* [Bug?] org-crypt warning and --daemon
@ 2011-03-14 18:00 Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-03-14 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

,----[ org-crypt.el ]
| ;; FIXME Find a better way to encrypt Org auto-saved buffers?
| ;; When `auto-save-default' is non-nil, make sure entries are
| ;; encrypted before auto-saving
| ;; (when auto-save-default
| ;;    (add-hook
| ;;     'org-mode-hook
| ;;     (lambda () (add-hook 'auto-save-hook 'org-encrypt-entries nil t))))
|
| (when auto-save-default
|   (message "Warning: turn auto-save-mode off in Org buffers containing crypted entries.")
|   (sit-for 5))
`----

This warning has an unfortunate side-effect when emacs is started as
daemon.

(sit-for 5), AFAICS, stops the startup ... not only for 5 seconds but
permanently. The only way to continue seems to press RET. This RET
however, ends up creating a newline in whatever buffer is loaded.

Eli suggested this:

,----[ gnu.emacs.help, Message-ID: <83pqptr7se.fsf@gnu.org> ]
|  1) modify org-crypt.el to change this:
|
|       (when auto-save-default
|
|     to say
|
|       (when (and (daemonp) auto-save-default)
`----

However, this would mean that users who always start as daemon will
never actually see it, right? So it may be better to always message the
warning but only sit-for when emacs is started as daemon...

Or is there any way to make "sit-for" work the intended way both in emacs
as well as in emacs --daemon?

Memnon

ELISP> (emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)\n of
2010-12-11 on raven, modified by Debian"
ELISP> (org-version)
"Org-mode version 7.5"

* Re: [Bug?] org-crypt warning and --daemon
@ 2011-03-17  9:31 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-17  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Memnon,

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> However, this would mean that users who always start as daemon will
> never actually see it, right? So it may be better to always message the
> warning but only sit-for when emacs is started as daemon...

I removed the warning when emacs is run in daemon.  Both sit-for and the
warning seem useless to me in daemon mode.

(Btw, I also wonder if it really makes sense to have auto-save-default
turned on in daemon mode.)

--
 Bastien

* Re: [Bug?] org-crypt warning and --daemon
@ 2011-03-17 10:14   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-17 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Mar 17 2011, Bastien wrote:

> (Btw, I also wonder if it really makes sense to have auto-save-default
> turned on in daemon mode.)

I don't see why it would not?

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: [Bug?] org-crypt warning and --daemon
@ 2011-03-17 10:18     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-17 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 17 2011, Bastien wrote:
>
>> (Btw, I also wonder if it really makes sense to have auto-save-default
>> turned on in daemon mode.)
>
> I don't see why it would not?

Yes, you're right.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [Bug?] org-crypt warning and --daemon
@ 2011-03-17 10:19     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-17 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon, Julien Danjou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 17 2011, Bastien wrote:
>
>> (Btw, I also wonder if it really makes sense to have auto-save-default
>> turned on in daemon mode.)
>
> I don't see why it would not?

Mh.. yes, you're right.

--