* in-buffer settings, tags, org-element, org-id. . .
@ 2014-03-31 15:54 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2014-03-31 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

. . . I'm getting confused about how to use these features. Sometimes, by
chance, I'll find an example/use. but often as not I'm looking at a raw
reference dump with no clue how to use (best practices) these features. For
example, org-id has http://orgmode.org/worg/org-api/org-id-api.html but no
real explanation on what it is or how to use it. Googling doesn't bring
anything either. in-buffer settings (
http://orgmode.org/manual/In_002dbuffer-settings.html#In_002dbuffer-settings)
is fairly cryptic for me too. Sometimes I can figure out what's going on,
but I'm far from having a "best use" understanding. For example, I can look
at the "source" for at WORG page (
http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-setup.org.html) and see:

#+STARTUP:    align fold nodlcheck hidestars oddeven lognotestate
#+SEQ_TODO:   TODO(t) INPROGRESS(i) WAITING(w@) | DONE(d) CANCELED(c@)
#+TAGS:       Write(w) Update(u) Fix(f) Check(c)
#+TITLE:      Worg setup on the http://orgmode.org server
#+AUTHOR:     Worg people
#+EMAIL:      mdl AT imapmail DOT org
#+LANGUAGE:   en
#+PRIORITIES: A C B
#+CATEGORY:   worg
d:(HIDE) tags:not-in-toc

I can then sift through the reference "in-buffer settings," but I'm not
much wiser on the whytofors. Has anybody, tutorial-wise, really sorted
these concepts out properly?

One task I'd like to have is the ability to embed keywords throughout an
org file so that a parser can find and grab these sections. I'm assailed
with seemingly many ways: PROPERTIES, org-element, org-id, tags -- most/all
of which I have only the dimmest grasp.

Thanks,
LB

* Re: in-buffer settings, tags, org-element, org-id. . .
@ 2014-03-31 16:27 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-31 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> One task I'd like to have is the ability to embed keywords throughout
> an org file so that a parser can find and grab these sections. I'm
> assailed with seemingly many ways: PROPERTIES, org-element, org-id,
> tags -- most/all of which I have only the dimmest grasp.

tags & properties are standard for this I would say ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: in-buffer settings, tags, org-element, org-id. . .
@ 2014-04-16 15:47 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-16 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Lawrence,

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> . . . I'm getting confused about how to use these features.
> Sometimes, by chance, I'll find an example/use. but often as not I'm
> looking at a raw reference dump with no clue how to use (best
> practices) these features. For example, org-id has http://orgmode.org
> /worg/org-api/org-id-api.html

The link above was obsolete, as was the whole org-api directory on
Worg, now deleted.

> but no real explanation on what it is
> or how to use it. Googling doesn't bring anything either. in-buffer
> settings (http://orgmode.org/manual/In_002dbuffer-settings.html#
> In_002dbuffer-settings) is fairly cryptic for me too. Sometimes I can
> figure out what's going on, but I'm far from having a "best use"
> understanding. For example, I can look at the "source" for at WORG
> page (http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-setup.org.html) and see:
>
> #+STARTUP:    align fold nodlcheck hidestars oddeven lognotestate
> #+SEQ_TODO:   TODO(t) INPROGRESS(i) WAITING(w@) | DONE(d) CANCELED
> (c@)
> #+TAGS:       Write(w) Update(u) Fix(f) Check(c)
> #+TITLE:      Worg setup on the http://orgmode.org server
> #+AUTHOR:     Worg people
> #+EMAIL:      mdl AT imapmail DOT org
> #+LANGUAGE:   en
> #+PRIORITIES: A C B
> #+CATEGORY:   worg
> tex:t d:(HIDE) tags:not-in-toc
>
> I can then sift through the reference "in-buffer settings," but I'm
> not much wiser on the whytofors. Has anybody, tutorial-wise, really
> sorted these concepts out properly?

Looks like you try to groke all at once: I suggest you learn Org
incrementally, sticking to one concept, reading about it in the manual
and testing it in an Org buffer.

> One task I'd like to have is the ability to embed keywords throughout
> an org file so that a parser can find and grab these sections. I'm
> assailed with seemingly many ways: PROPERTIES, org-element, org-id,
> tags -- most/all of which I have only the dimmest grasp.

Start with tags.

A tag is a keyword attached to a headline this way:

* This is a headline     :tag:

HTH,

--
 Bastien