* Error reloading Org features
@ 2012-10-13 21:37 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-13 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

Earlier today via make update:
Org-mode version 7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-441-gf287ab @
/Users/dk/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)

Then, reloading Org mode:
Had to fall back onto load-path, something is not quite right...
Some error occured while reloading Org features
(ob-tcl)
Please check *Messages*!

I searched the list for this and didn't find anything, but I haven't
been paying close attention to the discussions of the current
configuration issues, so I might have missed it.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Error reloading Org features
@ 2012-10-17 18:32 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-10-17 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thomas S. Dye writes:
> Then, reloading Org mode:
> Had to fall back onto load-path, something is not quite right...
> Some error occured while reloading Org features
> (ob-tcl)
> Please check *Messages*!
>
> I searched the list for this and didn't find anything, but I haven't
> been paying close attention to the discussions of the current
> configuration issues, so I might have missed it.

I've changed org-reload to not report a (possible) error in this case.
However since the fallback to load-path might still be problematic if
load-path shadows exist, all features that are not in the org or contrib
directories will be reported (only in *Messages*) so that they are more
easily found and checked if necessary.

Regards,
Achim.

* org-anywhere
@ 2012-10-18  1:16   ` tony day
From: tony day @ 2012-10-18  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I've been catching up on the mailing list, and thinking about my
personal use case versus other typical patterns.  I thought I would
share a thought with the group.

I would divide use cases into three main cohorts:
- /org-planning/: org files consist mostly of planning and
  tracking content (lets call this =flow=). What is being worked on in
  this type of usage (lets call this =stuff=) exists predominantly
  outside the org-mode environment.
- /org-everywhere/: both the =stuff= and the =flow= exist within
  an org file.  Org-mode is everywhere (and that's how we like it, oi!).
- /org-anywhere/: where the =flow= gets applied to the =stuff=
  by making the =stuff= an org file.  But it's more about the =stuff= then the =flow=.

I'm in the /org-anywhere/ category. I use org-mode as a plain-text
content creation tool utilising headers, plain lists, tables, babel
and export technology (=stuff=) and, sometimes, I use scheduling,
deadlines, =todo= state tracking and the agenda (=flow=).

As a result, I
- don't like the visual clutter of dates outside of drawers, or drawers
- love column view and header cycling
- often find myself stripping an org file completely of org =flow= guff and
  not just to export but because seeing a deadline way in the past is
  bad for morale (just saying).
- I can and do ignore the agenda for weeks at a time.

So, for the way my brain thinks, there are a few org-mode design
features that get in the way.
- a =blank= =todo= state is implicitly seen as not a state at all.  I
  see it as a state (which often is =done=).
- scheduled and deadline dates cannot be stored in drawers
- drawers cannot be completely hidden
- I would like a org-remove-all-(flow)-guff option

Does anyone have similar issues?  I'd like to have a go at fixing
some of this but would like to know if it would be generally useful
to others, and what priorities may be.

Tony

* Re: org-anywhere
@ 2012-10-18 11:50     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-10-18 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zygomega; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I use Org in similar manners, i.e. for writing stuff and as a
calendar.

> So, for the way my brain thinks, there are a few org-mode design
> features that get in the way.

> - scheduled and deadline dates cannot be stored in drawers

That would be nice, yes.

> - I would like a org-remove-all-(flow)-guff option

That would be nice.  At the moment, I remove most stuff during export,
but having a zen file in Emacs would also be nice.  One of the reasons
why I use Org over plain LaTeX is that it contains less clutter.  And
clutter can often be

Perhaps something like fold mode of AUCTex would be useful.  I.e. all
deadline markers would be replace by a [d] which folds out when the
cursor is on [d].  It might even be possible with the magic which
replaces \delta with δ in org buffers. . .

> Does anyone have similar issues?  I'd like to have a go at fixing
> some of this but would like to know if it would be generally useful
> to others, and what priorities may be.

Less clutter is always good.

In general, one of the big clutters in my files are big chucks of
LaTeX math, but I don't have any idea how to make it nicer than it is.

--
. . . The proofs are technical in nature and provides no real understanding.

* Re: org-anywhere
@ 2012-10-18 22:23       ` tony day
From: tony day @ 2012-10-18 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 18 Oct 2012, at 22:50, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> Perhaps something like fold mode of AUCTex would be useful.  I.e. all
> deadline markers would be replace by a [d] which folds out when the
> cursor is on [d].  It might even be possible with the magic which
> replaces \delta with δ in org buffers. . .

I was thinking of the simpler magic which keeps tags on the far right.  An option where properties show up in the tag list like =:tag1:tag2:p:=. and then you can C-c C-c or cycle them back to full visibility.

* Re: org-anywhere
@ 2012-12-18 14:01       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: zygomega, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

>> - scheduled and deadline dates cannot be stored in drawers
>
> That would be nice, yes.

Just FYI, there is a plan for this.

>> - I would like a org-remove-all-(flow)-guff option
>
> That would be nice.

Patch welcome!

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-anywhere
@ 2012-12-18 14:02         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-18 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tony day; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Rasmus

Hi Tony,

tony day <zygomega@gmail.com> writes:

> I was thinking of the simpler magic which keeps tags on the far right.  An
> option where properties show up in the tag list like =:tag1:tag2:p:=. and
> then you can C-c C-c or cycle them back to full visibility.

FWIW, I would find this solution confusing, mixing tags and non-tags
with the same visual clues.

--
 Bastien