "quick and dirty" bullet-point
> presentations? I generally find that I have to insert so much LaTeX code
> into the org outline that it defeats the purpose of using org for
> drafting the presentation. So perhaps I'm too fussy. :)

I have just converted a series of lecture notes (30-40 lectures, several
hundred slides) from latex to org and I have kept explicit latex only
for the following:

1. tikz pictures
2. the odd \uncover<N> aspects on some slides (for pedagogical reasons).

Everything else is handled by org directly including transitions in
lists and columns (use BEAMER_envargs).

> Any insights and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Start by having latex snippets where you need them until you figure out
how to do things natively in org.  The nice thing about org is that you
can have pretty much as much latex as you want and it works just fine.
I used the babel approach in the attachment but I could have done:

#+begin_latex
\includegraphics...
#+end_latex

instead.  The nice thing about the babel approach is that you can then
edit the latex in a latex (auctex in my case) specific mode within
emacs.

Further, just being able to have the other features of org at hand
(outlining, navigation, inline tasks, markup) makes it worth paying the
price of the odd latex code!  Some of this is available in auctex, of
course, but I find org much more natural: it doesn't get in the way of
the content generation, which is what is important after all.

[-- Attachment #2: single slide example --]
[-- Type: text/orgmode, Size: 1508 bytes --]

#+title: Testing Beamer in Org
#+author: Eric S Fraga
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]

#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2

#+startup: oddeven
#+startup: fninline

#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Env Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)

#+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{Madrid}\usecolortheme{default}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{tikz}

* Introduction
** A Title
*** left column                                       :BMCOL:B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.4
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
    :END:

    - /Text on first and second slides/
      - <2-> Text on second slide
      - <2-> \textbf<3>{Text on second slide, bold on third slide}

*** right column                                      :BMCOL:B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.6
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:

    #+begin_src latex
\includegraphics<1>[height=3in]{mip.png} % first slide only
\includegraphics<2>[height=3in]{sequence.png} % second slide only
\includegraphics<3>[height=3in]{test.png} % third slide only
    #+end_src

: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.25.gaaf0b.dirty)

* Re: Question about org-beamer overlays
@ 2011-03-12 13:32   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-03-12 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Eric,

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

>> Any ideas how I might accomplish similar effects in org-beamer (without
>> having too hack up the org file with too much LaTeX code)?
>
> The attached (with three different figures...) will do the job although
> it does use latex for graphics statements unfortunately.  It may be
> possible to use the ATTR_LATEX feature to bring in the <N>
> specifications but I don't know how if so.  I have to change the column
> widths to fractions of \textwidth as that is the default.  Again, it may
> be possible to specify actual sizes but I don't know how.  I prefer
> fractions in any case as I don't have to worry about the actual "size"
> then (and so works for posters as well!).

Thanks so much for your helpful examples. There is clearly a lot more to
learn about org-beamer!

> Start by having latex snippets where you need them until you figure out
> how to do things natively in org.  The nice thing about org is that you
> can have pretty much as much latex as you want and it works just fine.
> I used the babel approach in the attachment but I could have done:

> *** right column                                      :BMCOL:B_ignoreheading:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_col: 0.6
>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>     :END:
>

>     #+begin_src latex
> \includegraphics<1>[height=3in]{mip.png} % first slide only
> \includegraphics<2>[height=3in]{sequence.png} % second slide only
> \includegraphics<3>[height=3in]{test.png} % third slide only
>     #+end_src

I discovered one org-mode solution here. I can use
org-beamer-environments-extra to wrap an only macro around an image
link.

(add-to-list 'org-beamer-environments-extra
      '("only" "o" "\\only%a{%h%x" "}"))

A sequence of images in the same column can thus be accomplished with
the following:

*** right column                                      :BMCOL:B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.6
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:
**** [[file:image1.png]]                               :B_only:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_envargs: <1>
     :BEAMER_env: only
     :END:
**** [[file:image2.jpg]]                                :B_only:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_envargs: <2>
     :BEAMER_env: only
     :END:
**** [[file:image3.png]]                                  :B_only:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_envargs: <3>
     :BEAMER_env: only
     :END:

Thanks again!

@ 2011-03-13 20:07     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

[...]

> I discovered one org-mode solution here. I can use
> org-beamer-environments-extra to wrap an only macro around an image
> link.
>
> (add-to-list 'org-beamer-environments-extra
>       '("only" "o" "\\only%a{%h%x" "}"))
>
> A sequence of images in the same column can thus be accomplished with
> the following:
>
> *** right column                                      :BMCOL:B_ignoreheading:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_col: 0.6
>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>     :END:
> **** [[file:image1.png]]                               :B_only:
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :BEAMER_envargs: <1>
>      :BEAMER_env: only
>      :END:
> **** [[file:image2.jpg]]                                :B_only:
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :BEAMER_envargs: <2>
>      :BEAMER_env: only
>      :END:
> **** [[file:image3.png]]                                  :B_only:
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :BEAMER_envargs: <3>
>      :BEAMER_env: only
>      :END:
>
> Thanks again!
> Matt

This is really nice.  I hadn't thought of extending the beamer
environments list; obvious in hindsight!

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.32.gdf26.dirty)